framed backpack carrier vs. stroller

2kiddomommy

I'm cruising in June with my hubby and 2 children (DS will have just turned 4 and DD 20 months) as part of an extended family group of 20 people total (grandparents, aunts/uncles, and cousins aged 7 months to 13). My husband and I cruised once before for our honeymoon 6 years ago, but this will be my kids' first cruise. I know this will be a different experience than our previous cruise, but I'm excited to experience this with my kids.

That being said I'm trying to be smart about how much stuff we bring along.... I want to have things that will make the trip more smooth and comfortable for everyone without having to bring my whole collection of baby gear (and the kitchen sink!)

I've read posts concerning strollers or soft baby carriers (ie ERGO) on board and at port, but I am wondering if anyone has any experience with using a framed backpack carrier. I currently own a Kelty 2.O backpack carrier and a Chicco Liteway reclining stroller. I don't really want to take both, so I'm curious to hear how experienced cruisers would advise me. Both kiddos would fit in either piece of equipment, but not at the same time. My DD is not walking yet, so she will definitely will be getting a "ride" for most of the trip!

Thanks!

I personally would go with the stroller. If you decide you want to take a taxi or something like that I think it would be much easier to try and fold that up. Additionally just my personal opinion but I would feel better off in a situation like ports having my child in front of me visible than on my back. I know others could keep an eye out but there's just something to be said for having them in front of you. Also when my DS was 2 we took his stroller similar to yours and it was really nice to be able to have him camped out in there during embarkation and debarking and still be able to carry other items as well. All that being said I hope you guys have a great trip. Also our stroller folded up and easily slid under the bed when we weren't using it and didn't take up valuable room space.

We cruised in January with our 4.5 yo and our 15mo old (not walking). We brought 2 small reclining strollers - one for each as my 4.5 yo still likes to ride. That being said we did only use both strollers in port. On the ship the 4.5 yo walked. But we did use the stroller 100% of the time for the 15mo old. It was great and she even napped in it. We initially thought we were also going to bring the backpack carrier, but to be honest...we forgot it. I am glad in the end as I didn't see any need for it.

Are you able to check the backpack carrier on a plane for free like you would gate side check a stroller?

Also, has anyone's kid ever fallen asleep in the carrier? We have only used it for shorter hikes here in town, not had an opportunity to do longer time periods with the DD in the carrier.

They may consider it a piece of luggage unless you can get it into your carry on. OTOH some airlines let you check two pieces of baby equipment, you could probably get it on those airlines without a problem. That's why I prefer the Ergo, because I can stuff it into my purse inan emergency lol!

I had a structured carrier and honestly it was a pain to get a sleeping child out, especially if you didn't want to wake them up. At least with the soft structured carriers you can lay them down with the carrier under them if worse comes to worse. I do agree they are more comfortable for younger kids while hiking, but honestly I wouldn't travel with one. Can you borrow a structured carrier just for your trip?

Are you able to check the backpack carrier on a plane for free like you would gate side check a stroller?

Also, has anyone's kid ever fallen asleep in the carrier? We have only used it for shorter hikes here in town, not had an opportunity to do longer time periods with the DD in the carrier.

We're planning on bringing a soft-sided carrier and a quality umbrella stroller, my son will be 20 months on our cruise. I believe that the stroller will be useful for DS to sleep in and for additional seating for him. Plus, it's so hot and humid in the Caribbean, it may not be comfortable for him to be in a carrier all the time, for either of us. The stroller is also useful for carting around DS's carseat in the airport.

Id bring the stroller. We sailed with our 2 year-old a few months ago and the reclining stroller was essential snce he would not nap in the cabin during the day. We had to wheel him around on a quiet deck and he was out like a light after 10 min. You can also use it to hang a bag or purchases from. Nothing like lugging a child on your back and having to carry lots of packages around in port.

I'm in a similar situation regarding our upcoming cruise. My daughter (turned 4 yesterday) has been on many cruises. Sometimes we have taken both our Kelty and our umbrella stroller, other times we take just the stroller. We take our Kelty when we plan to do hiking in port or alot of beach time. If we don't have any active excursions planned than we take just the stroller.

The last time we flew with the Kelty (we called the airline ahead of time) they wanted to charge it as an oversized pc of equipment. I think it was $75- $100 or so. So, we collapsed it (ours has a frame too) into my husbands large suitcase, put clothes right over top of it, to avoid paying the fee.

Our last cruise (this past Nov) DD had little interest in the stroller at all. It came in handy when we did a lot of walking pre-cruise, but during the cruise it was parked in our cabin. Next month when we cruise again I'm thinking of just taking the Kelty. My daughter has napped in her Kelty before and it is so much easier to manuver in crowds and rough terrain. It is difficult at this age because they want to walk but still tire with long distances. Also, you have an almost 2yr old too and I definitely wanted the stroller option when my daughter was that age.

My advice, call the airline you are planning to use and see if there is a charge for it. If it's free and you can handle the extra pc of luggage...I'd bring both. If you have to pay then I'd either put it in my suitcase and bring the stroller or just bring the stroller.

I took both an umbrella stroller and a backpack on a Southern Caribbean cruise. I used the stroller every day but only used the backpack when we were doing an excursion that couldn't use the stroller (St. Kitts, St. Lucia). If I could only take one, I would take the umbrella stroller because there are very few places where you can't use it. The umbrella stroller is also handy to hold extra bags over the handles! :D

Archived