Your opinion pls re Eclipse Theater seating

true45

Just curious -- DH & I on January Eclipse would get to the Theater about 30 minutes b4 curtain time in order to get seats on the aisle -- not difficult at all. Believe me, we have good reason for needing to be on the aisle ;)

One evening, as the row filled, a couple stood at the aisle and asked 2 sets of people (a couple and several other people on the other side) to move over so that 2 seats that were separated would be together for them. One couple said "no", they arrived early to select good seats. But the other group did decide to move. The couple on the aisle insisted that this couple move and after several uncomfortable minutes (and perhaps seeing that everyone else on the aisle moved, too)they did move.

When this "insistent" couple was seated, one of them sang loudly (off key) and disturbed the performance, more punishment for being accommodating.

My opinion is that if you want a "good" seat for the performance, you should arrive early and not expect other people to move. On another night, cruise director, Paul, a couple of minutes (really, only a couple of minutes) b4 a performance made an announcement that everyone should move in so that the late-comers can sit there. We are happy to move (stand up) to make it easier for people to fill any empty seats in the row, but...

How do you all feel about this? Luckily, noone demanded us to move. I would not have moved in.

When we take our seats, we choose them for their location and we arrive early enough to have a good choice. We would not move to make room for late arrivers unless we wanted to. Sometimes by moving down an aisle you are smack in line with the pillars. That being said, we never leave just one seat open if we choose our seats say in the middle of the row. Common sense says most people are in two's so the one empty seat would be wasted. So why leave it open?

On our cruise there was a couple who came in late and parked themselves on the steps between two sections on the balcony. Their heads totally blocked the views for about 8 of us. I leaned over and asked them if they knew they just took the views from people behind them in seats. They appologized and moved. Easy enough to ask the question. I really don't think they knew what the affect of their make shift seats did to those around them.

On the Eq in Jan. it was infuriating because there would often be one person holding 6 or more seats for their friends who would arrive less than 5 min preshow. :mad: It got so bad that after the 3rd night, the CD announced you could hold ONE seat per person. It solved the problem very quickly. :)

Yes, eandj, there was alot of seat saving of many seats and then people showed up just a couple of minutes b4 the show - not right.

But i do get your point that leaving one seat in a row empty may have a reason (a pole spoiling the view) etc.

When we take our seats, we choose them for their location and we arrive early enough to have a good choice. We would not move to make room for late arrivers unless we wanted to. Sometimes by moving down an aisle you are smack in line with the pillars. That being said, we never leave just one seat open if we choose our seats say in the middle of the row. Common sense says most people are in two's so the one empty seat would be wasted. So why leave it open?

On our cruise there was a couple who came in late and parked themselves on the steps between two sections on the balcony. Their heads totally blocked the views for about 8 of us. I leaned over and asked them if they knew they just took the views from people behind them in seats. They appologized and moved. Easy enough to ask the question. I really don't think they knew what the affect of their make shift seats did to those around them.

On the Eq in Jan. it was infuriating because there would often be one person holding 6 or more seats for their friends who would arrive less than 5 min preshow. :mad: It got so bad that after the 3rd night, the CD announced you could hold ONE seat per person. It solved the problem very quickly. :)

Another thing that most people may not realize is that leaning forward in your seat blocks the view of the people behind you. We noticed this on the Solstice last year. The couple on the front row of the balcony leaned forward for most of the show, blocking our view.

As for the question of the OP, if you get there early for the seats of your choice, then you should not feel obligated to move in for late arrivals. You earned those seats. :)

Isn't this practice the same as chair hogging? Scope out your venue and block others from filling in.

The CD used to announce "move in so that all could sit" but that disappeared.

Disney does that at its parks and move theatre venues make the same request.

If there were columns or other obstructions I could see the objection, as with the coveted end seats for those with weak bladders. But what's the difference for one seat?

floridatravelersforlife,

The difference between selecting a seat by arriving at the theater early & what chairhogs do is that we actually occupied the seats (did not leave a towel on the seat & go for dinner). And noone is blocked from entering the row- we gladly moved to allow others to fill the row.

And, if one of us did have a weak bladder or is claustrophobic and that is the reason why we arrived early to select a "good" seat, should we need to explain that to the latecomer or the cruisedirector? Why does that latecomer deserve to make everyone move in a row to accommodate them? I don't think so. If they want to pick seats together, arrive earlier. The latecomer can fill other empty seats without moving anyone over -- there were empty seats scattered around several rows nearby. But thanks for your opinion.

Archived