5 hour tour of Sicily (from Giardini Naxos)

TurfTycoon

I have booked a 5hr tour with RomeInLimo from Taormina (we tender to Giardini Naxos).

Jany says "you have time to see Etna (not to climb it) and a bit of the countryside before heading back to Taormina"

I'm tempted to suggest a "Tailor Made Tour" or at least agree on a more detailed itinerary. Leave it to the experts is of course the default option. :D.

I would appreciate suggestions from the many of you who have visited Sicily. Should we head for Catania and visit some of the villages along the way (some are mentioned in the ships tour: Acireale, Aci Trezz, Aci Castello) before heading back to Taormina.

I have also read elsewhere about Castelmola (close to Taormina) - has anyone been to the Falconeria?

You can try this website for the falconeria at Castelmola, it is in Italian but there is some information there about the schedule for shows. We have been to Castelmola several times and climbed up to the castello and looked at the area they use for the falconeria, there was no demonstration any time we were there but there were a few falcons in residence.

I think touring the Cyclops Riviera before returning to Taormina is a terrific way to spend a few hours before returning to Taormina. There is a wonderful castle in Aci Castello (hence the name), it has a small museum and great views and photo ops. I'm sure your driver/tour guide will have suggestions also.

http://www.messina.mondodelgusto.it

i think you may be trying to do too much in a short time. i would skip catania city if you just have this short tour since the other towns are much nicer and a little closer (catania also has terrible traffic which could get you stuck). acireale is more of a city although smaller than catania with many churches and is worth a look around, aci trezza is a very cute little town with many fishing boats and nice places to have a cheap seafood meal or drink with a great view (dont need much time there). aci castello really just has the view from the little castle (i actually spend 2 weeks a year there and stay in that town). you should really leave the most time to walk around taormina and castelmola which are the prettiest. if you have a good sense of humor go to bar turisi in castelmola :). there will be a lot of driving and you should enjoy your day rather that just doing drive-by's trying to see everything-from aci trezza to taormina could be an hour and there is sometimes traffic on the way.

you definitely can't do all of the above and see etna in 5 hours, but you will have etna in view the entire time. enjoy-i am sure you will want to go back and see the rest (oh did i mention siracusa and noto are wonderfule also) :)

Archived