Belize takes another horrible hit, very sad.

Lydia B.

I just heard this morning from a friend and former employee of mine that his wife's best friend had died of a tragic snorkeling accident in Belize. Seems she was snorkeling from a 54 foot Catamaran, the captain turned on the engine and she came up and hit the propeller. Although she was cut up, she was able to talk to the staff and seemed like she was going to be ok, but died at the hospital.

Although I am sure there will be a law suit, as this was a sponsered Holland American excursion, my friend said that Holland went above and beyond to help the husband out. Paid for everything, hotels, supplied a car and even supplied a staff member to be with the spouse until he arrived back in Ohio. As you can see by the articles the Captain of the catamaran has been chaged and is loosing his license.

Such a tragedy on what should have been a fun event, accidents do happen here in the states too, but it is only putting another nail into the coffin of Belizes tourism.

Just a sad event for everyone.

http://ourbelize.net/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2461

Although I am sure there will be a law suit, as this was a sponsered Holland American excursion, my friend said that Holland went above and beyond to help the husband out. Paid for everything, hotels, supplied a car and even supplied a staff member to be with the spouse until he arrived back in Ohio. As you can see by the articles the Captain of the catamaran has been chaged and is loosing his license.

Hardly makes up for any possible negligence. Although, I'm not a lawyer, I suspect filing suit against the operator of a foreign flagged vessel for an accident outside the US might be difficult. Maritime Law is tricky.

Such a tragedy on what should have been a fun event, accidents do happen here in the states too, but it is only putting another nail into the coffin of Belizes tourism.

For some people in Belize, they wish cruise ships never started coming there. It's a very limited number of people benefiting from it.

Well, no, I don't EXPECT anything less but it is still nice to read the line did take good care of this passenger. Sorry my response confused you.

Didn't confuse me at all.......I would be hard pressed to think they would have any other choice but to do the right think in this instance......

I really shouldn't be reading all these post....any little bad story i read i freak out and want to change my plans. we are booked to snorkel in belize on march 7th.

now, im gonna be nervous and worried the whole time. we also have zip lining booked in roatan. i read a few weeks about about a death from zip lining. now im nervous to do that excursion.

im just gonna stop reading these types of post. sometimes things cant be prevented. if it's your time then no matter what you do will change it.

my heart and prayers go out to this woman's family.

Archived