Suit Vests ~ In or Out?

WeirdEyes

Who cares (or who decides) what's "in" or "out"... if he'd like to wear I vest I say go for it. Clothing is supposed to be a reflection of the person... I think it's great when people dare to be different.

Good question! I remember just the other day when I was looking through DH's clothes for our upcoming cruise and seeing those vests. I am a believer in wearing what makes you comfortable. I also think that maybe certain parts of the country may still wear the vests, some may not. Here in CT, I don't see the gents wearing them any longer - but maybe they'll come back in style to this area. I liked them.

Janet

Who cares (or who decides) what's "in" or "out"... if he'd like to wear I vest I say go for it. Clothing is supposed to be a reflection of the person... I think it's great when people dare to be different.

Well said. I agree but forget this sometimes. :o Thanks for the reminder!

Ginger

Hula_girl_2.gif.0c02adf261de95ba443c673bc1679efd.gif

Judging by what I've found in researching tuxedos, vests are in. At least with tuxedos.

I agree with what others have said about making your own statement (or your sons) by what you wear.

I've taken to calling personal style "Visual Grammar". Which basically means what you wear "tells" people without words what your personality is like.

Personally, I'll be wearing vests and bowties with my tux, even though I've learned (here) that vests aren't traditionally worn with double breasted tuxes. BFD. It's my vacation, I should wear what I want and be comfortable!

LES!

I completely agree. It's impossible to keep up with a lot of trends anyway so why not wear what you want?

Thanks for the input. I guess I'll look around and see if we can locate some. I'm sure they have them at the "suit store." ;)

If you have a Burlington Coat Factory near you, they have prices for vest/tie sets (either bowtie or traditional) starting at about $10 for really nice designs and colors.

LES!

My DS (16 y/o) wants to buy a vest when we purchase his suit. I haven't seen vests in a long time. Are they in or out?

I think vests are in for younger men. Personnally, I am not a big fan of suits but I think if a young man wears a suit, it would look better with the vest and a bold colored shirt (royal blue, lime green, even pink, instead of the traditionnal white shirt), gives a different look. I know some young men also wear hats and/or pocket watches with the chain showing for prom but I don't know about formal nights.

Just MHO.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived