Fan needed for sleeping!

kking206

We also cannot sleep at home with out a fan. It could be 20 degrees outside and we'll still sleep with the window open and the fan on our face. Need both the air and the noise. Having said that, on a cruise I couldn't dream of using a fan now that we're hooked on balconies. We sleep with the door cracked open(put the door jam between the hinge) and the sound of the ocean crashing over the stabilizers is the most soothing sound in the world. I wouldn't want the sound of a fan to drown it out.

If they take it away, I an NOT cruising without it. I will not be able to sleep at all.

Is there any way I can know for 100% positive if I can bring my small fan onboard? If not I need to cancel my cruise.

I would hate to get ready to board then they take it, I don't think I can cancel at that time.

As long as your fan is not a fire hazard, they should let you take it. If they say no...stand your ground.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1273897&highlight=fan+confiscated

I have taken my small fan with me on all my cruises. Never had a problem. At one port they looked at each other and questioned "are fans allowed". I quickly jumped in and said "yes they are". It's a small electric fan that fits in a small zippered tote bag which I carry on. Since that incident, I have made a copy of the Carnival page that explains what is allowed and what is not. I put that copy in the tote bag with my fan in case the question arises again. However, to date, I have never had to refer them to the copy.

As long as your fan is not a fire hazard, they should let you take it. If they say no...stand your ground.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1273897&highlight=fan+confiscated

Thanks. I think I will go ahead with the cruise. I am going to take it on my carry on with a printed page saying they are allowed.

I might get a doctors note as well. (Its the VA though, so that will take about 25 yrs)

Worst case is I will have to sleep outside on top of the ship.

Glad I found this thread. I have tinnitus and NEED a fan or something to sleep or I will go insane from the ringing in my ears.

It seems there is no standard when it comes to taking them onboard. Some of you have had no problems, some had them confiscated. The rules say its allowed as long as its safe,but seeing as some of you had them confiscated, I am not to confident. If they take it away, I an NOT cruising without it. I will not be able to sleep at all.

Is there any way I can know for 100% positive if I can bring my small fan onboard? If not I need to cancel my cruise.

I would hate to get ready to board then they take it, I don't think I can cancel at that time.

If you are that worried about it you should probably cancel as nothing is 100 percent certain and no you will not be able to cancel if they take your fan. Let me rephrase that...you will not get any money reimbersed

If you are that worried about it you should probably cancel as nothing is 100 percent certain and no you will not be able to cancel if they take your fan. Let me rephrase that...you will not get any money reimbersed

Thats what I am worried about. The ringing in my ears makes it impossible to sleep without some additional noise to mask it. I would not make it a whole week without sleep.

I am going to call Carnival and try to get something e-mailed to me. All I want is a solid yes or no if the fan is deemed safe. If I can carry it on and be there to explain it and have actual documentation, it might help. If they take it I want them to show me why they deem it unsafe. I can load it up with batteries as it uses them as well, but its not going to last a whole week. I will need to bring the charger along with me. Maybe pack it elsewhere?

If not, I will try other cruise lines. Hopefully one will allow it or at least give me verifiable information to bring with me.

Its that important to have cover noise. Tinnitus is no fun when trying to relax.

Thats what I am worried about. The ringing in my ears makes it impossible to sleep without some additional noise to mask it. I would not make it a whole week without sleep.

I am going to call Carnival and try to get something e-mailed to me. All I want is a solid yes or no if the fan is deemed safe. If I can carry it on and be there to explain it and have actual documentation, it might help. If they take it I want them to show me why they deem it unsafe. I can load it up with batteries as it uses them as well, but its not going to last a whole week. I will need to bring the charger along with me. Maybe pack it elsewhere?

If not, I will try other cruise lines. Hopefully one will allow it or at least give me verifiable information to bring with me.

Its that important to have cover noise. Tinnitus is no fun when trying to relax.

I've seen where a poster had a perfectly great condition fan confiscated. They then went to guest services and told them to please show where on the fan they thought it was a hazard. The pax was then given her fan back. I think what you are doing is best: Taking a copy of their FAQ page. If they do take it, go to guest services and nicely ask them to show you the fan and point to what made them confiscate it, while showing them the FAQ page.

Unfortunately, a lot of the folks at the security checkpoints are not uniformly trained. Some think ALL fans are to be taken regardless. So while you are not 100% guaranteed to get through security with it, your chances are pretty good that guest services would return it to you if you asked.

Well I always take a fan when we travel. I forgot it on our first cruise in dec 06 I went to Lowes and purchased a plastic case heater/fan and took it on the ship. I took this fan with me on the next 4 cruises. We were in a room on the glory and needed the air movement along with the noise it was the hottest room we have everbeen in on a ship. So on the next cruise was on the glory again and I switched fans to a metal one that was a little bigger and moves more air. Well I got busted in miami third time leaving that port the plastic fan that has a heating element had gone thru twice in this port and when I too a fan that had no heating element I was called to the naughty room with all the alcohol smugglers even thou my luggage was unlocked and it was taken away. I got it back on the last night and that was the best sleep i got the entire trip. The next cruise was out of Mobile and took the plastic fan/heater and guess what Yep it made it on the ship with no problems. So out of 7 cruises I have gotton the fan with a heating element in it on 6 times and just a small fan busted once. The one with the heater posses more of a threat of fire than the other but it can make it on. I dont know if the case being plastic is why or what but that has been my experince.

could you let me know what they say?

I need total silence to fall asleep, so a fan would only keep me awake....and someone snoring too...

Fan--find a small portable battery operated fan and that will be OK to bring onboard as fans are items on the No-No list to bring onboard....

I need total silence to fall asleep, so a fan would only keep me awake....and someone snoring too...

Fan--find a small portable battery operated fan and that will be OK to bring onboard as fans are items on the No-No list to bring onboard....

===============================================

Elec fans are NOT a No No to bring onboard.

As long as they are in good condition. They are allowed..

Archived