Dzul Ha question ?

MNcoop

How is the snorkeling here for kids 8 and 6. I remember last time I was in Coz. we snorkeled at a place across from Fiesta Americana (not sure if it is still there) but the current was very strong. I rememebered Chaakanab not having a current. I am thinking snorkeling then off to Paradise Beach. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

The place across from the Fiesta Americana is part of the Fiesta Americana. I stayed there in December. I thought the snorkeling there was nice. My daughter and I saw plenty of fish and "stuff". There is a bar there on the beach, next door a restaurant, and finally a dive shop. The snorkeling on the south side of their dock is good too, and there is usually no current there. Also, the current at Dzul Ha is pretty mild going north to south. The Fiesta Americana is about 300~400 yards south of Dzul Ha, so depending on the strength of the current and the direction it is traveling, you can enjoy a drift snorkel. Just get in up stream and get out at the other end. Usually than means getting in at Dzul Ha and out at the Fiesta Americana. If you have a non-water person with you, they could take your dry stuff and walk to where you are getting out.

If you have have snorkeled from a rocky shore you might be disappointed by the snorkeling at PB. Generally, snorkeling from a real beach where the sand extends out into the water isn't nearly as good as the rocky places. The reason being is that corals and sponges need a hard surface to anchor to and a sandy bottom just doesn't supply this. You will probably see some fish at PB, but not a lot else. But PB does have lots of other things that attract families.

You could try a bit of snorkeling at Dzul Ha first, then go to PB afterwards. That is probably what I would plan with kids aged 6 & 8.

Archived