Is anyone really gonna miss beliez?

rockynkatrina

Yes, I will miss Belize. I was very much looking forward to Belize. We had two tours that we couldn't decide on - out into the country, not the city. My daughter is considering doing a wildlife volunteer study term in Belize and one of the tours would've actually taken us to the base camp that the volunteers stay at. As for the aggressive tour operators/vendors outside the gate, they are vying for business, not out to hurt anyone! I have found them in many places, even carnivals/fairs/shopping malls in the United States and Canada, vendors working the beaches on resorts in Dominican Republic and Cuba. It certainly isn't something that happens only in Belize.

Personally I am looking forward to visiting Belize in a couple of short weeks. I have never been there and have heard nothing but good from friends that have gone there and spent some time. I take what cruise ship tourist say about any port with a very large grain of salt.

I think that Belize City is a seriously bad representation of the country. We were there for our honeymoon 20 years ago and then back last year for a port stop. Found a really great private tour guide and I was reminded of what I loved - incredibly friendly people, wonderful snorkeling, and lots of natural beauty. We're planning another return trip for 7-10 days, but I wouldn't spend more than 5 mins in Belize City.

I personally was never impressed by the port of call.It is very beautiful,but I have never felt so nerveous in port til i exitede outside the gate.I am sure others have sucess stories,Im only asking for others views in a nice friendly manner.Happy Cruising...

Read the threads posted in this forum. Your answer is already written there.

Never saw Belize city. The only part I saw was the island where we took our beach break. Beautiful beach, beautiful shore, but the tender operator drove like a maniac. Scared the crap out of us! I was ready to have my free drink as soon as I set foot on land again!

God willing, we will sail there on the Pearl. If they have a more sane tender operator, yes, I'd like to take that beach break again. :eek:

Must be something wrong with me, I seem to like the unpopular ports the most. I really like Belize, Guatemala, Samana D.R., et al.

I know what you mean. I seem to like a lot of places for the same reasons that so many of the cruise ship tourist dislike them. I will add Progreso/Merida to your list, it is one of my favorite places to go in Mexico. In addition to several cruise stops a year I spend 3 or 4 weeks a year there on land vacations.

I know what you mean. I seem to like a lot of places for the same reasons that so many of the cruise ship tourist dislike them. I will add Progreso/Merida to your list, it is one of my favorite places to go in Mexico. In addition to several cruise stops a year I spend 3 or 4 weeks a year there on land vacations.

Haven't made it to Progresso yet, but based on all the bad stuff I've read, I thought I'd really like it. I would love to see Merida and Uxmal and...

I agree with you two. We take mostly land vacations but also cruise occasionally because it's so cheap. The worse the reports on CC, the more I tend to like the place.

I agree with you two. We take mostly land vacations but also cruise occasionally because it's so cheap. The worse the reports on CC, the more I tend to like the place.

Hahaha, I kinda use that as a measuring stick, too. If the typical cruiseship tourist hates the place, I pretty much assume I'll love it there.

I also noticed that, now that it's more crowded & has a fancy new port area complete with Diamonds International & neon lights, I enjoyed Roatan a lot less.

While on a cruise stop in Belize in November, we are thinking about 2 SI with NCL'S Star.

The Barrier Reef Snorkle and Beach Break..(Not sure which beach) and Beach Break on Bannister Island.

They are getting good reviews on Cruise Critic but I am wondering how safe it is to actually GET to the places. I have read BAD things about the port area, not that we will be hanging around the port... just sayin'.

Should we be scared or dissappointed to leave the ship?

Thnaks for any personal comments!!!

Looks like some of my peeps found their way to this thread!:p

I too love Belize for many of the reasons a lot of tourists hate it. I love that it has not become some generic Americanized port.

I just wish the cruise lines would stop trying to scare people into not leaving the tourist village with scare tactics. Just be up front! You want them to stay in the village and shop at your "recommended" stores that pay you a kick-back.

Must be something wrong with me, I seem to like the unpopular ports the most. .

Yep... most of the people on our ship where looking for another American style shopping mall.. like in St Thomas. I don't pick my port by how good the shoe stores are :D We don't have a rain forest at home or a coral reef.

5RubyPrincess018.jpg

Archived