Chankanaab Park (lots of questions)

rarodg2

Last one. And yes, it was $40 total. DH said the only time he had problems with the steps was getting out with all the gear on. He LOVED the dive!

It was the only dive shop we saw...but that doesn't mean there weren't others.

A few weeks ago it was $10 to get there ..$5pp

3433468723232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E2344%3D558%3D657%3DXROQDF%3E232377973%3A4%3B7ot1lsi

Here is a link to a picture showing the beach area and the water. You can see some of the steps leading off to the water, as shown in the close ups in the positings above.

http://home.comcast.net/~lfsimon/Radiance/images/PICT0046.jpg

There are some other pictures on the link below, in with our Radiance New Years '03/'04 cruise.

We love Chankanaab park and are returning there to spend the day in two weeks!

We loved this place. We have been there twice. Definitely wear swim shoes if you snorkel...getting in and out of the steps is not that hard, but the steps ARE SLIPPERY!! Hold on and don't worry what you look like. :) *I* didn't see that much snorkeling, but my sister did and we heard other people rave about the snorkeling...

We had our fins on when we got onto the steps and had no problem...to answer the question about the locker, we used US dollars to pay for everyting in the park including the locker. Two years ago, they were like lockers you may have had in school locker room by the gym - not long and skinny, more square in shape. Plenty of room for whatever you had for valuables, etc. It was a padlock and key, nothing high tech. I think it was $5 and maybe a $2 deposit or something...not expensive but well worth it! It was right in the area with water and restrooms.

Carnival cruises lists an excursion on an atlantis submarine at chankanaab, but states you can only book it through them. Has anyone ever done this trip or at least seen it there?

Go to cozumel insider (ad at top of page) and I think you can book it directly. Not sure if it's at Chankanaab Park, tho.:)

Speaking of booking thru Carnival.......how much is their excursion to this park?

The botanical gardens are part of the park which is included in your admission charge. The walk around the park is lovely and we enjoyed it. As for shade, there are fabulous tiki huts with lounge chairs - only problem is that the chairs are plastic and do not adjust. You'll need to get there early for a tiki hut - it's nice and shady and the waiter will come right to your hut. We arrived at Chanakaab around 10 or so two years ago and there still were some huts left but assume later in the day there are not. We're on the Glory with 8 other ships in port. Thank goodness, we arrive at 7:30 a.m. ship's time so we'll be able to get there when the park opens at 8 local time - 9:00 a.m. ship's time.

The Atlantis sub experience (true sub that goes to depths of 100 ft) costs $95 per person through Carnival. $79 on the site you posted, but you should add transportation to that, so it is close to equal. I believe there is a semi-submersible that is less expensive.

I am cruising with my sister and a friend - we will be in Cozumel in a couple of weeks (!!!!!!), and will probably split up for that day since I am more into snorkeling and beachy things - I am thinking of going to Chankanaab for a safe place for a single female to spend the day.

Has anyone done the resort dive there and would you recommend it? I didn't have time to get certified before the cruise, but this sounds fun.

Also, are the lockers convenient to the beach and snorkeling area, and how big are they?

How early to you need to get there to nab a chair in the shade?

Thanks for any and all advice :)))

Yes, I would feel very safe going there alone or with another female. The lockers are pretty good sized and would certainly hold a large backpack and your things. They are right near the restrooms and little area where you can purchase water, candy bars, etc. Everything is close including a place to rent snorkel equipment. All a few steps from your tiki hut! Would suggest that you get to the park as early as you can. Know that there are 9 ships in port the day we are there. We're on the Glory and fortunately, the second ship to arrive at 7:30 a.m. ship's time. We're planning to get there around 9-10:00 a.m. to get our tiki hut. Most of the ships don't arrive until after 9 or later. I would think it would really start to fill up by 11 or so.

We were at the park on our 2/19/05 cruise and loved it. It was one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. I couldn't tell it was man made. We booked the package thru the Cozomel Insider and we got the dolphin swim, admission, sea lion show and the sea lion swim all for $136, which was the price for just the dolphin swim thru the cruise line. We did pay for the taxi, 10$ each way and we never waited in line. The only lockers we saw were free, we didn't even pay a deposit and they were big enought to put our snokling gear (2) and backpack in one. We really enjoyed the sea lion show and swim. We were the only 4 doing the sea lion swim and we liked it better than the dolphins. We did see the garden and the ruins, watch closely and you may see an iguona (sp?) or two. We wished we would have had more time to snorkel and swim and could have stayed longer or come for a second day. We agree that a single female could feel safe there but you might want to share a taxi with someone from your ship.

Have fun

Traci

Re: lockers. The only lockers we saw last month were the square ones near the Dolphin Discovery. They were free. You put things in, lock it with a key and take the key with you. No charge. I was carrying a reasonably large backpack and we had a sea bag with our snorkelling gear and towels and all fit into one locker, so it's reasonably big (and deep).

Re: wading beach. The only place to wade into the water is the kids' beach between the Dolphin Discovery and La Laguna restaurant/bar. The beach is smallish (space for maybe 50-75 people) but you can wade into the water. The water here only get about 3-3.5 feet deep. And there is a wall between the wading area and the ocean so that kids cannot get too far out, so you couldn't come back in that way (I came at it from the outside while snorkelling and it wasn't designed for that).

Re: steps. Although the steps can be slippery, with the help of the handrails, they are easy to get in and out of. If you are having trouble, sit on the steps and move up and down them on your bottom. You can do this with the fins on or off. What I did when entering, I went into the water, sat down on the steps and put the fins on, then swam out. Coming back I reversed it and swam up to the steps, sat down on them and took off the fins and then walked out.

The lockers we found two years ago were in the restroom building where you could purchase some drinks, snacks, etc. They were not free but maybe that has changed. This building is past the restaurant and close to the tiki huts and where you would go to snorkel (by the steps).

The lockers we found two years ago were in the restroom building where you could purchase some drinks, snacks, etc. They were not free but maybe that has changed. This building is past the restaurant and close to the tiki huts and where you would go to snorkel (by the steps).

I was there last month and those lockers are gone. The showers are still in that building, but the lockers are no longer there. The only lockers are free ones back out near the Dolphin Discovery entrance.

Archived