April 2011

snebel84

Hi there! My soon to be husband and I will be taking our honeymoon cruise April 9 on Carnival Destiny to Ochos Rios and the Grand Cayman Islands. I am so clueless so if anyone has any pointers or suggestions on the ships or the ports, it would be so appreciated!!

Went to Ochos Rios on the Liberty in July. We did the dolphin swim and water fall climb. It was awesome a lot of interacting with the dolphin, petting, swimming etc. Climbing the falls was beautiful, a little bit of a workout if you are not used to climbing wet rocks, since the climb is up the middle of the falls, but well worth the effort. Bring water shoes. These can be bought as one or seperate. Would do it again.

When you're in Grand Cayman, you should really do a tour to Stingray City...they bring you by boat out to a sandbar where the stingrays congregate and you get to pet, hold and feed them. It's a great experience! They are very used to being around alot of people, but they are in their natural habitat and still living in the wild. Usually these tours are coupled with a snorkeling trip. There are a number of independent tour operators you can book with...Moby Dick, Captain Marvin, Nativeway. We really enjoyed Moby Dick.

You can look at the Ports of Call section of the boards for these 2 islands as well, for more ideas.

Enjoy your honeymoon!:)

I would definitely suggest checking the port of call boards as well...Lots of great ideas there.

In Ocho Rios the falls is a wonderful excursion. It is very slippery so heed the need for water shoes!

In Grand Cayman you can go on the Stingray excursion - loved it so much and have a picture of my then 6 yo daughter kissing one of them :D - and then you can visit the town of Hell. How funny to say you spent your honeymoon in Hell?

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials, and have a wonderful honeymoon cruise!

When you're in Grand Cayman, you should really do a tour to Stingray City...they bring you by boat out to a sandbar where the stingrays congregate and you get to pet, hold and feed them. It's a great experience! They are very used to being around alot of people, but they are in their natural habitat and still living in the wild. Usually these tours are coupled with a snorkeling trip. There are a number of independent tour operators you can book with...Moby Dick, Captain Marvin, Nativeway. We really enjoyed Moby Dick.

You can look at the Ports of Call section of the boards for these 2 islands as well, for more ideas.

Enjoy your honeymoon!:)

I second going to Stingray City... Best excursion we have ever done :)

My husband and I took our honeymoon in April of last year, and we cruised on the Carnival Miracle. Although it's a 2004 ship, it was very nice, clean and well-kept. We had tons of fun, and the weather was great! I've been to Ocho Rios once, and we ended up not booking an excursion and just taking a local bus ride to Dunn's River Falls. We climbed it and after it was basically a beach day. It was ok. I would suggest maybe checking out any of the excursions Carnival offers and do something that sounds good :)

Hi! My husband and I are going on the same cruise. We are pretty sure we know what we want to do at the ports. We know a number of people (family included) who have been to both places and the one thing they all absolutely recommend is Stingray City. We are going to do that in Grand Cayman. As far as Ocho Rios, I have mixed feedback on Dunns River Falls. Some say it was amazing, others say it was pretty, but just okay for an excursion. My husband isn't very interested in Dunns River Falls so I'm pretty sure we have decided to do the zipline/river rafting. We both have been wanting to do a zipline and I hear the one in Ocho Rios is awesome. And it's only like $10 more a person to do the river rafting as well. I'm just trying to find out whether we should book through Carnival or on our own.

Have you been on a cruise before? We went on one 7 years ago, but it was a much smaller ship and we went with 2 other couples. I guess it will be interesting to be on our own. One thing I love about the Destiny is we had the option to pick the Your Time Seating for dinner. We loved the food at the sit down dinners, but didn't always make it to them. Now we can go whenever it is convenient for us. I am getting very excited, the countdown has begun!

Archived