Kids attire in dining room...

cruisin05

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know if kids are supposed to wear a jacket each night for dinner? I know the formal nights require suits, but I was just wondering if my 12 year old can get away with a dress shirt and slacks. Also as for the women is it appropriate to wear dressy capris on non-formal nights?

I know that women can wear capris -- read that on the Carnival site. I am also curious about kid attire. We have two sons -- age 10 and 13. We are sailing on the Miracle 6/26/05 and are really looking forward to it.

A dress shirt and pants is fine for a 12 year old. You might want to add a tie to make it a bit dressier. My son was 14 when we were on the Pride. He likes to dress up so we went ahead and bought him a suit. He's worn it a few times since. He's 16 now and just wore it again to tournabout although we had to replace the pants. The old ones were too short. The jacket was fine though. Now if it will just last till our next cruise which won't be for another year.:D

The funniest thing just happened. I guess I didn't proof read my above post because after I posted, the word "shirt" came out like this, ****.:confused: I must have left the "r" out of shirt.:o As you can see, I already edited it. :D

Another suggestion is to buy a suit on E-bay. Our son's first cruise, I bid on a new suit for him (worn only once) and won it for $25, which included shipping. His next cruise, I was able to get one for about $35. Last cruise, I wasn't quite so lucky and had to buy one from Penneys..talk about sticker shock, Yikes! Khaki pants and button-down or Hawaiian print shirts work well for non-formal nights.

Capris are great in the dining room, especially if it's a little chilly.

Non-formal nights, I just wear slacks (dockers or something similar), and a polo shirt.. As long as it's not a 'T' or a henley, he should be fine.. Penney's has slacks that are really nice for men that retail for $19.99. I purchased some on sale for $15.99.. They are great and require NO ironing.. Brand is 'Towncraft' and they have a little 'slack/elastic' in the waist for growth.. :)

Formal night is just a black suit for me, but I've seen young people in a nice shirt and tie and/or a sportcoat, and they get along fine. ;) A suit is requested, but not required..

NO 'flamers' please.. Just IMHO! :D

I got my 8 y.o. twins these cotton elastic waist khaki and navy pants from Walmart for $5! They have button up and NICE pullover shirts that match both colors and that is what they are wearing for non formal nights. For formal....I did the Penneys suit thing and OUCH, I had to buy 2! I am wearing capris to several non formal dinners as they are nice and between the calf and ankle so not short at all. One has a sweater set with it and the black pair has a silky top. I think it will be fine contrary to what some think. OMG!!! I should go pack!!:eek:

We are bringing our nine month old so I know we are gonna have to buy something I just dont know what.. :)

You have a lot of options with a child of that age. I've seen some of the cutest little guys in tuxes and the little girls in dresses. Just keep in mind that it can be chilly so cover them up or bring a blanket.

A dress shirt and pants is fine for a 12 year old. You might want to add a tie to make it a bit dressier. My son was 14 when we were on the Pride. He likes to dress up so we went ahead and bought him a suit. He's worn it a few times since. He's 16 now and just wore it again to tournabout although we had to replace the pants. The old ones were too short. The jacket was fine though. Now if it will just last till our next cruise which won't be for another year.:D

You must have a great son. There is no way my son would wear a shirt and tie on casual nights. Hard enough to get him to dress up on formal nights. It's getting easier as he gets older, (15 now) but never without a fight. :)

Bill

Carnival told me they could get away with jeans & a polo shirt on non formal nights.

AGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH! Here we go again.. JEANS..!! :eek:

I don't know who you refer to as 'Carnival' but nowhere can I find that..

If it was your PVP, I'll just leave it be.. sometimes they can be so naive! :rolleyes:

Now if you are talking the buffets, you can wear just about anything.. :p or lack thereof..

My 4 yr old grandson wore long jeans and a T shirt on the non-formal nights in the dining room and no old ladies fainted or old men stroked out that I can remember. The smaller guys tend to end up with some of their dinner on them as well as in them, so relax. All of the adults in our group were dressed very appropriately and my grandson wore docker type pants with a dress shirt (no tie) on the formal nights and the fashion police never wrote us a citation!

Check out the pic that I posted in my reply on the 'my children are picky eaters' thread. He is dancing with the wait staff in jeans and a T. I may never live down the embarrasment!

Pat - He's adorable! I truly appreciate the attention the staff pays to the kids in the dining room - my kids really enjoyed dinner because of it. The now-9 YO got up to dance a few times, and the staff missed the little guys when the dined with Camp Carnival!

do any of the cruiselines actually have employees that are the fashion police at dinnertime?

Bill

It depends on the line and the ship. Sometimes the Maitre 'D WILL turn people away at the door, but it is rare.

nybumpkin

yes, he is.

Being a Grandpa is the very best job I have ever had!

If the waiters have children at home, you know that they have to really miss them. They love to talk about them, show off pics, and will take great care of the little guys in your group. We always ask about the family back home and show interest in the staff. We have always been repaid with AAA+ service.

Archived