Do we need to purchase snorkel vests?

pitterpattershoppe

Yes, we have snorkeled...we did a good bit in Hawaii and some in Florida (looking for seashells). But, it's been over ten years since we've snorkeled with a cruise (all of our tours are with outside vendors), so I don't know whether things have changed. We didn't need vests in Hawaii. We'd prefer not to wear them, as I do think they'd hinder us. We'll be snorkeling in touristy spots, so I don't think boaters will be zipping through our areas. Plus, we're going with a group of fourteen people.

So, when we snorkel off of the beach in Roatan, will we need them? How about at Chankanaab Park in Cozumel. I can't imagine needing them there, but I can also see them requiring them to make extra money.

-pitterpattershoppe

Have you experience snorkeling? Vests usually are not required, and for anyone who has snorkeled much at all- often difficult since they keep you from diving under.

You won't need vests snorkeling off the beach, but every excursion we've taken snorkeling, they require you to wear one....provided by the tour company. Don't bother! We also don't bring our fins, although DH just bought a pair of the short snorkel fins, so we may pack those this time.

Enjoy!

So, when we snorkel off of the beach in Roatan, will we need them? How about at Chankanaab Park in Cozumel. I can't imagine needing them there, but I can also see them requiring them to make extra money.

-pitterpattershoppe

If you review the port boards there is more information about Chankanaab. We are going in October so I had done some research over there awhile back. I seem to recall that the current is so strong there that "life jackets" were a requirement. They could have been talking about vests too just using a different term. Anyway, there were some posts by people that were angry that they were forced to get out of the water until they got the appropriate safety equipment. :eek:

We bring our own gear and had thought about vest but usually they are available. Our kids love to snorkel so we may consider bringing a pool noodle cut in half for each of them to hang on to. Overall they are good swimmers but that will help us to stay tethered a little better and more secure for them too.

Any excursions that we have been on - both through the cruise line and independently - they were provided by the tour operator.

Funny thing, though, when we were in St. Thomas the captain of our catamaran told us that the U.S. Coast Guard requires us to all wear a snorkel vest while we are snorkeling. And then he told us that the regulations don't require us to actually put any air in the snorkel vests. So, most of us went around with uninflated snorkel vests.

So, most of us went around with uninflated snorkel vests.

It's not really needed to keep you afloat. More for an emergency where you would want additional flotation. If someone wasn't as comfortable being in the water they may want it inflated to begin with.

I don't use one unless I'm on an excursion and it is required and then it is not inflated.

It's not really needed to keep you afloat. More for an emergency where you would want additional flotation. If someone wasn't as comfortable being in the water they may want it inflated to begin with.

I don't use one unless I'm on an excursion and it is required and then it is not inflated.

I've never had a problem staying afloat in the Caribbean. I claim it's because of the buoyancy of the water due to temperature, salt, etc. but I highly suspect it's due in great part to my extra "padding".

Either way, I leave my snorkel vest uninflated and happily bob along. But I make the kids wear some kind of flotation device. Even though they are good swimmers, I'm a little cautious with them.

Archived