NCL Dawn limping from port to port

bigtree01

I understand that a previous group of passegers on a NCL ship that missed ports due to mechanical failures resorted to creating a passenger driven meeting in the Theater. Might be an idea for all of you there.

P-L-E-A-S-E DON'T resort to this! From what I heard from a friend on the ill-fated NCL Sun cruise last December all that did was create misery for everyone on board, with lots of cpmplaining, moaning and groaning and absolutely NO positivity for ANYONE onboard that encountered this "angry mob" of complaining passengers. Some even yelled at the Captain! My friend felt really sorry for the crew members who were getting the bulk of the heat from these disgruntled and worked-up passengers! She and her husband chose to ENJOY their cruise, the free drinks, the two substituted ports, the OBC and the 1/3 off discount on their next NCL sailing! It is all in the ATTITUDE! If the ship cancels a sailing that will cause lots of misery for some folks, as well, since many plan their vacation time a year or even years in advance, so the cruiseline ends up in a NO-WIN situation!

Anyone here own a boat? They're basically holes in the water that you pour money into. I'm surprised there aren't more issues.

You got that right...this is why we don't own a boat. Contemplated it but they are total money pits. You are 100% right that it's basically a miracle these massive cruise ships go on and on for very long stretches back and forth, thousands upon thousands of miles put on them and there are aren't more issues than what occur.

However, according to the NCL apologists here on CC it would appear that CCL handled this situation on the Splendor, in completely the wrong way. .

apples/oranges for goodness sake.

we are the people on board and the fact is if we were going to Paris and instead they sent us to Quebec instead would be fun but not what we paid for, changing ports if in the southern Caribbean would have been something else, we have saided and into these ports before, we booked new ports for a reason.

Now add to that a fire last night in the garbage room, cabins on 4 and 5 were evacuated, and many of us were unable to sleep after the all clear with the sounds of crew frantically moving about the ship. Also to those who earlier complained of stabilizers out, well we agree. Breakfast was with a retired navy man who said this rocking was totally unacceptable for the calm sea conditions. No one is very happy on board today, tired and much sea sickness.

The nick name is the cruise from hell, all it needs now for myself is teh sight of a rodent to push me over the edge. Thank goodness next week we cruise Carnival or this would be my last memory of a cruise and I would NEVER cruise again!!!!!

...can you elaborate on the fire, what was said, what was done, how it occured...any info appreciated

To those who think it doesn't matter which port - well, I go on cruises prepared after a lengthy research of places to visit, with maps and notes. If I get a different port instead, not knowing what the hell to do there, where to go, I would be very upset.

You did not mention that an OBC of $200 was given to compensate the missed ports, plus 10% off next cruise.

Engine problems happen, and ports and not guaranteed, common knowledge, yes, I too would have been somewhat upset if I really wanted to see a specific port, but to call it a complete mess?

They did replace 2 of the port with st maarten and St Thomas...and with 2 full days left, they might even stop again...sorry I do not quantify this as a mess.

..by the way 17 knots is fairly respectable...NCL facebook confirms that the repairs were successful and are now cruising at 22 knots.

..just my opinion.

200.00 obc is really nice. I could handle that..plus 10% off the next cruise. At least they weren't dead in the water.

Granted I may be a bit upset if this would probably be my one and only cruise...but I think St Maarten and St Thomas I'd probably would have been happier with. IMO

To those who think it doesn't matter which port - well, I go on cruises prepared after a lengthy research of places to visit, with maps and notes. If I get a different port instead, not knowing what the hell to do there, where to go, I would be very upset.

The Jade was schedules to stop in Egypt and went to Istanbul instead. Would you prefer NCL dumped you off in Egypt given the situation over there?:eek:

These are difficult choices for the cruise line that I'm sure are not taken lightly. You have to be able to roll with the changes (just like the REO Speedwagon song). If you can't then a land based vacation may suit your style.

However, according to the NCL apologists here on CC it would appear that CCL handled this situation on the Splendor, in completely the wrong way. CCL should not have refunded the whole cruise, arrange and pay for changes to travel, forgive all on board purchases, be open or communicate with the passengers, or give a discount on a future cruise.

CCL was dropping pop tarts and spam to the Splendor so they could feed the passengers. I must have missed the post where the passengers on the Dawn were being subjected to such treatment.:rolleyes:

Apples and oranges.

CCL was dropping pop tarts and spam to the Splendor so they could feed the passengers. I must have missed the post where the passengers on the Dawn were being subjected to such treatment.:rolleyes:

Apples and oranges.

Plus they had no ice or air conditioning, havent heard anything like that coming off the Dawn either. And I think the Dawn made 5 ports, wasnt the Splendor floating in the middle of the ocean???

Apples and oranges.

In all fairness, most passengers on the CCL ship had nothing but nice things to say about how CCL handled that...and although the media was all over the Spam, the passengers were never fed it.

Some wished they had been fed it...they were tired of bean sprouts!!!

BUT, the two occurences are totally different and the bottome line is that stuff does happen on any line.

I think CCL handled the Splendor thing well (most passengers on board did as well, but obviously not all) and I think NCL is handling this Dawn thing as best as they can. It's some passengers that aren't handling it well :eek:

Plus they had no ice or air conditioning, havent heard anything like that coming off the Dawn either. And I think the Dawn made 5 ports, wasnt the Splendor floating in the middle of the ocean???

Yes, Splendor was without power and needed to be tugged back.

Thank you for the update. We're sailing 2/25, well hopefully we're sailing then. We've been getting bits of info about the Dawn, so called our NCL PCC. He became very rude and said there was absolutely nothing wrong with the Dawn and it was a weather problem. When we called back and told him we were hearing many reports of engine problems, he said "what do you want me to tell you? The Dawn isn't even being talked about. Don't believe everything you read on the internet."

NCL, just tell us the truth so we can plan for it. And don't try to use rudeness to cover lies. And if you don't know the answer, say that.

It is definatley not a weather related issue. The Captain gave the announcement after we sailed that we would not be going to the first port of call (cancelled) due to the failure of engine #2, and the drop in speed.

Yep. These two ship's problems are really not at all comparable as there is a vast gulf of difference between a ship foundering in the middle of the sea with its electrical system and refrigeration severely incapacitated and a ship with an engine or two or azipod propulsion system operating on less than full capacity. We knew in advance last year that the Star was not operating on full capacity and a couple of our port stops were cut short. Honestly, this did not seriously affect our fabulous Star adventure through the Panama Canal. In fact, until this post I had forgotten we had been notified before the cruise about the azipod problems.

If the sun is shining and I have $200 credit, life is good. Would it make you feel better if they canceled the cruise and gave your money back.:)

Would you be happy if you purchased a plane ticket from LA to New York and were dropped off in Denver with a 200 dollar reinbusment on a $3000 ticket? Probably not.

I am refusing to accept the $200 on board credit offered, and will not be taking them up on the 10 percent off on a future cruise taken within one year.

Would you be happy if you purchased a plane ticket from LA to New York and were dropped off in Denver with a 200 dollar reinbusment on a $3000 ticket? Probably not.

I am refusing to accept the $200 on board credit offered, and will not be taking them up on the 10 percent off on a future cruise taken within one year.

Wait, what!? You are not going to take the $200 - free money?

Again, apples and oranges. You purchase a plane ticket for one purpose - to get from point A to point B. If you purchase a cruise ticket for that purpose, you are making a mistake as that is not the product they are selling. But by all means, refuse the OBC. You only hurt yourself. :confused:

No comparison. Cruise ships do not guarantee passage to any port. Says so in your cruise contract.

I don't blame you for being unhappy, but false analogies don't help your argument.

Anyone that reads Cruise Critic should know by now that:

A: That cruise vacation you purchased only entitles you to passage for "X" number of days.

B: That if you have working plumbing, power, A/C, or make any port stops, then you should feel honored because the cruise lines owes you none of these things, they are just considered extras.

;^)

SO if we just sailed around the port of Miami we should be happy and everything else is gravy? I'm honored by their magnificence, allowing me to pay over $3000 for making two of five ports.

No comparison. Cruise ships do not guarantee passage to any port. Says so in your cruise contract.

I don't blame you for being unhappy, but false analogies don't help your argument.

Good post, Dockrocker. Some are saying we are not sympathetic. I am very sympathetic and would be HUGELY disappointed. And I have experienced poor communication from NCL at times and know it is frustrating. But refusing to accept the compensation being offered is losing perspective and beyond reason.

Good post, Dockrocker. Some are saying we are not sympathetic. I am very sympathetic and would be HUGELY disappointed. And I have experienced poor communication from NCL at times and know it is frustrating. But refusing to accept the compensation being offered is losing perspective and beyond reason.

Moodah, what up?! What's shaking in the nutmeg state?

Yeah, I would be totally bummed. But the product--a cruise--is exactly what is it. And what it is is sometimes totally unpredictable. Really all people can do is make their future buying decisions based on this experience -- there's nothing to be done about the current cruise other than go with the flow.

He's not taking it because accepting compensation effectively ends his right to sue for damages. Of course, suing will cost him $ and gain him nothing. He has no legal case.

Well - yeah. The latter is obvious; you can't sure for something you signed off on in a passenger contract. Get real, take the 200 bucks and if you are really unhappy try and contact NCL; legal action will get you nowhere in this one.

SO if we just sailed around the port of Miami we should be happy and everything else is gravy? I'm honored by their magnificence, allowing me to pay over $3000 for making two of five ports.

Sounds to me like you would be happier with a land vacation at an all-inclusive. There just is no way to guarantee that ANY ship will make ALL its scheduled ports. PERIOD. We have been on about 30 cruises and have missed MANY ports for a variety of reasons, but we still keep on cruising because we LOVE it - YEP, even if we just sailed to NOWHERE! (BTW, sounds like you are OVERPAYING unless you are in a BIG SUITE or Villa!;))

The Dawn just had a major engine failure and engine room fire on our Late August 7nt

Voyage to Bermuda. This occurred about 260 miles Northwest of Bermuda. The Captain

Was visibly upset and stated that it was a miracle that no deaths did occur in this mishap.

I believe that engine problems have plagued the Dawn about 4 or 5 times in the past several years ????

Well - yeah. The latter is obvious; you can't sure for something you signed off on in a passenger contract. Get real, take the 200 bucks and if you are really unhappy try and contact NCL; legal action will get you nowhere in this one.

It's a little more complicated than that; people can and do sue despite having signed away their right to do so, and sometimes they're even successful. But accepting compensation for damages adds another obstacle to, and may effectively terminate, the ability to sue.

That's a major reason companies rush to make some sort of compensation. For instance, Gulf Coast residents and companies who accepted BP's immediate offer after the oil spill found, to their chagrin, that it prevented them from suing for real damages.

Archived