NCL Dawn limping from port to port

bigtree01

I was pointing out the incorrect name of John Heard by using the correct name of John Heald. ;)

PE

Your way of doing so was confusing, perhaps deliberately.

Certainly it ignored the point, which is that NCL appears to have done a horrible job of being honest with those paying them for the cruise, in stark contrast to the rather exceptional communication job by CCL which seems to have characterised their misadventure in the Pacific.

I think many of those affected by missing the ports they looked forward to visiting 'get it' just fine.

The NCL Dawn Southern Caribbean (actualy Eastern Caribbean) cruise has cured my desire to ever cruise again. Thanks for the lesson.

Not me, I am looking forward to my cruise on her this fall. Missing a few ports on a couple of cruises is not really a big problem in the scheme of life.

Missing a few ports on a couple of cruises is not really a big problem in the scheme of life.

Ahhhhh, truer words! I think you summed it up right there in one sentence. Time to let a few missed ports go and deal with the real world now ...

If you were not on that cruise, do not comment. The stabilizers did not work. The midnight fire was such a scare. Two out of four engines working. Done with NCL and cruising. I'll fly where I want to go.

I really am sorry that you had to go through what you did - truly, I am. I don't think there is any reason to get snippy with others though.

I say this only because I HAVE been on a cruise like the one you experienced. If missing the ports on my cruise were the worst things that occurred in my life, wow, I'd be one lucky woman. As I said before, it really isn't worth it. Do what you are planning on doing and fly to your destinations if they are that important to you. Honestly, I wish you only the best in your vacation planning - I truly do. Peace!

If you were not on that cruise, do not comment. The stabilizers did not work. The midnight fire was such a scare. Two out of four engines working. Done with NCL and cruising. I'll fly where I want to go.

About this, I was flying on a Delta jet from Montreal to Miami when it hit a wind-shear and the plane dropped a couple of thousand feet. Before that happened the pilot lit the fasten seat belt sign and I saw one of the stewardesses strapped into her seat praying. I still fly when needed.

As for as the stabilizers not working, so you had a little ship movement. A fire is scary on a ship, but a fire on an airplane is much worse. I trained to fight ship fires and know the dangers, from what I read, the fire was small and contained quickly. As for two out of four engines out, that is not that big of a deal, you still had two running.

As for having a bad cruise, maybe you did, but the ship made it home and nobody died on it that cruise.

If that cruise was the worse thing that happened or happens to you in your life be grateful.

We were on the NCL Dawn for a Southern Caribbean cruise on Feb. 11th, 2011; a 9 day / 5 port cruise. This was the first time ever sailing with NCL or any other cruise line.

We picked this specific cruise with our friends, latitude members who have been on 4 other NCL cruises. They stated only good things regarding this cruise line (great service, food, and how clean the ships are). We booked this trip five and a half months prior to sailing.

We also picked this cruise specifically for these 5 ports and feel dissatisfaction of the cruise when we ended up going to only 2 of the 5 ports from the initial schedule.

The first indication we were questioning was leaving the Miami port 2 hours later than scheduled. During this time, the Captain made an announcement regarding engine problems, and with technicians on board to help fix this issue, he expected they would be able to resolve the problem and be able to leave soon.

We thought the engine was fixed, since we left Miami at about 6:00pm.

Once at sea, the Captain again advised us there were still technical problems with an engine and we were going to miss our first port due to a drop in speed (Samana, DR cancelled).We were disappointed since we had an excursion planned, and also a second sea day was added until our next port. We made Tortolla and Antigua ports and had a good time.

After leaving Antigua, around 7:30pm, the Captain made another announcement of a change in the Itinerary, AGAIN. Unfortunately the engine repairs were unsuccessful and the final 2 ports were cancelled (Barbados and St. Kitts). The ship was rescheduled to 2 different ports (St. Maarten and St. Thomas). If we wanted to go to these ports, we would have booked a different cruise and paid a $1000.00 less.

Instead of a pricy Southern Caribbean cruise, we were given an Eastern Caribbean cruise for the price of a Southern.

We did not like the excursions offered for St. Maarten, so we decided to just walk around. While in the shopping area, we were informed by the owner of a jewelry store that they knew about a week prior to our arrival (NCL Dawn). When we mentioned that we only found out the night before arriving to St. Maarten, he was very surprised. We on the other hand were insulted and upset at the cruise line.

All over the ship, there were plastic buckets to catch water leaking from the ceilings. Also, most of the times in the women’s washrooms, at least 2 of the toilets were out of order or overflowing and the ones that were functional, doors wouldn’t lock.

The last and greatest indignation was a letter form the Captain we received 2 nights before the cruise ended. In the letter, he stated that when he made the announcement prior to our departure in Miami, regarding the engine problem, he extended the option to all guests to cancel and disembark the ship should we chose to do so. Miraculously, the captain had announced at our last port how the engine was now repaired…Yeah!

First of all, after speaking to other passengers, that announcement was NEVER made over the public address system. NCL knew about the engine problems before we set sail and had ample time to inform its guests before getting on the ship.

The only nice thing was the crew was doing their best. This does not, however, make up for the complete mess that the rest of the cruise has been due to corporate decisions. We did not get what we paid for. This is something different than weather or ‘unexpected’ mechanical problems. Some of these problems may seem minor, but when added together, this is major, and we were left with a bad taste in our mouths.

They only offered us $200.00 OBC per stateroom and 10% off a future cruise but taken within a year.

If you think those problems are bad, wait until you sleep several days in an airport during a blizzard. I would prefer being in a ship's cabin during a snowstorm.

We were on the NCL Dawn for a Southern Caribbean cruise on Feb. 11th, 2011; a 9 day / 5 port cruise. This was the first time ever sailing with NCL or any other cruise line.

We picked this specific cruise with our friends, latitude members who have been on 4 other NCL cruises. They stated only good things regarding this cruise line (great service, food, and how clean the ships are). We booked this trip five and a half months prior to sailing.

We also picked this cruise specifically for these 5 ports and feel dissatisfaction of the cruise when we ended up going to only 2 of the 5 ports from the initial schedule.

The first indication we were questioning was leaving the Miami port 2 hours later than scheduled. During this time, the Captain made an announcement regarding engine problems, and with technicians on board to help fix this issue, he expected they would be able to resolve the problem and be able to leave soon.

We thought the engine was fixed, since we left Miami at about 6:00pm.

Once at sea, the Captain again advised us there were still technical problems with an engine and we were going to miss our first port due to a drop in speed (Samana, DR cancelled).We were disappointed since we had an excursion planned, and also a second sea day was added until our next port. We made Tortolla and Antigua ports and had a good time.

After leaving Antigua, around 7:30pm, the Captain made another announcement of a change in the Itinerary, AGAIN. Unfortunately the engine repairs were unsuccessful and the final 2 ports were cancelled (Barbados and St. Kitts). The ship was rescheduled to 2 different ports (St. Maarten and St. Thomas). If we wanted to go to these ports, we would have booked a different cruise and paid a $1000.00 less.

Instead of a pricy Southern Caribbean cruise, we were given an Eastern Caribbean cruise for the price of a Southern.

We did not like the excursions offered for St. Maarten, so we decided to just walk around. While in the shopping area, we were informed by the owner of a jewelry store that they knew about a week prior to our arrival (NCL Dawn). When we mentioned that we only found out the night before arriving to St. Maarten, he was very surprised. We on the other hand were insulted and upset at the cruise line.

All over the ship, there were plastic buckets to catch water leaking from the ceilings. Also, most of the times in the women’s washrooms, at least 2 of the toilets were out of order or overflowing and the ones that were functional, doors wouldn’t lock.

The last and greatest indignation was a letter form the Captain we received 2 nights before the cruise ended. In the letter, he stated that when he made the announcement prior to our departure in Miami, regarding the engine problem, he extended the option to all guests to cancel and disembark the ship should we chose to do so. Miraculously, the captain had announced at our last port how the engine was now repaired…Yeah!

First of all, after speaking to other passengers, that announcement was NEVER made over the public address system. NCL knew about the engine problems before we set sail and had ample time to inform its guests before getting on the ship.

The only nice thing was the crew was doing their best. This does not, however, make up for the complete mess that the rest of the cruise has been due to corporate decisions. We did not get what we paid for. This is something different than weather or ‘unexpected’ mechanical problems. Some of these problems may seem minor, but when added together, this is major, and we were left with a bad taste in our mouths.

They only offered us $200.00 OBC per stateroom and 10% off a future cruise but taken within a year.

High marks to you for bravery for daring to post anything negative here in the land of NCL CAN DO NO WRONG.

High marks to you for bravery for daring to post anything negative here in the land of NCL CAN DO NO WRONG.

Fin, you know full well that it is not "NCL CAN DO NO WRONG". People just ask questions for claification and people like you deem this to be bashing. Since when is nothing supposed to be questioned? Your continued "baiting" of this, and other issues is getting quite tiresome.

Personally, I think this topic has run its course since the Dawn has been hitting her marks on every cruise since this one specific fated cruise.

Buh bye. You are more than welcome to commiserate with your fellow "NCL bashers" including all of the "brand new members" that have joined just to chat about this old topic. Carry on!!

PE

Archived