Best side of ship?

din2play2

IMHO, either side has its advantages. First, you don't know the direction the ship will be pointing. On our cruise, we were at Heritage Wharf, with the ship pointed away from the adjacent King's Wharf. The other ship at the complex (docked at King's Wharf) was pointed in the opposite direction. The two ships were 'back-to-back' with their aft dining rooms facing each other. Someone in an aft balcony cabin would be able to look out to their neighbor's aft balcony cabins on the other ship. Our balcony room was on the port side. We had a view of the wharf activity below, since the ship was tied up on our side. There was a nice view of the Naval Dockyards museum complex. The starboard side had a nice view of the Bermuda coastline stretching out from the dockyard. When we were touring Fort St Catherine near St George's, on the other tip of the island, we could see the ships docked in port at the dockyards a dozen or so miles away, so in theory, they could see us too!

When we were on the Legend our cabin was port side and we also docked port side at Kings Wharf

2678450660046878319S425x425Q85.jpg

It was a nice view of the Dockyard and we were able to watch the comings and goings of folks.

100_0647.jpg

100_0644.jpg

100_0642.jpg

I have also had an aft cabin with RCCL and the view was just as good if not better. Back then we would be the only ship in that day too

Bermuda2005066.jpg

Bermuda2005068.jpg

lovintocruize wrote: ....I never thought about this question before. Maybe I should call up my PVP and see about getting the best side?....

You're jokin', right?

Since there is no way of telling in advance which side of the cruise ship will be to the wharf (or dock), you'll be wasting your time and the PVP's time with your call.

What cruise ship?

SBtS

i prefer facing away from the dock.

keep in mind the ships don't always dock in the same direction.

but the best direction is south, so grab an aft balcony, and hope the ship docks to port, and you dock at the "old" pier.

This is what I'm hoping for. We have a aft cabin docking at Kingswharf with another ship also being docked at Heritage Wharf the same time. I hope my balcony is not facing the back of the NCL Gem for three days.:mad:

I'm going to have to talk to the captain when I get on board. lol;)

This is what I'm hoping for. We have a aft cabin docking at Kingswharf with another ship also being docked at Heritage Wharf the same time. I hope my balcony is not facing the back of the NCL Gem for three days.:mad:

I'm going to have to talk to the captain when I get on board. lol;)

lol. good luck!

if you get it, you'll have the best balcony on the island. especially at night! love those bay breezes!

IMHO, either side has its advantages. First, you don't know the direction the ship will be pointing. On our cruise, we were at Heritage Wharf, with the ship pointed away from the adjacent King's Wharf. The other ship at the complex (docked at King's Wharf) was pointed in the opposite direction. The two ships were 'back-to-back' with their aft dining rooms facing each other. Someone in an aft balcony cabin would be able to look out to their neighbor's aft balcony cabins on the other ship. Our balcony room was on the port side. We had a view of the wharf activity below, since the ship was tied up on our side. There was a nice view of the Naval Dockyards museum complex. The starboard side had a nice view of the Bermuda coastline stretching out from the dockyard. When we were touring Fort St Catherine near St George's, on the other tip of the island, we could see the ships docked in port at the dockyards a dozen or so miles away, so in theory, they could see us too!

I found some pictures. Let's see if I can upload them!

232323232%7Ffp43436%3Enu%3D3253%3E2%3C7%3E336%3EWSNRCG%3D3436%3A9%3B532327nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp43437%3Enu%3D3253%3E2%3C7%3E336%3EWSNRCG%3D3436%3A9%3B538327nu0mrj

The views from our balcony as the ship was positioning into the dock.

232323232%7Ffp43353%3Enu%3D3253%3E2%3C7%3E336%3EWSNRCG%3D3436%3A9%3B576327nu0mrj

We were on the Dawn (ship on the right) and this is the view of the Dockyards from the ferry heading along the coast toward St George's.

232323232%7Ffp43434%3Enu%3D3253%3E2%3C7%3E336%3EWSNRCG%3D3436%3B69495327nu0mrj

One of my favorite photos - a view from the Naval Museum back toward the wharf.:)

I guess I never did take a picture from the starboard side of the ship while we were docked.:(

Great pics. Thanks to all that have posted them. Does anyone have some pics of the view of the starboard side if your docked port side? I wonder what is the decision factor on which side the ship docks. Anyone know? Just curious because there doesn't seem to be any consistency on which side they dock on.

beddibi wondered: .....what is the decision factor on which side the ship docks......

Here are some deciding factors in determining which side goes to the dock: maintenance needs, safety drills/lifeboat testing and weather. It has been posted by locals that on multi-day visits the cruise ship, once in while, has changed sides at night.

and asked: ..... Does anyone have some pics of the view of the starboard side if your docked port side?.....

The view would be of Grassy Bay (water) and in the distance (about +1.5 miles) the western end of Pembroke Parish which includes the city of Hamilton.

SBtS

beddibi wondered: .....what is the decision factor on which side the ship docks......

Here are some deciding factors in determining which side goes to the dock: maintenance needs, safety drills/lifeboat testing and weather. It has been posted by locals that on multi-day visits the cruise ship, once in while, has changed sides at night.

and asked: ..... Does anyone have some pics of the view of the starboard side if your docked port side?.....

The view would be of Grassy Bay (water) and in the distance (about +1.5 miles) the western end of Pembroke Parish which includes the city of Hamilton.

SBtS

Thank you for taking the time to clarify this for me, my curious mind wanted to know.:D

Archived