Chef's tour and Dinner Table

DrSch

I did the Chef's Table on my last cruise, and thoroughly enjoyed it. We had a different menu than the one here. Unfortunately, I just checked my photo site, and DH hasn't put the pictures up. I would certainly do it again, though I might not eat the caviar this time - just not for me. However, it might be better presented as it was here.

I was more than a little tipsy at the end, especially because I asked for limoncello. That was the one disappointment for me - I realized it was Italian night, and I always get limoncello. It was not offered as part of the meal. However, I was able to get some before I left the dining room.

There was a lady with food allergies on my tour. I'm not sure if it was all seafood, or a specific seafood. Anyway, my meal was not as seafood heavy as this one.

I would recommend it to anyone. However, now I have two signed cookbooks, since I bought one my first cruise. Oy vey, what can you do? :p

Where do we go to sign up for this? I want to do it as soon as I get on. Thank you.

We did it on Carnival Imagination and is was the best-loved being with the head chef for 3+ hours and also going in the galley. We all tipped the servers but I read somewhere that the tip is included on these. Anyone know if this is true?

We were on Holland America and were going to try it but it was not the same-no galley tour, served in Pinnacle(steak restaurant), and the Chef was just supposed to visit, not stay, so we did not sign up. Also, they were going to have 3 groups of 18 each, so it did not sound like the special treatment on Carnival and Princess. Also, Carnival changed food for allergies where HAL would not.

I also like $60 for non-drinkers as I do not drink and it was a waste of money for me.
Thanks for the answers.:D

[quote name='treasure4two']Where do we go to sign up for this? I want to do it as soon as I get on. Thank you.

We did it on Carnival Imagination and is was the best-loved being with the head chef for 3+ hours and also going in the galley. We all tipped the servers but I read somewhere that the tip is included on these. Anyone know if this is true?

We were on Holland America and were going to try it but it was not the same-no galley tour, served in Pinnacle(steak restaurant), and the Chef was just supposed to visit, not stay, so we did not sign up. Also, they were going to have 3 groups of 18 each, so it did not sound like the special treatment on Carnival and Princess. Also, Carnival changed food for allergies where HAL would not.

I also like $60 for non-drinkers as I do not drink and it was a waste of money for me.
Thanks for the answers.:D[/QUOTE]

Call the DINE line the minute you board. The earlier, the better. You can also follow up with the folks who are usually at a table outside of Sabatinis. I've done the Chef's Table twice and we did not tip either time. It didn't seem to be expected...

To be honest, I had never considered doing Chef's Table on any cruises until I joined Cruise Critic. Reading all of the rave reviews, I am tempted to do it with my hubbie in a few weeks on the Golden. He considers himself a Foodie, but he doesn't drink at all. My question is if those of you who have done it feel it would have been worth it without the alcohol. I did not know about the discounted price until reading your posts, so thank you for that info! I'm just trying to plan a perfect vacation for my new husband. :)

RickEk, you responded " In most cases you can get to the dock at 10:30-11ish and you'll be aboard by noon." But our itinerary says boarding starts at 1:00 - can you REALLY board as early as noon? And if so, how can we get to Whittier earlier than the 10:00 train from ANC? Thanks in advance for your answer.

[quote name='RickEk']Call the DINE line the minute you board. The earlier, the better. You can also follow up with the folks who are usually at a table outside of Sabatinis. I've done the Chef's Table twice and we did not tip either time. It didn't seem to be expected...[/quote]

Thanks-just what I needed. :D

[quote name='roundpond']RickEk, you responded " In most cases you can get to the dock at 10:30-11ish and you'll be aboard by noon." But our itinerary says boarding starts at 1:00 - can you REALLY board as early as noon? And if so, how can we get to Whittier earlier than the 10:00 train from ANC? Thanks in advance for your answer.[/QUOTE]

Well, I've never sailed out of Whittier... maybe someone else who has can answer as to the boarding time. In every other port I've traveled out of (LA, NYC, FLL, SF, SD), we always got to the port by 11am and were onboard by noon or before.

Archived