turtles

racegirl-24

The Hawksbill turtles are protected by law in Barbados.

You encounter them in the free ocean; They are free to do as they please.

It is not encouraged to touch them, but they are accustomed to a fleeting caress of their shells, from time to time.

Enjoy one of the few islands that respect these wonderful creatures; don't keep captive as in the Caymans and encourage you to share time with them to understand their importance and gentleness.

Ask your guide about the Barbados Sea Turtle Project. It will help you understand how important these creatures are to the island of Barbados and it's people.

Like Ming said, the turtles come and go as they please. They basically stick to that area because they are used to being fed there. We went on 02/08 with Calabaza. It was the best day ever and the highlight of our trip. Chad jumped in the water with some food to coax the turtles the swim close so we could observe and get some pictures. We did briefly touch the shells as they swam by.

We did a turtle swim in Jan. 2011 with Kayak Jack. (Included kayaking, turtle snorkel, and sunken ship snorkel.) The answer is YES- you absolutely should see the turtles! They are so graceful, and when enticed by food, come very close to humans. It made me feel like I had come to a new spirituality, just to have the honor of being so close to these amazing creatures. It's something I will never forget.

At the sunken ship, there are thousands of colorful fish swimming in your path, that too, was inspiring. I felt like I was in an aquarium!

Hope you have a great time!

Sherry

WOW iflyrc5, I love your pictures you posted. It actually almost made me cry to think that that is what I will be experiencing in May on my Carnival Excursion to swim with the turtles and the snorkel at the shipwreck. I am an avid lover of sea turtles (turtles really of any kind), and I totally appreciate seeing them in their own habitat rather than in captivity. They are amazing creatures with such style, grace and beauty. I can only hope that I get to have the same experience you did to observe them and take pictures.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived