Caribbean Rent a Car Tours?

t bone steak

I found a tour I am interested in from a site that mainly rents cars (Caribbean Rent a Car, owner, Joseph Jackson, a family-run business). They have what they call an "East End Tour" that included things like the Iguana Farm, a boat ride through the Mangroves, and a visit to the Garifuna Village in Punta Gorda, among other places on the list. The cost is $40 a person, taking from 3-5 hours. They charge an additional $10 for a customized tour. I am also looking at the Bodden tours, which are also $40. The difference is that the attractions i mentioned are included in the first tour (the Caribbean Rent a Car company), whereas we have to cover the admissions ourselves in the Bodden tour. The first tour company requires a $10 per person deposit up front, whereas the Bodden tour company doesn't but asks for cash.

Question: Has anyone done the Caribbean Rent a Car East End Tour? Or any other tour from that company? If so, what experience did you have? Also, which is the best deal? The better experience overall?

Thanks,

Mary Matsumoto

I looked on TripAdvisor to see if there were any reviews or ranking for them. I could find no mention of the company in Roatan on the TripAdvisor site. That tells me that they are not a popular outfit. Sounds like maybe a mom and pop operation or maybe they have just not been discovered yet and could be the best tour outfit on the island. I looked at their website and they seem to be on the up and up. Their price for the listed cruise ship special tour does look very good. I get the impression the Boden just provides a car and driver and if you want to actually do anything you have to pay extra.

Thanks for all your help, Michael! I certainly appreciate your kindness. I didn't think of Trip Advisor. As it turns out, the day my mom and I will be in Roatan, the Bodden tours are completely sold out (I contacted both of them to get more information), so I may have to try the Caribbean Rent-a-Car one. It does sound good to me, too--although if they're dishonest, they could take my deposit and run! I have to send $20 through Paypal to hold the tour, but yes, they are family run, it seems. I'll assure them that if we enjoy our tour, we will recommend them to others on the board when we have the opportunity. I have to admit I'm a little nervous, but I'm willing to take the chance.

Thanks again for your kind help! Much appreciated!

Mary Matsumoto

Archived