Onboard credit?

irishayes

When we booked our reservation, it was supposed to come with an onboard credit to be used on food/drinks/services aboard the ship.

I don't see this noted anywhere on my cruise documents, however. Where do I look at my reservation to see that this has been given to us?

Will this credit then be automatically on our account when we check in, or do I need to show proof from the TA before they will credit us?

It SHOULD show up. However, take copies of all your documents with you. If it doesn't show up on your onboard account within 36 hours, you'll have the documents to show Guest Relations.

We had two cabins in December. Each had an OBC from Celebrity and an OBC from your travel agent. It took a couple of days, but everything showed up properly.

Hope this helps!

Sara

When we booked we had a $250 OBC through our TA. When we had a price drop last week she also dropped the OBC to $75. Maybe this was what happened to your OBC?

When we booked our reservation, it was supposed to come with an onboard credit to be used on food/drinks/services aboard the ship.

I don't see this noted anywhere on my cruise documents, however. Where do I look at my reservation to see that this has been given to us?

I suggest that you bring the documents from the TA that show what you're supposed to receive. On a recent cruise, we were supposed to have a $200 OBC, but only $100 was posted. We talked to a cruise rep on the ship and it took them several days to get it straightened out, even with the paperwork.

Another OP suggested that if the OBC is from the cruiseline, ask them for a booking receipt so you have that OBC on paper as well. I did and Celebrity sent it to me, and it did not have Celebrity OBC I was supposed to get for a future cruise from booking on-board (I had changed the reservation so my original receipt no longer applied.) So glad I asked for it, or I would never have known that the $300 OBC had somehow "disappeared" from the reservation. That probably saved us a lot of time on board.

Better to get all of this straight before sailing so you can spend all the time on board enjoying the cruise.

I usually check with a Customer service person immediately upon boarding. If the proper credit has not been applied, I call my travel agent by cell before the ship leaves the port. He then contacts Celebrity.

When we booked we had a $250 OBC through our TA. When we had a price drop last week she also dropped the OBC to $75. Maybe this was what happened to your OBC?
I think your OBC should have stayed the same....I never heard of receiving a price drop with a decreased OBC.

I think your OBC should have stayed the same....I never heard of receiving a price drop with a decreased OBC.

Me either and I am not happy about it, but she will not budge on it. I don't know anything I can do about it, but learn from my mistake and never use her again.

Call the captain's club. Someone there can pull up your reservation and check if you have a credit before you leave home. They can also tell if your share holders benefit has posted. Remember that TA's are paying from their commission so they won't buy the credit until after they have the money from the cruise in their pockets. Much better to be able to negotiate with a TA before you leave home than after two days on board. If the cruise is out more than several weeks, the TA won't have purchased credit, but it should be there inside that last week or two.

Me either and I am not happy about it, but she will not budge on it. I don't know anything I can do about it, but learn from my mistake and never use her again.
Oh that is too bad:(, like you said we all live and learn from our mistakes.

cruzyduzy, OBC is usually a percentage of the cost of the cruise, so if the price of your cruise drops the amount of OBC drops accordingly. Check to see if the percent of OBC remains the same with the price drop vs. your original cost. If the percent of OBC is less price drop, then I would request the same percent as you were originally given.

A totally hypothetical example:

Original cost of cruise = $2000. OBC = $200 (10%)

Price drop cost of cruise = $1000. OBC = $100 (10%)

Bon voyage

Betsy

Important to note: IF your OBC is from your TA AND based on the cost of your cabin ***it will DROP if your cabin price DROPS, it should also INCREASE if you INCREASE (ie: upgrade to a higher priced cabin)***

Remember - TAs who give OBCs or other perks give them out of their commission. OBCs are commonly (not always) about 9% of the base cabin cost. So if you paid $1000pp and get a $180 OBC and then what you are paying for your cabin drops to $750pp, your OBC should drop to abt $140. So bottom line = this type of credit is based on your final cabin base cost (not including taxes and fees).

Just like it would always be great to buy stock low and sell high, it would be nice to keep the lower cabin fare and the higher OBC, but it doesn't work that way.

On a different example would be the OBC Celebrity gives you for booking an upcoming cruise during a cruise (while onboard). It is TOTALLY based on the length of the cruise, and not the cabin cost or category.

Let me know if this is not clear (I confuse myself sometimes :rolleyes:)

Sara

(Betsy- great minds think alike. your mind just used fewer words!!!)

Archived