Washington To New York

Mickb

I wander if anyone can offer us some advice. We are sailing on the QM2 eastbound on the 4th of May. We shall be spending the night of the 3rd in Washington DC. I had planned to take a train at 11am to New York which arrived approx 1.20pm. Looking at the Amtrak website I see that they restrict the amount and weight of luggage you can take with you on the train. I suspect that we have more than their requirements. Can anyone advise if they really adhere to these rules or suggest an alternative solution, we don't particularly want to fly as its hassle for a short journey, ditto for hiring a car.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Checked Baggage

The following guidelines apply to baggage you check, and which is stored in separate baggage storage areas on a train.

Three-Piece Limit: Each ticketed passenger may check up to three pieces of luggage at no charge. You may also check up to three additional pieces upon payment of $10.00 per piece.

50-Pound Limit: Each checked bag may weigh no more than 50 lbs. We will not accept heavier pieces.

Size Limit: Each checked bag may not exceed 28 x 22 x 14 inches in size.

Suitable Bags: Please be sure to pack your baggage using sturdy luggage or containers that are capable of withstanding normal handling. Please note that we do not accept plastic storage containers, lightweight suit bags, and other similar items as checked baggage.

Baggage Tags: Attach your name and address to each item. Free identification tags are available at stations or from crew members, or you may use your own.

Where Available: Checked baggage service is available at many stations and on many trains and Amtrak Thruway buses throughout the country. See individual station pages on this site, available from the 'Stations' section, for more information.

Check-In Time: Please check all baggage at least 30 minutes prior to departure, and longer for special items. Baggage checked less than 30 minutes prior to departure may be delayed.

Claiming Checked Baggage: Checked baggage will be available to be claimed within 30 minutes of arrival. Always identify your baggage by the claim check numbers. Storage charges apply to baggage not claimed within two days of arrival.

ID Required: To check baggage, you must have a valid photo ID. For more information about ID requirements, please see our Passenger Security and ID page.

Special Items: Amtrak accepts a number of special items such as baby strollers, bicycles, golf bags, musical instruments, and skis. In most cases there is a handling charge of $5.00 per special item.

Above from the Amtrak web site http://www.amtrak.com

David.

I did the Acela Express to Washington after my crossing last year. The first class service is very nice and easier than flying. The Club Acela lounge had quite a few passengers from QM2 waiting for various trains. Noboddy ever measured or weighed my luggage. I only had a rucksack which I carried aboard.

The carry on limit is two items no more than the 50lbs each. So for two people thats 200lbs. Far be it from me to say, but I would be well under that limit, particularly as I would have to fly the other way. You might want to test pack and weigh what you intend to take.

Alternatively give Cunard a ring they can ship to the ship for you.

Best wishes, Stephen.

If you don't travel these trains don't give advice. If you are booking on local NE trains service there are no baggage cars, unless you happen on a leg that is long distance. You must adhere to the new strict baggage allowance. See Amtrak.com for their latest requirements.

Thank you all for your helpful responses. I have just checked the dimensions of our larger case which is 31 x 24 x 10 - too big for Amtrak. Looks like I have choice - contact Cunard and see if they will pick it up from Washington on the Monday and ship it to the ship - or buy a new smaller case and try to pack less. Because we are English and pay about 2/3 times the amount that Americans do for clothes etc we tend to stock up when we are in the US!............or I could hire a car in Washington and leave it in NY!!!

I see the big case weighed 30 kilos on our last transatlantic flight!!!!

Anyway I am most grateful for your advice.

Mickb

GOOD TIME:After a w/b crossing (on another line) from Amsterdam to Boston we took the Acela to New York (in First Class). We had a mountain of luggage and no one said a word. The redcap simply loaded it into the First Class car with us in the "baggage closet".

I will say it was summertime and a 1PM train to New York... maybe it was an "off time" and no one cared about luggage ammounts because the train was almost empty?

BAD TIME: When vacationing in Quebec and joining the QE 2 in 2002 for a cruise from Quebec City to New York I wanted to take Amtrak from NYC to Montreal and a Canadian train to Quebec. Much to my chagrin with Amtrak: A.) there was no First Class section AT ALL, and B.) no checked luggage service... how crazy is that on an INTERNATIONAL 10-hr train voyage?

I ended up flying Air Canada.

Amtrak is a crapshoot..... ya gotta call and ask (twice!)

Michael

NYC

We, my husband and I, took the Amtrak from the BWI airport station(just north of DC) to NYC the day after thanksgiving. Although we had been warned by Amtrak that they couldn't accomidate baggage over 28" and 50 lbs we had no trouble at all with our considerable luggage which measured at least 30" and no less than 50LBS each. The redcap we found at the station was more than happy to help us and in fact he come to find us about 10 minutes before our train arrived, it had been delayed in DC. The redcap knew which car to put us to be most comfortable and helped stow all of our luggage in the "baggage closet" from the platform. I too found it inconceivable that Amtrak wouldn't have a baggage car at a station that sercvices the airport especially on a holiday weekend but they don't. Just in case you are wondering, it will take 3-4 hours to drive to NYC from DC assuming you don't run into a serious delay. We took a charter bus to NYC one time that was delayed an hour and a half because of an accident, then the bus driver got lost for about an hour in New Jersey. Fortunately the bus had been chartered by the cruise line and they had to wait for us. Hope this helps somehow. Joan

I think renting a car is probably a good solution. From either Washington Dulles or Baltimore BWI, many of the rental agencies have no drop-off fee if the car is going to New York. You can check this on the car rental's web site. A one day rental would probably be less expensive and more convenient than the train.

I traveled from New York to Baltimore after arriving on QE2 in December. I had to deal with varying luggage restrictions for a commuter flight from Baltimore to Philadelphia which had limits posted on the US Airways website of 50 lbs/bag. Then my international flight from Philadelphia had a 70 lb. limit, so when I checked my largest bag which weighed in at 47 lbs. for the commuter flight, I was then told I'm connecting with an international flight so the 70 lb limit was what applied. Once in Paris, I again checked on the limits for the Eurostar to London. I didn't have any problem, there was plenty of room for luggage in each car; I was First Class, and just wheeled everything aboard. Then I took a bus from London to Southampton, National Coach, where the stated weight limit was 20 kgs., so I was overweight with my largest bag, but no one checked, they just threw the bag in the luggage compartment.

So finally to Amtrak from New York, where I carefully checked the website for the limitations and determined that I would need to check at least 2 bags, because I was carrying 4 pieces of luggage. The website told me that both New York and Baltimore had baggage service, so I thought no problem. I wanted to just wheel everything aboard like on Eurostar, but wanted to be prepared to comply with Amtrak's rules. Well the Amtrak people almost laughed at me. There is no checked baggage service on the Northeast corridor. It is only for long distance trains. So I ended up doing just what I wanted to do to begin with. I just wheeled it all aboard. There was plenty of room at one end of the car for everything, and the overhead compartments will handle quite a bit of luggage as well, but it is a high shelf and lifting a really heavy bag might be difficult, so use the space at one end of the car. I just rode the regular coach train, which takes about 40 minutes longer than the Acela, but is also quite a bit cheaper. It was very comfortable for the 3 hour trip.

The only problem I encountered was when I arrived at Penn Station in New York from the ship, at the Eighth Ave. entrance and found there was no elevator or escalator to descend one level to the Amtrak station. So I ended up getting help down the stairs from a fellow hanging around knowing that he could be useful in this situation. It cost me a couple of bucks, and anxiety all the way down the stairs when my bag was out of my hands, but there was no problem.

So my advice to you would be to just go with Amtrak and be prepared to handle your luggage yourselves. Once in New York's Penn Station you may exit via Seventh Ave, where I'm sure there are escalators and elevators. There will be Red Cap's to assist, and you may even find an elevator to take you up to the Eighth Avenue exit nearer to 33rd St. which makes for a quicker taxi ride to the pier, but your would have to hail one I think. Best probably to exit the main exit where taxis will be queued, and to not let your bags out of your control. Do not accept help from strangers.

Thank you everybody, I really appreciate your replies and advice. At the moment I have rented a one way hertz car with neverlost (the routefinder package) but in the light of your experience and advice I may reconsider.

The fear is to end up at the station in Washington at 1030 am on sailing day with some officious Amtrak employee telling us that we cannot take the big case on the train.

We have booked a B1 stateroom and are waitlisted for P grade, apparently we are 1st on the list so I am hopeful.

In passing, has anyone ever stayed at the Manor on Golden Pond in New Hampshire or the Cliffside inn in Newport? We are contemplating these two hotels and I would be interested if anyone has any advice?

Mickb

Archived