Montreal Train Station Questions

marlong

We are planning to take a Holland America Cruise that disembarks in Montreal on September 3, 2011. We want to stay over for 2 days in Montreal before taking the train to Toronto for 2 days and Amtrak train into New York State. Any suggestions on how far is the station from downtown Montreal? What hotels you recommend in Montreal? Also what is the name of the train system in Canada.

It is called VIA Rail. The station in Montreal is only a few minutes from the cruise terminal and is called the Central Station; the address is 895 de la Gauchetiere West. The Fairmont Queen Elizabeth Hotel http://www.fairmont.com/EN_FA/Property/QEH/Index.htm?wbc_purpose=basic'&WBCMODE=presentationunpublished' is built above the rail station, so it is very convenient. When I made my reservation, I was able to get a AAA rate for $144C. There is also a Budget car rental in the train station if you are thinking of renting a car.

The train station is not far from the port. There are two hotels that are connected to the train station, the Hilton Bonaventure and the Fairmount Queen E.

We love the Hilton. It is very different.... its lobby is several floors up in an office building and it has a rooftop pool and gardens that are just beautiful.

Viv

Most intercity trains in Canada are operated by Via Rail Canada, but there are several other railroads as well. The trains in the area of your interest are operated by Via Rail Canada. There are no Amtrak-operated trains in Toronto. There is one Via Rail Canada train each day destined for Niagara Falls, where upon the operation of train is turned over to Amtrak at the border, and Amtrak operates the same train the rest of the way into New York City.

Your plan should work just fine. If you're more ambitious, or if you can work in an extra day or two, you might want to go by train from Montreal to Ottawa, then continue later from Ottawa to Toronto, etc.

Hello,

Other posters correctly identify Via Rail Canada as providing service from Montreal to Toronto.

Some Helpful Notes:

Via Rail has recently been offering 50% off sales (2-3 times a year). There is no rush to book your train ticket at this point. Fares do not increase like the airlines. I have personally travelled this route booking a ticket the day-of. Keep an eye out for sales and you should be able to travel for a lot less money or travel on Via 1/Business Class (which includes meals and drinks) for the cost of an economy ticket. In my own personal opinion Via 1 is worth the cost with the 50% off sale but not at full price.

A small correction to an earlier poster: Amtrack does service Toronto and re-enters the United States and eventually goes to New York City. I’ve been told this is a very slow but if you’re into that go for it.

Via Rail, compared to the airlines, is slow. You can usually find flights through either WestJet, Air Canada (to Pearson Airport) or Porter Airlines (which lands at the island airport immediately adjacent to downtown Toronto) for the same price as Via Rail. If, however, you prefer the train Via is not a bad way to travel and it does go from downtown Montreal to downtown Toronto which is nice.

An earlier poster suggested travelling to Ottawa. I would recommend that if you're interested though I live in Ottawa so am biased. Montreal and Ottawa are beautiful in September.

Have fun in Canada!

A small correction to an earlier poster: Amtrack does service Toronto and re-enters the United States and eventually goes to New York City. I’ve been told this is a very slow but if you’re into that go for it.

Actually, if you look closely at the timetables you'll find that the "Maple Leaf" train is a Via Rail Canada train between Toronto and the international frontier, and an Amtrak train between that frontier and New York City. The entire crew changes at the frontier. This is different from the "Adirondack" that is operated in its entirety between Montreal and New York City by Amtrak (including the portion of the train between Montreal and the international frontier). That being said, there are through fares between Toronto and New York City (but there will be two separate ticket coupons, one between Toronto and the frontier for Via Rail Canada, and another between the frontier and New York City for Amtrak), and the same physical cars continue without having to alight and board a connecting train.

The frontier crossing is especially slow. In the past I've alighted from the train on the New York side, crossed the frontier on foot, and boarded a coach on the Ontario side, leaving Niagara Falls on the coach while the train was still in the station. I arrived in Toronto at least an hour earlier than I would have if I stayed on train. Alas, this is no longer possible since the Whirlpool Rapids bridge has been closed to pedestrians (somehow pedestrians are a greater threat to national security than motor vehicles, notwithstanding the cargo-carrying capacity of motor vehicle trunks!).

Hello,

Other posters correctly identify Via Rail Canada as providing service from Montreal to Toronto.

Some Helpful Notes:

Via Rail has recently been offering 50% off sales (2-3 times a year). There is no rush to book your train ticket at this point. Fares do not increase like the airlines. I have personally travelled this route booking a ticket the day-of. Keep an eye out for sales and you should be able to travel for a lot less money or travel on Via 1/Business Class (which includes meals and drinks) for the cost of an economy ticket. In my own personal opinion Via 1 is worth the cost with the 50% off sale but not at full price.

Via Rail, compared to the airlines, is slow. You can usually find flights through either WestJet, Air Canada (to Pearson Airport) or Porter Airlines (which lands at the island airport immediately adjacent to downtown Toronto) for the same price as Via Rail. If, however, you prefer the train Via is not a bad way to travel and it does go from downtown Montreal to downtown Toronto which is nice.

An earlier poster suggested travelling to Ottawa. I would recommend that if you're interested though I live in Ottawa so am biased. Montreal and Ottawa are beautiful in September.

Have fun in Canada!

Do you have any idea if there is a pattern to Via Rail sales. I read on tripadvisor they ran a sale in July last year. The group we're traveling with is planning to take the train from Montreal to Quebec in mid Oct. I've been checking periodically on their website to see the rates.

It's my experience that the sales are on weekends. They're also usually very short, maybe 24-48 hours.

I've read that Via is changing their business model so no guarantees.

Again, with travel in the fall, you have lots of time to book so I would keep watching.

If you register for a Via Preference card (free) you can have them send you e-mails to let you know when a sale is happening. Via Preference is the frequent traveler card for Via rail. Other than the notification there's no real benefit to having it if you don't plan on traveling often on Via.

You can also take a look here:

http://www.viarail.ca/en/deals

which is where last minute travel discounts available.

Note that sales here are only usually ever for the early morning or late evening trips. It is rare to see anything mid day open for sale.

Small caution: if anyone is traveling during Canadian thanksgiving (which is in October) make sure you book your ticket at least a month in advance to avoid disappointment.

It's my experience that the sales are on weekends. They're also usually very short, maybe 24-48 hours.

I've read that Via is changing their business model so no guarantees.

Again, with travel in the fall, you have lots of time to book so I would keep watching.

If you register for a Via Preference card (free) you can have them send you e-mails to let you know when a sale is happening. Via Preference is the frequent traveler card for Via rail. Other than the notification there's no real benefit to having it if you don't plan on traveling often on Via.

You can also take a look here:

http://www.viarail.ca/en/deals

which is where last minute travel discounts available.

Note that sales here are only usually ever for the early morning or late evening trips. It is rare to see anything mid day open for sale.

Small caution: if anyone is traveling during Canadian thanksgiving (which is in October) make sure you book your ticket at least a month in advance to avoid disappointment.

Thanks for the info. I registered for the via preference. The early train on a Fri is the one we would like to take, so hopefully that will work in our favor. My only concern is that, if we wait to long will the train be sold out for that early morning trip? Or would that be a rare occurrence? Luckily, thanksgiving is 10/10 so that won't effect out trip. Thanks again, it's always helpful to get info first hand from residents.

Thanks for the info. I registered for the via preference. The early train on a Fri is the one we would like to take, so hopefully that will work in our favor. My only concern is that, if we wait to long will the train be sold out for that early morning trip? Or would that be a rare occurrence? Luckily, thanksgiving is 10/10 so that won't effect out trip. Thanks again, it's always helpful to get info first hand from residents.

I don't like making absolute statements but in this case I'll make an exception. Until September you have zero risk of your train selling out. Via has fexibility in terms of popularity of trains. If a route is becoming more popular they'll simply add another car to the train.

I've only ever seen trains sell out over holidays/long weekends. The only long weekend in October is Thanksgiving.

There is a small chance of a tiny fare increase to keep pace with inflation and the price of oil but, again, this will be slight. Via Rail used to be a government corporation and still is heavily subsidized by the federal government.

I know we've been cultured by the airlines to book as early as possible for lower rates but VIA does not operate that way.

Odds are very good a deal will pop up in the summer time for fall travel.

Unfortunately, you're just planning too far in advance! (for Via - good advance planning for airlines and cruises).

I would do this: wait until Labour Day Weekend in September and watch for deals. If you see a deal obviously grab it. If you haven't seen anything by then book at the discounted or supersaver fares (unless you want your ticket to be refundable). There's nothing special about your planned travel date (that I know of) so you could also monitor the last minute travel to see if it's likely that the Friday train will show up at a large discount.

As an aside, for morning travel, in my opinion Via 1 isn't anything special except they feed you. Stop at a Tim Hortons in the morning and grab food there and travel economy.

I don't like making absolute statements but in this case I'll make an exception. Until September you have zero risk of your train selling out. Via has fexibility in terms of popularity of trains. If a route is becoming more popular they'll simply add another car to the train.

I've only ever seen trains sell out over holidays/long weekends. The only long weekend in October is Thanksgiving.

There is a small chance of a tiny fare increase to keep pace with inflation and the price of oil but, again, this will be slight. Via Rail used to be a government corporation and still is heavily subsidized by the federal government.

I know we've been cultured by the airlines to book as early as possible for lower rates but VIA does not operate that way.

Odds are very good a deal will pop up in the summer time for fall travel.

Unfortunately, you're just planning too far in advance! (for Via - good advance planning for airlines and cruises).

I would do this: wait until Labour Day Weekend in September and watch for deals. If you see a deal obviously grab it. If you haven't seen anything by then book at the discounted or supersaver fares (unless you want your ticket to be refundable). There's nothing special about your planned travel date (that I know of) so you could also monitor the last minute travel to see if it's likely that the Friday train will show up at a large discount.

As an aside, for morning travel, in my opinion Via 1 isn't anything special except they feed you. Stop at a Tim Hortons in the morning and grab food there and travel economy.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I appreciate your recommendation and inside info. I was going to wait at least til July to see how the prices go. We are a group of 14 traveling together and I'm the researcher, so I'm trying to get a feel for when to do what. I will also call Via Rail re group travel as it gets much closer. Tim Hortons is a great idea. Thanks again for your patience in answering my questions.

Hello again,

I didn't realize you were a group. That changes things a bit.

I know in the prior sales there were a limited number of seats per train at the discounted rate. I don't know how many there are but you may be hard pressed to get 14. I personally had trouble booking a group of 5 near the end of the sale in the fall of 2010.

There are also a limited number of supersaver and discount fares aboard each train. Again, you may be limited.

VIA Rail probably only offers group rates on the regular fare but talk to them to find out.

My updated strategy: still wait and see what comes up. In the meantime, you might want to contact VIA and see what they offer then make your call based on all that information.

Either way, the fare between Montreal-Quebec City isn't too bad.

The OP's trip from Montreal to Toronto will be a bit more but it's all still affordable.

Good luck!

Archived