Star Review from 2/12

barbl123

Back from the Star-Mexican Riv Cruise (my 3rd NCL) and this will not be a long, drawn out review - just the highlights!

First and foremost -it was great! I think it is hard to go on a cruise and NOT have a good time -you really have to try to have a bad one! Now that being said - of my 3 NCL cruises this was my least favorite ship (my other 2 being Jewel class ships) It was easy to see what they upgraded/changed in the Jewel class.

The most frustrating was the Market Cafe - the lines were true cafeteria type lines -so you had to walk thru 3 or more lines to see all that was available. The food was good- but it took a while to find it all!

Missed the old Spinnaker lounge -with its windows on the sea. And the beds were not the most comfortable I have been in (unlike the Jewels).

BUT - food was great - food, room & bar staff wonderful & attentive. Ports were fun - no safety issues I could see (or feel). We had a great weather week so all in all - a GREAT TRIP!

As far a ports - it really depends on what you like to do! We did a ship Whale watch in Cabo - (but in April they may not offer them). Cabo is a tender port -once you get on land there are plenty of free lancers if you haven't picked a ship tour. In Matzalan we did Randies Happy Horses - (found it on CC) Being a horse owner I am always suspect of vacation horse rides and yet I keep doing them! That being said - this was the BEST! Nice long ride, they matched horses & riders very well - and the horses were well trained -moved if you wanted them to and didn't get into the "herd" mentality when running. We were 14 in our group which could become problematic if the horses chose to make it so! Then a stop at a nice beach front restaurant to eat and relax at the water. A great day! For PV - we just took a cab ($3 pp) to downtown and walked up and down the beach/town area. Very pretty, had a nice lunch and just enjoyed the weather. There were beach areas but we just chilled.

Hope this helps!

we were on the 2/5 Star, each port was just great. There is an army or police presence. Not a whole battalion, just a couple men with machine guns..we never felt unsafe at any port..it did not detract from our vacation. At least you knew the Mexican government was watching out for you.. The whole cruise was wonderful as was the suite on deck 12 with the balcony..just loved everything about it..Dona

Archived