Prague to Budapest vs Budapest to Prague

briangolfer

We are thinking of doing a river cruise this summer on the Danube. Is there any preference to doing it Eastbound (downstream Prague to Budapest)) vs Westbound (upstream) between Prague and Budapest?

This will be our first experience with river cruising after several on large ships (Celebrity and Princess).

will check to see which flight schedule is better...we like to do own air,,and always go at least 1 day before cruise....and sometimes 1 day after....depends on flights,etc...but should be same,either way,same stops,etc...sure you ll love river cruise...small boats,but fun to dock in city and wander off on own...do get balcony room....worth upgrade...Food is equal to most mass market large cruise ships....but you all eat at same time,,mostly large tables,,ex.buffet at breakfast and some lunches....;)

I don't think it really matters which way you go but I would encourage you to spend several extra days in Budapest and in Prague as they are both beautiful and it would be a shame to limit your time there unless you have no choice. Both of these cities are easy to get around on foot or public transportation and have a lot to offer.

We were advised by one of our neighbors that it's a matter of personal preference. We're doing Budapest to Prague because we think Prague would leave us a final memory of the cruise from Austria (which is my wife's heritage).

We're going on Tauck's Blue Danube cruise.

For us it was really a matter of which departure date fit the time frame for our June vacation, so we are doing Prague to Budapest with Uniworld, leaving Passau on June 12th. We are spending some days in Prague before, and in Budapest after, on our own, so I am currently working on that part of the trip. This will be our first river cruise and I am very much looking forward to the trip.

I definitely think sailing into Budapest is much more dramatic and memorable, as far as the river portion goes. There is nothing like the thrill of sighting the Parliament and Chain Bridge and drifting slowly into Budapest. I'm also partial toward the thermal Baths, and you will never forget spending the last day of your journey soaking in the hot water before your long flight home!

But there is nothing like cruising through Budapest after dark observing the incredible lights of Budapest....the Chain Bridge is lit up as is the Castle, the Pariament and other landmarks. It is truly beautiful. Our cruise left after dark so we were able to take in the beauty of Budapest from the river at night.

I definitely think sailing into Budapest is much more dramatic and memorable, as far as the river portion goes. There is nothing like the thrill of sighting the Parliament and Chain Bridge and drifting slowly into Budapest. I'm also partial toward the thermal Baths, and you will never forget spending the last day of your journey soaking in the hot water before your long flight home!

Jesterscourt, Can you tell me which Thermal Baths you enjoyed so much in Budapest? We are doing the Danube Cruise this year and the Hot baths sound wonderful!

The Szecheny Baths seem to be the most popular with locals and visitors alike and we spent an amazing Sunday afternoon there which we will never forget. Rick Steves has a great (and humorous) section in his Budapest chapter which will help you choose the right one. There are no bad choices. Ask at your hotel for the most convenient one. I also queried the Hungarian staff on our boat and there was a sort of competition going amongst the crew about which thermal spa or restaurant, etc. we would choose!. One of the things I like about river cruising is that you can always find a crew member who comes from the town we dock at.

• 5 years later...
We are cruising from Budapest to Prague (Blue Danube Discovery) with Avalon on their new ship for 2011 the Panorama this November and plan to do some pre & post days in Budapest and Prague. Really looking forward to it :)

Hi BPCruiser, I understand it's an old thread. We're going on the same ship this end of Oct. 2016. How was the weather there in Nov.? Anything info you can share such as the included and optional shore excursions?

Hi BPCruiser, I understand it's an old thread. We're going on the same ship this end of Oct. 2016. How was the weather there in Nov.? Anything info you can share such as the included and optional shore excursions?

HI Satseeker, Yes it has been a few years since our Blue Danube Discovery cruise on Avalon. That was our 2nd with Avalon and we have our 5th coming up soon in October. Obviously we are still happy with Avalon. Weather was good when we were there mid November, cold but not intolerable. Our cruise ended in Prague 2 days before the Thanksgiving Weekend so we stayed on our own independently in Prague to see the opening weekend of the Christmas markets before flying home.

As always pack in layers, bring a warm coat, scarf, gloves and I brought boots. A few overcast days, rain was not a problem for us fortunately but we were prepared. We love October/November cruises preferring the cooler weather. As far as optional excursions, I am not sure what choices they are currently offering but we did the evening Mozart Concert in Vienna, the Salzburg excursion from Passau (Salzburg is beautiful!!), Schonnbrun Palace in Vienna was a must see and to sample the Apple strudel. We did Terezin while in Prague if you are interested in concentration camp type excursion and we did Cesky Krumlov which was lovely.

If you have a choice between Terezin and Cesky Krumlov, I would recommend CK.

The fall foliage will be gone in November and some of your cruising time will be grey looking mornings signaling the start of Winter but I find the riverboats very cozy during the cool weather months.

All your morning walking tours are included so you can just choose which afternoon optional excursions you want to do via Avalon. You will have a wonderful time!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello BPCruiser, thank you so much for your advice and the suggestions of the optional excursions. We will have keep our fingers crossed and hope there will be no high water level issue during fall season. Have a great weekend :)

I guess you are all aware that Prague is not on the Danube. You will have a bus trip from Prague to the river or vice versa. I have just been to Prague, a truly amazing city. Well worth three days or more.

Totally agree. Prague is spectacular and much to see. Minimum 3+ days or more. We were there once in mid late November and most recently 12/15 for a Christmas Markets cruise. A must see, food is excellent and beers very inexpensive.