Black Label Photography

danilynn17

My high school friend and I got hooked into trying the black and white sessions on Noordam on Holland a few weeks ago.

My friends photos were breathtaking, One of her by herself and the others with her service dog that has saved her life many times.

She spent $1500 but like I said, she got large sizes. She did not have buyers remorse the following days and neither did I so I think we did the right thing.

is she the lady that was pushing the dog around in the Baby Carriage (and dressed it up in a Tutu and Tiara for it's birthday while on board)?

We were on Noordam 11/3-11/13, so likely yes, but I could swear she told us it was her husband's service dog (sleeps with him to help alert to high/low blood sugar).

no big deal either way, although if the same lady, then yeah. . she didn't seem to be too concerned about costs for anything (she was telling us in the Neptune lounge how she had a peanut butter and yogurt cake made for the dog for it's Birthday on board!).

Glad they were willing to work with you for a deal.

we didn't do a formal Portrait session, although we did pose for a few formal pics, and were stunned to find out they were not included in the base picture prices.

(Casual pics and any "posed" pics are different packages, and it was over $350 if you wanted a package that included all).

We balked at paying $49 for just one nice posed pic, but did end up getting (after MUCH discussion with the Photo folks) the "basic" 5 picture package that only included the "casual" shots.

part of the discussion was my question/suggestion of why not offer a package of $150 for 5 of ANY picture from either casual or posed? (not including anything from the Portrait sessions obviously, as those are separately done).

they told me NO ONE HAD EVER ASKED FOR THAT, or complained about the high costs of the pictures, and in fact, they had recently dropped prices.

(yeah, not really believing that no one asked or complained about mix/match pics).

anyways. . . it wasn't easy, as we hit multiple issues -- main one being that we wanted a picture in formal, and the photog hadn't even come by on the 1st night -- so the only formal pic we had was the one we posed for not realizing it wouldn't be included in the picture package. On the 2nd formal night, I actually had to flag down the photog in the dining room to come to our table, where he took ONE picture . . and we were horrified when we saw it:

Us in formal attire, with a waiter directly behind us looking like he was picking his nose (he was rubbing it, but from the angle, it didn't look like that).

They did their best to fix it once I complained (but they didn't NOTICE it and try to fix it before printing it out for the wall??).

and overall, they made it 'right' (can't say how, as I promised, but kudos to the photographers for making things right. . especially since they just recycle the unbought pics at the end of the cruise anyways).

So yeah. . I agree with you, insanely overpriced, but WE ended up buying a package as well.

hence why they don't drop the prices. . folks like US, buy them at the current price, so why reduce it?

Edited by bert425

Someone please tell me the 'secret' these BL photographers have in taking great photos that any decent professional photography studio can't do for a 1/3rd of the price on land?

Heheheheee .... the "SECRET" is that you actually have your family there on the ship as a captive audience for the sitting. (unless they're really, really good swimmers ):D

I'd been trying for 20 years to get our relatively small family together for a professional sitting at home.... given the idea up for dead :rolleyes:

On an Alaska cruise two years ago we tried out the "Black Label" photographer, Holly, and were very pleased with the results. She spent an hour taking our picture and another hour going over the results. We purchased 5 11x14 prints and they are the best photos we have of ourselves.

Yes, it was expensive but we are very happy with the result and would do it again.

For those that think the service costs too much, don't buy.

• 2 months later...

the black label photography was a surprise for us; got all dressed up for formal night...specifically to get our portrait done...which we did. The photographer proceeded to 'push' Black Label on us...appealed to our egos...saying we were dressed perfect for the black and whites...no cost to us...etc. Went for a lovely hour.....and at no time was the cost mentioned or hanging on the wall. When we did go back to see the whole portfolio we were extremely impressed with the shoot. Then she hit us with the price...$175.00 per 8x10...completely obscene...we walked out. We let it be known in our survey but did not hear a word. I know I can get black and whites here in our hometown...excellent quality...and nowhere near the price. Was disappointed...but c'est la vie!

is she the lady that was pushing the dog around in the Baby Carriage (and dressed it up in a Tutu and Tiara for it's birthday while on board)?

We were on Noordam 11/3-11/13, so likely yes, but I could swear she told us it was her husband's service dog (sleeps with him to help alert to high/low blood sugar).

no big deal either way, although if the same lady, then yeah. . she didn't seem to be too concerned about costs for anything (she was telling us in the Neptune lounge how she had a peanut butter and yogurt cake made for the dog for it's Birthday on board!).

Glad they were willing to work with you for a deal.

we didn't do a formal Portrait session, although we did pose for a few formal pics, and were stunned to find out they were not included in the base picture prices.

(Casual pics and any "posed" pics are different packages, and it was over $350 if you wanted a package that included all).

We balked at paying $49 for just one nice posed pic, but did end up getting (after MUCH discussion with the Photo folks) the "basic" 5 picture package that only included the "casual" shots.

part of the discussion was my question/suggestion of why not offer a package of $150 for 5 of ANY picture from either casual or posed? (not including anything from the Portrait sessions obviously, as those are separately done).

they told me NO ONE HAD EVER ASKED FOR THAT, or complained about the high costs of the pictures, and in fact, they had recently dropped prices.

(yeah, not really believing that no one asked or complained about mix/match pics).

anyways. . . it wasn't easy, as we hit multiple issues -- main one being that we wanted a picture in formal, and the photog hadn't even come by on the 1st night -- so the only formal pic we had was the one we posed for not realizing it wouldn't be included in the picture package. On the 2nd formal night, I actually had to flag down the photog in the dining room to come to our table, where he took ONE picture . . and we were horrified when we saw it:

Us in formal attire, with a waiter directly behind us looking like he was picking his nose (he was rubbing it, but from the angle, it didn't look like that).

They did their best to fix it once I complained (but they didn't NOTICE it and try to fix it before printing it out for the wall??).

and overall, they made it 'right' (can't say how, as I promised, but kudos to the photographers for making things right. . especially since they just recycle the unbought pics at the end of the cruise anyways).

So yeah. . I agree with you, insanely overpriced, but WE ended up buying a package as well.

hence why they don't drop the prices. . folks like US, buy them at the current price, so why reduce it?

Caviat Emptur

• 1 month later...

We did the session and took into account the price of a private photography session off the ship. The pricing was just about the same but the Black Label quality was far above any other professional pictures done. Another thing Black Label gave us was release of rights. The pictures were the best that we have ever taken, actually liked them-we also hate most pictures taken of us.

The pictures were fresh, not "posed" looking and expressed our real personalities.

I've often wondered about the Black Label pictures. Usually, I hate any pictures taken of me and my husband isn't thrilled with his either. This has been a great money saver for us.

However, we would be willing to pay for a really good picture. Has anyone else who feels this way tried Black Label? I'd be really interested in hearing what you think.

Marnie

We did the session and took into account the price of a private photography session off the ship. The pricing was just about the same but the Black Label quality was far above any other professional pictures done. Another thing Black Label gave us was release of rights. The pictures were the best that we have ever taken, actually liked them-we also hate most pictures taken of us.

The pictures were fresh, not "posed" looking and expressed our real personalities.

The pictures in my opinion are very personal and worth the money we paid. Joanne did ours and was wonderful.

Edited by megsgram
add information

• 7 months later...

Please forgive me for repeating what most of you already know, but for the few who don't, cruise companies make a part of they're income from excursions of choice, gambling, alcoholic beverages, alternative food choice, and yes, you guessed it - photo sessions! My family did the session on our last cruise (first photo session) and like everyone, thought it would be fun, all dressed up, no cost (yet). I hit the floor laughing (maybe crying) after the cost was revealed. I, myself, along with my family are not the type to do photo sessions so I didn't have experience with this. But it was explained to me that, first, black and white was more $$ because of the film, etc... (color cheaper) and that someone had to go into the software and basically airbrush each image (jpeg) to look so nice. So some hours had to go into these files. I understand 'black label' is a bit more than others, but because you are there in the moment, dressed a certain way, family usually together, it's very easy to accept. Like someone said early in the thread, one cannot put a price on family pictures. My advice to first timers, maybe think about this service before, and plan to add this cost into the trip ($500-$2k), or just pass and use the photo's that you take with your equipment which is fine. In the end, I have forgotten about the $1,500 (almost...) and love the pictures and would never have family photo's like these if we hadn't tried the ships onboard service.

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased $692 worth of photographs from Black Label on 17th August. To date they have not appeared nor have any responses to my emails.

I have tried to telephone black label on several occasions at various times of the day and there is no answer - their mail box is full, so you can't even leave a message.

I have emailed Holland America and to date no response from them either.

Does anyone know if Black label are still trading or has anyone else had these problems?:(

Our family of 6 adults had a session onboard the Oosterdam in July. I would say we were very satisfied overall. Total price was about $1400. But that was for 1 8x10, 7 5x7, and a disk with 6 pictures on it (so we can re-produce them ourselves)

Positives:

The session was very well run. They spent close to an hour with us with multiple poses and combinations of us.

The selection process was also well run although it took us a little time to figure out the pricing system.

The quality of the pictures are excellent. Very professional and high quality. They obviously spent time "photoshopping" out blemishes and wrinkles. The prints on the hard backing do not require framing. We are happy to display them in our living room.

The negatives:

It did take a little longer than expected to get the pictures. We got off the ship on July 20 and were promised the pictures in 6 weeks. In mid September I contacted them - unsuccessfully at first, and then finally got through - and said we needed the for gifts on September 26. They did respond and had the pictures delivered on the 26th.

- and - by the way - when we attempted to raise this issue with HAL customer service, we got absolutely no response from HAL.

I have not priced a high end professional photographer lately, but I would think that Black Label was on the high end of the scale.

The pricing mechanism is very confusing. Each size is assigned a certain number of units. You pay based on how many units you buy. But the more units you buy, the cheaper the cost per unit. So it is difficult to figure out your cost until you decide what you want to buy.

Thanks for the info. I was OK on the price, but it's the lack of photographs and response that is worrying me as at the moment I have nothing for my money!

How did you manage to contact them please - was it email or telephone and what time of day did you get through?

Do you know if they are still trading?

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I was OK on the price, but it's the lack of photographs and response that is worrying me as at the moment I have nothing for my money!

How did you manage to contact them please - was it email or telephone and what time of day did you get through?

Do you know if they are still trading?

Thanks

I called their number. But i think they are only open certain days. Listen to the recording - if you get it- and call back when they say they will be open.