Excursions for Mexican Riviera with 10 mo.

WaileaKid

We are going to the Mexican Riviera with our 10 month old son...on the Carnival Spirit on 3/11/11 (we are also bringing our 7 year old, 5 year old and 2 year old). I haven't found any great excursions for small kids but we are thinking of doing the Las Caletas beach hideaway at PV. Basically you go to the beach where you can just swim, snorkel, kayak or hang out in the shade. I didn't think any of the bus tours would be very good for small children. Either that or a trip to one of the resorts seems like a good bet for small kids too. Hope you find something you like! :)

Our family will be cruising the MR in April, and we booked the Pirate Boat shore excursion in Puerto Vallarta. It is geared toward families and children, and I heard it's a lot of fun. You sail on a "pirate ship" to a beach, hang out for a few hours, then sail back while watching a pirate show. It lasts about 6 hours, but includes breakfast, lunch and drinks. Hope this helps! :)

For a 10 month old, I'd walk over to the Krystal Resort in Puerto Vallarta (I've walked there from the port with a double stroller many times). They have a playground with swings, a nice shallow kid pool that's attached to the huge main pool, lots of umbrellas and a nice beach with palapas for shade (bring $1 or $5 bill to tip the beach worker to get you set up). You just have to spend $20 per adult on food/drink, which is well worth it.

Best,

Mia

We've been to the MR twice ... our youngest was 4 at the time though so it would be a little different.

In Cabo we got off the ship and ended up getting a glass bottom water taxi out to see the Arch and lovers beach and then had them drop us off at Medano Beach. We got a table at The Office (they were happy to let us keep our stuff there for the whole time... we ordered lunch steak tacos were DELICIOUS as was the guac and chips! They have a ton of umbrellas so it's completely shaded and they keep the vendors out. Lots of people enjoying margaritas ... our boys loved their shirley temples. We felt safe enough leaving our backpack and camera etc and rented a couple of jet skis. The water out in front of the restaurant was great for the kids. If you want to pay for a day pass I believe you could take a taxi to the Dreams resort and enjoy the all inclusive resort ... relax by a pool with your little one.

In Puerto Vallarta we did 2 resort visits. The first we went all the way up to Nuevo Vallarta and paid for a day pass at the Dreams Villamagna.. it was nice but it is a long drive... but the pool and beach were nice and the food was pretty good too. the 2nd trip we stayed close to the port... ended up at the Crown Paradise (I think is the name but don't really remember) we paid for a day pass and they had a VERY warm kids pool with slides etc. but the food wasn't great and we were limited to a snack bar kind of place cause the buffet/restaurant closed between lunch and dinner. The beach out front was really rocky and my 4 year old said he didn't like that beach cause it scraped his knees. I believe the Krystal has a similar beach... but the Krystal is a slightly longer walk and they let cruise passengers visit for free. They also have a massage place that is supposed to be great, you could trade off each staying with the baby and then switching. http://www.go2vallarta.com/milleniummassage/

Some people on the boards recommended the Dreams in Puerto Vallarta (south) and said they had a great time there... it is another option. We also enjoyed just simply walking the Malecon ... seeing the sculptures and sand sculptures. If it is very HOT it isn't that much fun to walk though.

In Mazatlan we went to the El Cid El Morro resort... one time it was fine... we just left an ID with the desk and they let us in. We didn't want to pay for an all inclusive pass... we paid for our own food and drinks by the pool. Second time they tried to push us to pay for the pass.... we went around to the other desk and did the same as we had the first visit. I've heard good things about Stone Island ... you can find directions to the water taxi stand on the MR ports of call board.

Have a fun trip! Bring lots of bottled water.

In Mazatlan, you can hire a cab driver to take you to the aquarium. The fare is about US$5 or so and admission is under US$10 per person. It's a fun, small, and relaxed museum that you can see in about an hour. They also have several amusing trained animal shows with sea lions, birds, etc. and there is a nice park next door. Then you will have plenty of time to have the cab driver to take you to a restaurant, grocery store, etc and be back at the ship in time.

Note: you don't have to bring a car seat with you to ride in Mexico, but you probably could if you wanted to with only 1 child. The taxis are much smaller than in the US so you probably couldn't easily get 2 car seats in there and still have room for 2 parents and the driver. However, it is a lot of shlepping.

http://www.acuariomazatlan.gob.mx/

Archived