Worth $280 pp to upgrade to AQ?

mamie

Also we were on a very warm weather cruise (Panama) and we drank over $400 worth of bottled water--it was free in AQ. Yes, it is worth it to us!!!

REALLY?

With 2 people in a cabin getting 2 bottles of water a day @ $2 a bottle you took a 100 day Panama cruise?

It would be worth it for us. We were on Eclipse in January, and we loved the perks, used them all. We went to the Relaxation Room and Persian Gardens every day to relax, really enjoyed Blu for the calm, elegant atmosphere and top-notch service, and also enjoyed the cabin amenities like iced tea and bottled water daily, shower jets, lovely big bath sheets instead of regular towels. However, as others have said, it's hard to make this decision for someone else. If you prefer traditional dining, or sitting at large tables to chat with other cruisers, then you may not enjoy Blu as much as we did.

We went to Blu and didn't like the menu nor did we care for the service - it was good MDR service but not speciality restaurant level

We went to the Select dining in the MDR. The Maitre de, Ibraham, seated us at at 2 top next to the railing where our waiter, Iladio (15 years of expereince) put the waiters in Blu to shame.

The following night we didn't like the menu in Blu and returned to the Select MDR where we DID prefer the menu. Once again we got a 2-top with another waiter, Agnelo (13 years of experience) who AGAIN put the waiters from Blu to shame.

To the OP, we love AQ class, really love Blu for the food, both breakfast and dinner. As others have said, it's subjective and you have to decide. Having read all these posts, my guess is some of the negative feedback has come from some who haven't tried AQ, therefore haven't experienced Blu and the other perks and honestly some who haven't cruised on a Celebrity.

As someone who just got off the 2-27 Solstice and sailed in AQ and who is very picky about food and service:

NO, Blu was not to my liking. I'll continue to sail with Celebrity as they are my favority line but I'll stick to the M-Class ships and when I sail S-Class I'll stick to veranda or CC

I too, am trying to decide whether to go AQ or not. For me, right now it is $250.00 more per person, and I know I am not paying that. My cruise is May 2, 14 day cruise. Right now I have a hump room with the biggest balcony, so I have a good room on 9 I believe. There are 11 rooms still left in AQ, so I watch it every day. It was reduced 2 weeks ago to lower than I paid for my 2A room, but was for new bookings only. So I am hoping eventually they might lower it as long as there are rooms left. If not, and rooms are still left at sailing time, perhaps I can upgrade then. They only charge you a flat fee then, and sometimes it is worth it. I would like to try Blu and don't understand why they don't let people experience it as long as there is room. It might sell more AQ rooms for them that way.

I was wondering if you get discounts on any spa treatments, or if the only perk you get is the Persian Gardens. Also, how much is tipping for a AQ room? That has to be figured in as well. I think it is 10.50 per day for the balcony room unless it has changed since my last cruise.

Gratuities are $12 pp per day in CC and AQ, $11.50 in verandas. No special spa discounts other than the ones available to all for port days, happy hours, etc and there were quite a few of those. If Persian Garden is something you would use (I did everyday and there were always loungers available) factor in $99 per week right there.

Only you can decide if the style of food in Blu suits you. Menus are all here, including the breakfast menu on page 29 and day one at end, thanks to Crissy: http://sailing.smugmug.com/Celebrity-Eclipse-November/MenusFood/14850454_UchZ4#1108672562_sNuwU

Member reviews for your ship by those who were in AQ are helpful too. If you want to use the message board for this type of question, then "search the forum" so you have comments over a long period of time.

That said, it is a personal decision, I found the food in Blu excellent and well prepared. If you have ever taken a galley tour, the difference between preparing 2600 meals there or 260 meals in a separate small kitchen with its own chef is evident. The Eclipse Blu chef was skilled and creative though working with set X menus. Over two weeks we just wandered down to Blu whenever the mood to eat finally struck us, and there was always a table with the server requested and without a wait. Service received from the front and waitstaff was professional and warm, but then I enjoy getting to know each server. Blu's seating flexibility and personal attention alone was worth the extra money to me and is a reason one cannot just try Blu if there is room. We might show up five minutes later!

There is no "yes or no" answer to your question..it is a purely personal decision dependent on price differentials.

I was wondering if you get discounts on any spa treatments, or if the only perk you get is the Persian Gardens.

Unfortunately AQ doesn't give any reductios on spa treatments. You get the pass to the Persian Gardens - just go to the spa desk, show your AQ and you'll get the card to enter.

One thing that would make AQ a better deal would be 1 or 2 spa therapies included or even a 10-20% reduction in spa treatments...just my thoughts.

BTW you can purchase a week long Persian Garden pass for $99 pp

or you can purchase a day pass to Persian Garden for $20.

If you are an Elite member you get a free day pass to the Persian Gardens for one port day.

REALLY?

With 2 people in a cabin getting 2 bottles of water a day @ $2 a bottle you took a 100 day Panama cruise?

The bottles were the large ones that cost almost $5 each with the 15% included! We each drank at least 4 bottles each day--do the math! We drink a LOT of water! We were on an 11 night cruise. There is no limit to the # of bottles you can get, our steward placed 8 bottles in our cabin every day.

Archived