CT to Cape Liberty - Options?

dyjack

We are trying to determine the most cost effective route to Cape Liberty for a May sailing.

We could drive and park at the pier for I believe $19/day. We'd be looking at $170 minimum plus gas and tolls on the way back.

Amtrak would be $112 for us total (parking at our station is free). We'd have to figure the transportation from Newark to the port though. I'm hearing something like $50 for a taxi.

I see a few hotels but I haven't been able to confirm if the parking there truly is free for the duration of the cruise.

So - Cape Liberty folks - Any suggestions?

Part of the answer to your question depends on where in Connecticut. There are a few quite-inexpensive bus services that travel between Connecticut and New York, and the Metro-North Railroad service is also quite reasonable in price. Those choices still leave you with the problem of getting to Bayonne, the choices being public transportation most or at least part of the way, or taxi.

There is also the Entertainment Tours bus service from New London, New Haven, Bridgeport, and Hartford direct to the Cape Liberty Cruise Port in Bayonne. This bus service is rather expensive (about $100 per person). See http://www.enttours.com.

Thanks for the response!

I'm right in the middle of the state. Doesn't take me long to get to New Haven so Metro-North is always an option but that will get me to Grand Central. Would I then take another commuter out to Bayonne?

The bus listed comes out more expensive than driving. It looks as though that may be cheapest option without hopping from one train to another or train to taxi. Hmmm.

I believe that Entertainment Tours, while convenient, is priced high compared to other services. Depending on the situation, it may be less expensive driving oneself (but do be certain to factor in the cost of parking).

From central Connecticut there's the Megabus and Boston Deluxe bus services into midtown Manhattan, both being fairly inexpensive and perhaps more convenient than going into New Haven for Metro North. But that still leaves the issue of getting from Manhattan to Bayonne, generally an expensive proposition. TransportAzumah is establishing a Cruise Shuttle service from midtown Manhattan directly to the Cape Liberty Cruise Port. Their schedules are not yet posted, but there's contact information available on the website. See http://www.transportazumah.com/CruiseShuttle. Perhaps the bus or train to midtown + the Cruise Shuttle would total to a reasonable cost. Otherwise, public transportation to the Cape Liberty Cruise Port, while inexpensive, is a somewhat involved procedure (either commuter bus or two trains to Bayonne, then local taxi to the port).

Archived