Extra Tips: Do staff keep them or are they included in pool?

a1chemist

My wife and I are taking a Carnival cruise from Port Canaveral to Bermuda in June. My last cruise was on Princess and I was told on the Princess Cruise board that if you tip a staff member above the daily standard tip charged to your account that the staff member is obligated to place the tip in the general pool by policy.

Does a similar policy exist on Carnival?

all tips go and stay with the person you either give it to, or are autotipped to.

no pools exist on carnival.

Absolutely right. We talked directly with a bar waiter and he said just what H82seaUgo said. That's one reason why we, 2 couples, tipped him extra, he'd be able to keep it. I've never tipped a bar waiter extra before. BTW, bar waiters don't get a salary, only tips from the drinks they sell, that's it! So we were happy to give him a bit extra.

all tips go and stay with the person you either give it to, or are autotipped to.

no pools exist on carnival.

That's not entirely true. The automatic tip on your check when you get a drink from a bartender is pooled and shared by all bartenders. If you give them an extra tip, whether on the S&S or in cash, they keep it. Tips on S&S checks from bar waiters/waitresses go directly to them.

I always give the room steward and his assistant, and the MDR waiter and his assistant an extra tip - they deserve it for the services they provide. If I found out that it went to a pool, I would be highly insulted and angry. The idea of giving the extra tip is to make sure that those individuals get rewarded for their services.

Absolutely right. We talked directly with a bar waiter and he said just what H82seaUgo said. That's one reason why we, 2 couples, tipped him extra, he'd be able to keep it. I've never tipped a bar waiter extra before. BTW, bar waiters don't get a salary, only tips from the drinks they sell, that's it! So we were happy to give him a bit extra.

They do get a salary, about $70/month like all the the other servers & room stewards.

My wife and I are taking a Carnival cruise from Port Canaveral to Bermuda in June. My last cruise was on Princess and I was told on the Princess Cruise board that if you tip a staff member above the daily standard tip charged to your account that the staff member is obligated to place the tip in the general pool by policy.

Does a similar policy exist on Carnival?

What ship are you on? I didnt know they went to bermuda from Florida.

Bill

We`ve been on many Princess cruises and talking to the staff I get the same reply - the `regular mandatory`(for lack of better description) tips go in a pool. Any tipping over and above that amount the person gets to keep.

Also told that if they receive cash `regular mandatory`tip and don`t report it they are let go.

Have been told by several staff that they actually prefer the auto tipping.

They do get a salary, about $70/month like all the the other servers & room stewards.

I don't know what the truth is here, but we did hear that the bar waiters....the ones who come around on deck & serve drinks, etc - make the LEAST amount of money of any crew member. They are also the only ones for whom Carnival pays their airline ticket when they go back home...again, we were only told this by a crew member, don't know if it is fact. So, interesting to hear similar stories.

I don't know what the truth is here, but we did hear that the bar waiters....the ones who come around on deck & serve drinks, etc - make the LEAST amount of money of any crew member. They are also the only ones for whom Carnival pays their airline ticket when they go back home...again, we were only told this by a crew member, don't know if it is fact. So, interesting to hear similar stories.

They do not pay the airfare for bar waiters/waitresses. That is considered a "tipping position". All tipping positions must pay for their own flight.

Archived