Lamanai & New River Safari

GummyBear

When we were on the Sun in Dec. we went on this excursion. I enjoyed it a great deal but bring a wind-breaker - the boats REALLY speed along the New River. The boat ride was fun and the ruins were very interesting. My only regret was that we did not have more time at the ruins.

Has anyone been on this excursion? We're considering it for April on the Dream

Highly recommended! The boat ride was interesting with some nice wildlife sightings (especially water fowl). The lunch at Lamanai was very good and the ruins were outstanding.

There are 2-3 vendors at the boat launch site, but we did not see anything terribly interesting to buy. I would suggest that you beware of the wood carvings and bowls offered there. We have heard that the wood might not be properly cured and they will split.

Have a great cruise!

Mike, Zeno....Thanks for the advice. Only 49 days and counting. I was hoping for a slow boat ride for photo ops in the jungle. How fast is fast?

ute_fan, check back here early May and I'll have some photos and comments.

Mike, Zeno....Thanks for the advice. Only 49 days and counting. I was hoping for a slow boat ride for photo ops in the jungle. How fast is fast?

ute_fan, check back here early May and I'll have some photos and comments.

It is pretty fast (hard to judge speed on the water), but the guide and helpers are on the lookout for wildlife. They will slow to a stop for interesting plants or animals for photos. The trip back from the ruins to the bus was quicker since we needed to get back to the ship.

We took the Lamanai trip last yr at this time with this company:

http://belizecruiseexcursions.com/Lamanai_Belize.htm

We saved about $12 pp over the ship and we had a smaller group. The van driver and the ruins guide were both very knowledgeable. The drive up the river was fast, but as stated, they do stop for photo ops of wildlife, etc.

It was a great tour. The howler monkeys at the ruins will make you think you're at Jurassic Park! :)

Becki

We just got back from the Lamanai excursion using belizeexcursions. Not a ship excursion booking. Ditto on all the comments above, but it is a long day and you have to enjoy sitting in a boat for an hour at a time (which we did). It was a fun time and the howler monkeys are worth the trip. The biggest advantage to booking in your own is a smaller group on your excursion. The operators all use cell phones and they are very aware of your ships schedule.. very hard to miss the boat as they say.

We loved this tour. On the boat ride out we stopped all the time to see wildlife,,,herons, egret, bats, iguanas, crocodiles, termites, Jesus Christ birds, and more. It was definitely part of the wonderfulness of the day. The meal was simple and tasty, the monkeys out of this world, the chance to climb a mayan pyramid was for me "priceless", a dream of a lifetime and we climbed two. There was a ball court and a residential area to explore as well.

We were there (early Feb) during a dry season. We had no bug problems. If you are going during mosquito season bring along Deet and use it.

I bought a bowl and a little covered pot at the boat landing....Even if the wood wasn't cured I had to have some and knew I would have no time in the City. I have been vigorously oiling them as they dry out and though there are cracks, at the moment they are still very minor, and the wood is beautiful, and the workmanship good and a marvelous reminder of our day in Belize.

Su

When is mosquito season in Belize?

Lamanai was the only place we encountered mosquitos during the entire cruise. They were mainly on the legs so it is possible they were something other than mosquitos. Just use a good insect repellent and you should be fine.

Mosquito season is typically April to November. We did the Lamanai excursion in early May and were not bitten up, and I am a magnet for mosquitos. We were prepared though. I purchased some "Off" towelettes. They come in a small plastic container that is easy to throw in a backpack. I also had a small tube of "Ultrathon", which is an insect repellant lotion/cream recommended by someone on our cruise. Some sunscreens also have insect repellants in them, but I've never tried them so am not sure how well they work.

Becki

Thanks for mosquito info. I've never had to think about the pesky creatures, but this is my first spring cruise. Last January I took jungle shore excursions on Barbados and St. Lucia. I never even thought of insect replllant. (I know..not to smart) Luckly there were no bugs.

kirbmeister >>> GREAT link, Thanks

Kirbmeister,

Thanks so much for the link to the video of New River/Lamanai. We had booked this through RCCL a couple of months ago for our April cruise. The description sounded very interesting, but we have 2 small children, and we initially thought they would really enjoy this. After viewing the video, we decided that this excursion would probably be too lengthy for them and we should hold off on something like this until they are a little older.

So, as much as this has helped others book it, it helped us cancel it and plan something more appropriate (Caye Caulker through Coral Breeze) that they (and ultimately mom and dad) will enjoy more. Thanks for helping me save a lot of money and making our Belize stop more enjoyable for all.

I wish there were more of these videos to help people make good excursion choices.

Thanks again!

We just returned on 3/19/05 sailing the NCL Sea this was a great tour, but my 73 yo mother has arthritis and could not make the walk it had some very tall steps (12" to 14") and quite a few more steps not so steep, and it was HOT, hot,HOOTT. But if you are in fair shape you will not have any problems, just drink plenty of water I almost drink the price of the tour in free water. It is well worth the price and a beautiful place to see.

I liked the ship decor.....it's a little less Vegas, and a little more traditional. Our cabin was in very good shape. The ship is very relaxed for the most part. I really like freestyle. We did have really high seas (8-10 feet) and wind (20-25 knots) while we were aboard so there was a good bit of movement...Most of the time it was like riding a bus, sometimes a little more....We are not sensitive to motion though so we were ok. You just have to remember that water moves.....;) and not get caught off guard.

According to the crew, the ship is actually scheduled to drydock here in Mobile in a couple of weeks, so it should be freshly maintained before you sail.

MobileMystic,

Thanks for the info. I just did a little research and the Dream has no itineraries scheduled between April 4 and April 19. She sets sail for Alaska the day we disembark so going to drydock then sounds pretty reasonable. I wonder if they will add the "hull art"

If you look on NCL's website under "news", there's an article covering the new hull art they are planning. The Jewel, Spirit and the Sun are scheduled to have hull art on them within the next year or so. I saw nothing about the Dream, but who knows, it could happen.

Archived