Chankanaab--our "do it yourself" experience last week

rt3773

I reley heavily on these boards when planning so I thought I would post about our experience last week (Feb 19th) in Cozumel. We were sailing on Carnival's Triumph and chose to go to Chankanaab Park on our own without booking an excursion thru the ship. We had a family memeber who had done it before and assured us we could do it. We were first time cruisers and were a little nervous but need to save the money when possible.

We were at the Puerta Maya Pier and walked thru the shopping area to the front and we told the guys working the taxis we wanted to go to Chankanaab. There was a sign with prices posted--so no inflated prices. We were safely driven to the park for $10. Upon arrival at the park we paid our entrance of $21 per person and we were greeted by a very friendly gentleman who explained the park to us. We explored on our own. We took our own snorkle stuff and used their life jackets (for free), rented a locker for $3, sat in hammocks, in chairs under grass huts, enjoyed the amazing views, saw numerous iguanas. There was very few people there. If we would have decided to swim with the dolphins, we could have went back up front and purchased those tickets and they would have deducted the admission price since that is included if you do that. When we were ready to return, we went to the front of the park, where we told them what boat we were going back to and they took us back for another $10. Then we shopped and got a snack back at the pier.

We were very pleased with our choice and found doing it on our own to be very easy and safe......but once again we didnt cut it close getting back to the pier area.....our boat left at 5 and we were back there by 1:30. :)

Doing things on your own is the way to go! We have compared prices and for most things, the savings is huge. We were shocked at the price difference for ship vs. "own your own" tours. For example, we are going to Cozumel in Nov. with a lot of family members. For our family of 7, we are going to save over $500 by going to Punta Sur on our own! To rent a van for 7 is about $70 to $100 per day and it only costs $10 to get in. Carnival charges $99 per person! I understand the the ship needs to make money but in some cases, the price difference is beyond reason. I highly recommend comparing and checking out your options in most ports. I know if can be scarey for some but once you do it once, you will never want to go back to the large buses filled with people being overcharged!

Wanted to mention this: The one port that we didn't save by going on our own is Belize because everything is so far out and they don't have a set taxi system in place. Also, this may be the port to take a ship tour because everything is far out and we personally don't feel comfortable leaving the gates of tourism village on our own.

Yes, I definitely think before you venture out on your own you need to make sure a good taxi system is in place. Obviously Cozumels is. When we were in the taxi, my husband asked how many taxis they had running each day and he said 2700! I have heard/read of horror stories of taxis over charging, but in Coz, the prices were posted on a sign before you ever got in. I can not speak for other destinations, but check things out.

The ships personal really tries to convience you that anything but a ships excursion is not safe, but I just wanted to tell you of our good experience. I wish I was made of money and didnt have to cut corners everywhere....but I do and we saved a tremendous amt of $ by going on our own.... and felt safe doing it.

Cruise critic is a great place to seek out ways to save some serious cash when booking excursions..there are times when I'd be leery to book outside of the cruise line ( for example, Carnivals 'first time out' to La Romana..we weren't taking any chances so we booked one of Carnivals), but with all the information here? It makes it much easier and more comforting to book private, even at tender ports!

Lots of these islands depend on cruise passengers to funnel $$ into their country and economy..and most can't afford to screw up... I wonder how many folks have missed the boat due to THEIR lack of communication VS. the private excursion folks being at fault? I've taken some private tours that even carry insurance policies to get you to the next port if something catastrophic happens!

• 2 weeks later...
I reley heavily on these boards when planning so I thought I would post about our experience last week (Feb 19th) in Cozumel. We were sailing on Carnival's Triumph and chose to go to Chankanaab Park on our own without booking an excursion thru the ship. We had a family memeber who had done it before and assured us we could do it. We were first time cruisers and were a little nervous but need to save the money when possible.

We were at the Puerta Maya Pier and walked thru the shopping area to the front and we told the guys working the taxis we wanted to go to Chankanaab. There was a sign with prices posted--so no inflated prices. We were safely driven to the park for $10. Upon arrival at the park we paid our entrance of $21 per person and we were greeted by a very friendly gentleman who explained the park to us. We explored on our own. We took our own snorkle stuff and used their life jackets (for free), rented a locker for $3, sat in hammocks, in chairs under grass huts, enjoyed the amazing views, saw numerous iguanas. There was very few people there. If we would have decided to swim with the dolphins, we could have went back up front and purchased those tickets and they would have deducted the admission price since that is included if you do that. When we were ready to return, we went to the front of the park, where we told them what boat we were going back to and they took us back for another $10. Then we shopped and got a snack back at the pier.

We were very pleased with our choice and found doing it on our own to be very easy and safe......but once again we didnt cut it close getting back to the pier area.....our boat left at 5 and we were back there by 1:30. :)

Thank you so much for posting this! We are in the same situation and refuse to pay the $$ for ship excursion to Chankanab for just my daughter to swim with dolphins. We will take taxi to and from. I wondered if they would deduct the admission from the swim with dolphins at the gate, so the information you posted is much appreciated. We are also on the Triumph. How did you like the ship? This is our first cruise as well and we are super excited but not sure what to expect. We have 3 kido's traveling with us (11,13,16). Any tips from your experience?

Thanks bunches!

May 2010 as a single Mom bringing two teen daughters I went to the Chan. web site and booked taxi and dolphin swim through them. I was thrilled with our experience. I prepaid for Taxi and everything! We also rented snorkel euipment at the park and snorkled, it was ok...but nothing if you are a diver or seasoned snorkel person. From what others have told me of their Dolphin swims ours far out did theirs! We arrived at the park early and it was never crowded

We were there the same day as you!!

We had a fantastic experience, also booked independently, not through the ship. We swam with the dolphins, snorkeled, and had a fantastic day. Definitely the highlight of the trip. And the weather, as you know, was perfect that day :).

We were there the same day as you!!

We had a fantastic experience, also booked independently, not through the ship. We swam with the dolphins, snorkeled, and had a fantastic day. Definitely the highlight of the trip. And the weather, as you know, was perfect that day :).

Who did you book through?

Thanks...we've been to Cozumel a couple of times and I concur about how easy and "standardized" it is to cab in Cozumel. Just would add, get exact cahnge for fare and tip, cabbies may not have change in the am.

Your review has really helped me...I am going on Jewel OS with my teens and mom and when we passed the park in December (on our way back from Nachi Co Com) I thought it would be great for the teens, but really didn't want to shell out for the ships excursion. How did you find the snorkeling? My 14yo really wants to do some good snorkeling.

Thanks for your update, it helps us all plan! CC is how I found Nachi CoCom and that worked out so well!

Just wondered how many was able to travel for $10? We have 8 going and I'm wondering if they have van size taxis or will we need two taxis at $20.

The prices from Puerta Maya pier (probably the same from International):

DSCF3198.jpg

Just wondered how many was able to travel for $10? We have 8 going and I'm wondering if they have van size taxis or will we need two taxis at $20.

For taxis, it is $10 for up to 4 people. Don't know what a 'van' taxi would cost. However, there is a taxi coordinator that you can speak with to find the best arrangement.

Does Chankanaab have a beach?

Yes, but can be rocky in spots. Nice sandy area for the chairs, palapas, umbrellas and hammocks.

Note on taxis. When were there this past January, we wanted to go from Chankanaab to Centro (downtown square.) The sign at Chank had a posted price of $10 for up to 4. We verified that with the taxi loader.

After we left Chank, we told the driver where we wanted to go and he said it would be a higher price. We protested and told him to just take us back to Puerta Maya pier. We spoke to the taxi loader at the pier and he told the driver he was wrong and take us downtown. He protested but the loader pulled rank. We had a 'no conversation' ride to town. :mad: :D

Who did you book through?

We just booked directly through their website. Look on the website for specials.

And be sure to know that you can talk them down in price when they try to sell you the photo cd...we got them down by $50.

ETA: tried to post the link but it wouldn't let me...just google Chankanaab national park and follow prompts to dolphins.

Archived