Sunday/Monday in St. Petersburg...

grandmaa

The cruise we are looking at for the Baltics has a scheduled stop for St. Petersburg..Sunday-Monday June 19-20,2011. Are all the visiting sites open on Sunday/Monday or are some closed because it is Sunday/Monday? Thanks for your responses...

The cruise we are looking at for the Baltics has a scheduled stop for St. Petersburg..Sunday-Monday June 19-20,2011. Are all the visiting sites open on Sunday/Monday or are some closed because it is Sunday/Monday? Thanks for your responses...

Our cruise is in St. Petersburg a week later, so I have a bit of information for you.

It is true that some sights are closed on Mondays, and maybe some on Sundays as well, but I don't think any of the "must see" sights are closed both days. In booking our two day private tour, we learned that the operators reverse their ordinary two day itinerary tothe extent necessary to assure that you see everything. The Hermitage is the big one - it is closed on Monday, so SPB, the tour company we selected, does the Hermitage on day one rather than its usual day two. There may be some other adjustments.

I do know that we will not be missing any of the sights included in the tour we chose.

You should ask any tour operator you are considering how they handle any museum or palace closings occurring during your stay. I suspect they will merely change the itinerary to accommodate the closures.

It is only the Hermitage and the Grand Palace in Peterhof which are closed on Mondays. However, most authorised tour companies can arrange a tour of the Grand Palace (the fountain park is open anyway) on a day off. As to the Hermitage, you can do it on Sunday.

All the museums and palaces are open on Sundays.

Archived