TA on QM2 with DD's ages 11 and 15

junglejane

My DH is anxious to do a transatlantic on the Queen Mary 2 next summer with our 2 DD's, who will be 15 and 11 by then. His idea is to take an eastbound crossing and then spend some time in London and/or Paris before flying home. I am wondering if anyone here has had any actual experience with kids this age on the QM2 in the summer. We know there are 4 formal nights and one semi-formal on a 7 day crossing, and that is not a problem. In fact it's part of the attraction. Our daughters love any excuse to dress up. They also love eating in the MDR and are used to cruising on ships without waterslides or rock climbing walls. But I am hoping there will be something for them to do!

It's mainly the 11 year old that I'm wondering about. I figure that the 15 year old will find some other teens her age and have a good time (while following our family's "cruise rules" and checking in regularly with mom). But I know that 11 can be a difficult age for cruising -- starting too feel too old for the kids' program but not really ready for much independence. That's why I'm hoping for some decent age appropriate activities for my 11 year old -- hopefully not just lumped in with 7 year olds for movies or arts and crafts. Does anyone have any experience with this on Cunard?

Hi Junglejane,

I wish I had experience with that particular cruise! :) We receive Cunard mailings every two or three weeks and every time one arrives I have a dreamy moment where I imagine our family doing a transatlantic crossing on the Queen Mary. Then I come back down to earth and remember that, even though I don't get seasick, I don't like bumpy cruises (don't care for turbulence when I'm flying either) and I'm too nervous for an ocean crossing. Hopefully it's a hurdle I can get over one day! I do hope that you go on this cruise so you can report back on how your daughters enjoyed it. London and Paris would be amazing as well! When are you thinking of going?

Lisa

Archived