How do you not gain weight on a cruise??!!

Summertime

Last night I took my girls out to dinner and my oldest daughter loves buffets so I took them to a buffet type restaurant. They had a wonderful time while I kept thinking the whole time "I'm going to gain a ton of weight on our cruise if we eat at the buffet once a day!" I don't even think I'd worry so much about it because I feel like I can lose it once I get home but I don't want to take two sets of clothes - one set for the first half of the cruise and a size bigger for the next half of the cruise? I've got a formal gown that fits just right but add five pounds and it probably won't fit just right. How do you possibly not gain weight with all that food around?? And before someone tells me that you just need to eat in moderation, that dosen't seem like it would happen. I rarely if ever have dessert at home but I certainly have it when I go to a restaurant and if I wind up having dessert at lunch and dinner on the cruise every day, that's an extra 5 pounds right there!!! And what about that eggs benedict for breakfast and chocolate covered strawberries in the evening etc. etc. I think I've gained weight just thinking about it all.

Summer

Here are some tried and true ways to avoid gaining weight on a cruise:

1) Be active, whether it's aerobics classes, walking on deck, working out in the gym, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, signing up for excursions that involve activity, or some combination of these.

2) When you have a choice, choose the restaurant over the buffet (it's human nature, I think, to eat more in the buffet).

3) If you wish to have dessert both lunch and dinner, choose fruit as dessert for one of those meals.

4) Avoid nibbling between meals.

5) Try items on the dinner menu labelled "spa cuisine," "heart healthy," or whatever. They are likely to be lower in fat, and the chef usually goes out of his way to make these interesting and tasty.

Of all these, item number 1 (be active) is the best and can cover a lot of sins:D.

Have a great time.

Here's some things that have worked for us; we don't eat either breakfast or lunch in the dining room because we like to eat outside in the sunshine.

1. stay away from the pasteries in the a.m. and subsititue with fruit; you can have an omlette with veggies or smoked salmon with tomatoes and onions.

2. do at least 30 minutes of some excercise during the day.

3. for lunch, do salads with either grilled chicken or fish.

4. for dinner, eat pretty much whatever you want but don't order multiple entrees.

5. I love dessert - but we share one.

6. We don't drink much during the day anymore but enjoy our wine in the evening. Occasionally one of those frozen drinks is very refreshing by the pool - try to limit to only one or two a day.

This may seem somewhat limiting because you are on vacation, but it really does work for us. When we came back from our last cruise, I didn't gain a pound and my husband gained about 5 but he doesn't go to the gym with me and he ate pasteries every day but still not toooo bad.

For our first cruise last October, I came home and had not gained any weight. I ate at the buffet for breakfast & lunch, and the dining room in the evening. For breakfast, I was sensible and tried to take sensible choices, but for lunch and dinner I ate desserts & had bread, but we were very very active. We walked alot and took the stairs 80% of the time. In San Juan, we took the walking tour.

The three little words that have prevented me (an AVID eater) from gaining weight on any cruise I've been on... AND THE MAGIC WORDS ARE..... (drum roll please)

Take the stairs.

:D

Oh yes, 3 others words I live by are:

Snorkel a lot

(may substitute snorkel for swim, hike, walk, bike, or other fun outdoor activity you should be doing on a cruise anyway!)

:D

Archived