Dinner jacket vs. Sport Coat....?

kymbakitty

Thank you very much for this post. This is what I will show hubby because I think it contains everything I asked about and also suggested that his sports coat and tie with nice shirt may be fine. He will ultimately decide if it is sufficient...but if not, you can find us "hiding" in the speciality restaurants!

Thanks!!!!

Dawn

If your cruise includes 2 formal nights, you could plan on the specialty restaurant for the first one. When your DH sees that many of the people waiting to be seated in the MDR are not dressed in strictly "formal" attire, he may feel comfortable attending the 2nd formal night in his sport coat.

I think he would be fine in any dining venue in the sport coat, but if he is not comfortable, you'll have a great time in the specialty restaurant.

I have an idea. Based on the 10 cruises I have been on so far....why not set up the specialty restaurants for those who wish to wear a tux and leave the MDR for the 80+ percent of us who are happy to wear casual. We all pay the same price for our staterooms. Go to the theater after supper and count the men who have removed their tie and jacket.

I have an idea. Based on the 10 cruises I have been on so far....why not set up the specialty restaurants for those who wish to wear a tux and leave the MDR for the 80+ percent of us who are happy to wear casual. We all pay the same price for our staterooms. Go to the theater after supper and count the men who have removed their tie and jacket.

Fully concur with setting up a specialty restaurant for those who wish to wear a tux or dark suit. However, been on more than 10 cruises and I don't believe it is 80+% who wear casual. In fact on the Island last month I would say that only less than 20% were casual in the MDR on Formal nights. Happy Cruising!

Fully concur with setting up a specialty restaurant for those who wish to wear a tux or dark suit. However, been on more than 10 cruises and I don't believe it is 80+% who wear casual. In fact on the Island last month I would say that only less than 20% were casual in the MDR on Formal nights. Happy Cruising!

Although I agree with your estimate, you don't know how many of those would have preferred not dressing up. You also aren't taking into account those who would prefer a main dining room but are eating in the buffet because of not wanting to dress up.

I agree, however, in 30 Princess cruises I put it at less than 5% who wear the so called smart/formal/casual inthe MDR on formal nights. Most men just follow the answer book requested dress code or what is published on the front page of the daily patter.

I like your idea but I think the 80 % number is the actually amount of guys who dress down after eating in the dining room. Most of the ones who do dress up are coerced into doing so by their wives. There's probably a very small percentage of the guys who would dress just because "they like it" and of that percentage most would be over the age of 70.

Archived