PEARL in ALASKA SEPT 18th

Shutterbug337

There has been so much great info on CC... I was just wondering if anyone had any advice?recommendations? Pictures of the balcony rooms?

We really want to go fishing on this trip, any ideas.. I welcome ALL responses.. I love hearing others opinions. :D

Just how much extra do things cost.. we are bringing water and soda on board, doing the "auto-tip" thing sounds easy, excursions can run just about whatever you want to spend, I just wanted to get an idea of how much to budget for after boarding, we don't drink alcohol so not a problem there. What did you spend if it isn't too personal. We just want a ballpark figure. Anything to NOT forget besides a raincoat?

Thanx...and YES... VERY EXCITED about going!

There is already a thread posted just a few threads away from yours about what people spend. Here is the link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1367350

You'll get some answers but I recommend you take some time and read through the many helpful answers that are already here.

There is also a forum that deals with whatever ports you may want information about.

Enjoy your cruise.

we did a cruise, to alaska, during that same period..just to ready for any weather. we got heavy rain/wind in ketchikan, due to weather many tours were not available. juneau had sleet/ice and rain, but the whales didn't mind as as long as i saw humpbacks i didn't care. `

make sure you have an outer layer that is water-proof and good shoes wth non-slid soles (the metal stairs, coming off the ship, can get slippery)

you can get fishing information here: http://www.visit-ketchikan.com/TravelersDirectory.aspx that late, in the season, the king salmon is not at peak, smaller salmon may be available. halibut is at it's peak, but those are (usually) all day tours (long ways out to the halibut grounds)

There has been so much great info on CC... I was just wondering if anyone had any advice?recommendations? Pictures of the balcony rooms?

We really want to go fishing on this trip, any ideas.. I welcome ALL responses.. I love hearing others opinions. :D

Just how much extra do things cost.. we are bringing water and soda on board, doing the "auto-tip" thing sounds easy, excursions can run just about whatever you want to spend, I just wanted to get an idea of how much to budget for after boarding, we don't drink alcohol so not a problem there. What did you spend if it isn't too personal. We just want a ballpark figure. Anything to NOT forget besides a raincoat?

Thanx...and YES... VERY EXCITED about going!

We went on the Pearl this past September. Like the last cruise of the season and although I did not take them up on it, I was offered a deep discount on a fishing trip for the day. Everywhere we looked there were tour people asking if we would be interested in their tour and was at a very good price. As for weather, it was like 70F in Ketchikan, 68F in Skagway and Juneau was very sunny. Only rained in Victoria (drizzle). Records set in those ports for heat. That said who knows, huh. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. We stayed in an inside cabin, ate at two specialty restaurants ($50.00), rented a car in Skagway ($160.00) and the lumberjack show in Juneau ($75.00). I bought a flavored drink (margarita) about ever day when on special totaling $5.40 eash. We brought our own cokes also. We did buy the certificate on board for a $100.00 OBC and are going back to Alaska on the Star May 14. Now my tips for helping cut cost. PLAN, PLAN, PLAN. I got the NCL CC and they give you 10,000 points = $100.00 OBC after first use. In September all stuff in shops were marked down very good. If needed, book pre-cruise hotel through that price place, look at any tours that are in the toursaver book and the good for your time of visit is there will be places online where people will be selling those books for like 1/2 off. (we will be doing that). Book through a TA that provides you OBC if possible. A rain coat is a good idea and some say the winds can be too strong for an umbrella, but we are taking one this time also. Hope some help.

Gohogs34@yahoo.com

1st photo is ketchikan, people with umbrellas were a sidewalk hazard.

2nd photo was skagway, did get some sun shine later in the day.

layers, layers and more layers...better then 1 big coat. sales were good, but the lines (at the register) were long. in skagway,one store had lines that wrapped around the store. best shopping was in ketchikan, fewer mark downs, but less crowds.

we knew what to expect and were prepared...the shorter days were more of a problem then the weather.

100_0565.jpg.77588ab97831d644fbc2900c635cb623.jpg

100_0401.jpg.fc2b052ae8ab3135de7c05955081ade7.jpg

Do check out the Alaska Ports board. September is a bit problematic as the summer is pretty much over. All the wild flowers are now gone. Berries are ripe though and yummy to snack on.

Fishing is about over except for Silvers. Those are about the best eating of all the salmon though and quite a fight.

The store owners are gearing up to leave for the winter and you may find some great bargains at the stores.

Such an amazing place Alaska.

Archived