Need some locals or veterans advice for NOLA

terrymo

We are currenty booked on a cruise out of New Orleans for April 11-15 on the Triumph. We are going to be there on the 9th as none of us have been to New Orleans which was the reason we booked so we could sail down the Mississippi. When I booked I did not know is was the "French Quarter Festival" could some of you recomend a area to stay at that is nice, safe, and not a bad drive to the French Quarters. It will be my wife and I and 3 kids ages 13,17, and 22. Everything is booked and the cheap hotels are outrages would rather spend my money on eating,drinking and visiting the city than to give it to a motel. I was thinking about New Orleans Marriott Metairie at Lakeway?

Also a few place I was thinking about eating. If you ate there could you tell me if was good and how expensive it was.

Dragos

Gumbo Shop

Mothers

Thanks in advance

You might as well book it if there are no cancellation fees and maybe something will open up in the French Quarter.

Parking will be difficult in the French Quarter. Are you going to be driving?

As for Drago's, the original is in Metairie not far from that hotel.

Drago’s Seafood Restaurant (Fat City, Metairie)

3232 N. Arnoult Road, Metairie, LA 70002

Phone: (504) 888-9254

http://dragosrestaurant.com/

I like Drago's, Gumbo Shop and Mother's, although I think Mother's prices are high and I won't stop there if the line is out the door.

There actually are a number of restaurants in Metairie and out by the lake that most tourists never get to.

• 2 weeks later...

The charbroiled oysters at Drago's are incredible' they are VERY rich (take your cholesterol meds...). Nice atmosphere, a bit more upscale. The Gumbo Shop is wonderful. It is not uncommon for the line at Mother's to be out the door. It is NOT fancy; sort of a serving line/dive but the food is good! It's more of a place for lunch. Menus for Drago's and Gumbo Shop are available online. New Orleans is an awesome city; not like anyplace else. There are so many things to see and do, just in the Quarter alone. Wear comfortable walking shoes in lieu of style, and look at everything. Peek into courtyards...what looks like a nothing building from the outside will have the most amazing brick courtyard! There are a million touristy t-shirt/crap shops, right next door to high end art galleries, which are right ,next door to bars that are dives...which are right next door to very expensive apartments!

The cruise down the river takes about 7 hours. The ship does a turn-around right at the bridge, neat to see. Enjoy your time in N.O. and your cruise. We did the Triumph last summer and are doing it again this summer!

Hi Terry -

We are heading out on the same cruise. I have been given the advice of staying at the Drury. They offer $35 parking while you are on the ship. There are some great places to eat in NOLA. If you just walk down Decatur Street it is hard to go wrong. There is the Cresent City Brew and Giovanis(think tht was the name. its on a corner on the left hand side heading from Canal and it is painted a light salmon inside) that we had a great experience both times. There is also the Central Grocery which is known to have the best Muffelettas (they dont have seating, though you can take them right down the street to the park). There is also cafe Du Monde for beignets. Can you tell I love this city :) Also for a treat try Southern Candy Companies Pralines. They are like no other. There are 2 shops on Decatur.

Hope this helps.

Jana

• 3 weeks later...

Archived