Cunard v. Holland for a toddler?

rin1

My friend will be taking a cruise with her 18 month old and extended family this fall and is trying to figure out which line she would prefer (her mom is paying and will ultimately be doing the choosing). Due to Cunard's recent changes, her DD will not be allowed in the children's programs, so I think it's a dead heat between the two. They are both fairly similar, port-intensive itineraries. Thoughts?

Well, I have been on HAL when my DD was an infant but never Cunard. Frankly neither line seems to cater to children so my guess is they would be about equal. Fortunately at that age, they don't require much to keep them entertained. However, if they are looking for a real kid friendly experience they will probably go to RCL or Disney.

I think they'd choose a more kid-friendly line on their own, but my friend's mom is footing the bill. Just from my reading, they seem about equal to me, too, at least in the toddler-friendliness department.

We have cruised on HAL a bunch with our kids(4yr old and 9mo old). For me the main consideration with an 18 month old would be the size of cabin you can get on each line. The SS/SY cabins on HAL work really well for us as they are bigger than a standard balcony rooms, but half the price of a full suite. Gives enough space to leave the pack n' play set-up all the time without having to climb over and around the thing all week. Also the closets are big enough to store car seats / strollers, etc.

HAL doesn't have a kids program for that age, but they do have in-cabin babysitting through the front desk for a fee. It was $8 an hour on the Westerdam cruise we just got back from. You have to give them 24 hours notice to provide this service.

We have found the staff on HAL to be great with small kids. We always have stewards and waiters interacting with the kids and telling us about their children back home.

One thing to keep in mind (at least on HAL) is no children are allowed in the pools if they are not completely potty trained and out of diapers. I have read on these boards where people bring blow up pools and there is a certain area you can put them on the ship and they will fill them with water for you for the little ones to play in.

No kids club for kids under 3 either. Just babysitting services (and this depends on staffing on ship if they have people available the nights you want) for an additional fee.

Have fun!

I believe Cunard and Holland would be even on the "no pool" score. Only some RCI ships and Disney have pools for the non-potty trained, to my knowledge. I think I might point them towards Cunard because there will still be programs for under 2s until 2012.

• 2 weeks later...

We did a transatlantic on the QM2 when DS was 23 months old. We had a great time! At that time DS could go to the nursery (this was in 2007, so I don't know what the recent changes are), which he loved. But he only spent about an hour in there each day, and then went there during dinner so we could eat in peace. :)

DS had fun just exploring the ship. Since it was April and not during spring break time, there was no one by the pools or out sunning or even using most of the on deck amenities, so we took DS to the basketball court to play, and he had fun "playing" shuffleboard. He also got to squirt the water cannon type things by the pool and we found a little play structure on one deck as well.

I found the staff on Cunard were great with my DS. It seemed like everyone in the shops and dining room knew his name and said hello and played with him.

• 3 weeks later...

There is nothing that a toddler can do on any of the lines really. Royal Caribbean and Disney have splash areas for toddlers but no cruise lines allow kids or adults in diapers in the main pool or hot tubs and you will get dirty looks by all the passengers if you break the rules.

QM2 is huge but the things I enjoyed most about her are the outdoor and indoor pools and hot tubs- none of which will be available to your toddler. QM2 is formal and children are not well-received in the diningroom. There is great casual dining though in the buffet.

Holland Ships are smaller but I think that the ships are easier for a parent with young children. Not as many flights of stairs outside. Pool area is self contained and would be easier to manage.

No youth programs have much to offer toddlers.

I guess an update is in order - due to timing with other family members who are going they will be traveling with a 14 mo on RCI, instead of the other two lines. Thanks for all the help, though!

Archived