Snorkeling REQUIRED on Carnival Goff's Caye excursion?

hfitzger

Just curious for those of you who have been on Carnival's Goff's Caye excursion-- is snorkeling required for the trip?

I have an 8 year old son who would not be able/interested to snorkel, but would have the time of his life just playing on the beach and wading in the water. I've read where you can have the option of snorkeling off the boat, or from the beach, and then beach time afterward.

I didn't know if you could just choose to stay on the beach and do your own thing instead of taking the guided snorkel tour... I'd like to make it into more of a beach break-type excursion and have part of the family snorkel while the others in the family can just hang out on the beach without taking part in the organized snorkel tour.

Thanks for any clarification to this tour!

• 2 weeks later...

Loved Goff Caye!!!! The boat leaves directly from the ship so you don't get mixed up in the tender hysteria. We went last year with close friends. One of them had shoulder surgery which ment he couldn't pull himself up the ladder back onto the boat. On the way out, the crew explained that you would have the option of getting dropped onto the caye (tiny island) first. If you wanted to snorkel from the boat, all you had to do was stay aboard. There is a dock, so getting off was quite simple. Our friends snorkeled from the beach and we snorkeled from the boat. The visibility is incredible and we had a huge spotted ray come up from the bottom to join us. Someone feeding him perhaps? We had plenty of time to swim afterwards. The beach has powder white sand and a gentle drop off. There were shells and bits of coral on the palmed side of the island. The restrooms were not great As there is no plumbing. There was a guy that was cooking lobster on a kettlr grille. I don't remember the availability of other refreshments as we tend to stay in the water until the very last second. Go. Have a blast. There is something for everyone! We are going again in June:D

We used Ecological Tours (http://www.ecotoursbelize.com/index.html) for our Goff's Caye tour. You do not have to snorkel off of the boat. They dock at Goff's, then give you a few minutes to use the facilities and then take the off-of-the-boat snorkelers back out. Everyone else can stay at the beach.

They will keep track of time for you and yell at you when it's time to go back. There is a nice shallow area for kids to play. My DD is three and required little supervision. There were no waves to carry her out in the little cove we played in.

Just be sure to take water shoes, as the sand in the water is crunchy from broken coral. We did find some beer bottle glass as well.

-pitterpattershoppe

They do have flushing toilets now, but no water to wash your hands. Bring some hand sanitizer. Then again, you'll be swimming around in ocean water, so...

-pitterpattershoppe

Loved Goff Caye!!!! The boat leaves directly from the ship so you don't get mixed up in the tender hysteria. We went last year with close friends. One of them had shoulder surgery which ment he couldn't pull himself up the ladder back onto the boat. On the way out, the crew explained that you would have the option of getting dropped onto the caye (tiny island) first. If you wanted to snorkel from the boat, all you had to do was stay aboard. There is a dock, so getting off was quite simple. Our friends snorkeled from the beach and we snorkeled from the boat. The visibility is incredible and we had a huge spotted ray come up from the bottom to join us. Someone feeding him perhaps? We had plenty of time to swim afterwards. The beach has powder white sand and a gentle drop off. There were shells and bits of coral on the palmed side of the island. The restrooms were not great As there is no plumbing. There was a guy that was cooking lobster on a kettlr grille. I don't remember the availability of other refreshments as we tend to stay in the water until the very last second. Go. Have a blast. There is something for everyone! We are going again in June:D

Archived