Flip flops in MDR

carebear1008

Can I wear flip flops with my casual sun dresses in the MDR?

I did on my first cruise last year. It was NOT on a formal night. I thought it would be fine since the night before I saw a man in jean shorts and a Miller Lite t-shirt in the main dining room. I think my dressy sundress and flip flops were very appropriate. There were alot of other ladies dressed in sundresses and flip flops also.

I wore my leather flip flops on non-formal nights. But I believe it technically says NO flip flops in the dining room. But I figured they were FAR LESS offensive than some of the other items of clothing I saw on the Miracle last week. WOW is all I'm gonna say about that.

Go and wear your flip flops. Don't worry about offending others, since I personally believe they aren't offensive. They are hiding under a table clothed table.

Have a terrific cruise!

Beach / pool flip flops in the MDR? Tacky, IMO.

Dressy sandals? Acceptable.

My 2 cents: depends on your definition of a flip-flop.

The $2.99 from Wal-Mart, no.

Nice ones (I just found a nice pair online for $400.00), sure.

Regardless of what the fashion police say. There are bad sandals just as much as there are bad flip-flops.

To be quite honest, we really don't pay attention and don't keep a scorecard :).

Do what you think is right.

I wore them the last night in the dinning room. I didn't mean to but they are like a second skin to me during the Spring & Summer and I just walked right out of the room and didn't realize until we were almost to the MDR. If I had went back to my room, we would have been late & we didn't want to hold up dinner. Nobody even batted an eye...that I know of. ;)

My 2 cents: depends on your definition of a flip-flop.

The $2.99 from Wal-Mart, no.

Nice ones (I just found a nice pair online for $400.00), sure.

Regardless of what the fashion police say. There are bad sandals just as much as there are bad flip-flops.

To be quite honest, we really don't pay attention and don't keep a scorecard :).

Do what you think is right.

She asked for an opinion, I gave mine. I am well aware of the differences between flip flops and sandals, are you? Most people know flip flops as the thin, beach wear thong flip flops. I'm sure the $400 "flip flops" aren't even technically flip flops, they are probably dressed up sandals.

My question is why would you want to? Do you wear flipflops to a sit-down dining room restaurant? Sandals are nearly as inexpensive! :eek:

I live in Florida on the water... almost every restaurant around here is a yes to that. Just saying.. very open ended question and based on where you live. With that also said, I am a shoe *wh@r#* and have a ton to choose from. So yes, I dress up often. However, my boyfriend normally wears Tommy Bahama shorts, button downs and leather flip flops at local restaurants (not all places but most) and he also wore outfits like that last yr on the Sensation and he fit in perfectly and looked better than most.

Only if you want to find yourself on the floor. Marble + flip flops designed for the beach = twisted ankles.

I think I have a bigger chance of slipping and falling in a pair of dressy heels than my Old Navy flip flops. I wore flip flops my entire cruise last year. The only time I slid and almost fell was on formal night in my black heels (which I wear all the time for work) It was much easier in flip flops. Like someone posted they become second skin. I don't understand why everyone gets so worked up about about what shoes others are wearing. It's kinda funny.

Only if you want to find yourself on the floor. Marble + flip flops designed for the beach = twisted ankles.

Ummm a little much over the top?

Try dressy heels on formal night with no friction, walking up stairs on marble. That seems more realistic.

OP: Nice sundress and sandals flip flops are fine on non elegant nights. As long as it isn't trashy, it will look fine.

And by trashy: flip flops that are busted, ripped, Budweiser logos, you get my drift.

I think I have a bigger chance of slipping and falling in a pair of dressy heels than my Old Navy flip flops. I wore flip flops my entire cruise last year. The only time I slid and almost fell was on formal night in my black heels (which I wear all the time for work) It was much easier in flip flops. Like someone posted they become second skin. I don't understand why everyone gets so worked up about about what shoes others are wearing. It's kinda funny.

Try dressy heels on formal night with no friction, walking up stairs on marble. That seems more realistic.

OP: Nice sundress and sandals flip flops are fine on non elegant nights. As long as it isn't trashy, it will look fine.

And by trashy: flip flops that are busted, ripped, Budweiser logos, you get my drift.

Hardly. I have seen many go down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv-my-kids viewpost.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clearwater viewpost.gif

Hardly. I have seen many go down.

I am 38 years old and have never fell in a pair of flip flops, a few years ago I broke my ankle. I was wearing a pair of heels.My boss at work fell and broke several bones in her foot. She was wearing a pair of heels. Her doctor told her he sees more foot injuries when women wear heels than sport related foot injuries. My boss now wears flip flop to the office. You can really dress up a pair of flip flops if you try. Just because you are in a pair of so called appropriate heels doesn't mean you are dressed appropriate for dinner. This lady on our last cruise the table behind us was wearing a sleeveless dress with boobs hanging out EVERYWHERE...that was 3 times too small with a pair of 3 inch heels and when she raised her arm up to put it on her husbands back she had an armpit full of hair! She was nasty! But she was wearing so called appropriate shoes to the main dining room. I think I was much better dressed in my cute little sundress and Old Navy flip flops. I am sure anyone in there would prefer to have me as a table mate (even though I was in flip flops)than the lady in appropriate main dining room shoes with an armpit full of hair that everyone around had to see! My point is you can make anything inappropriate or appropriate. Like someone else posted there are trash flip flops and nice flip flops. Use your own judgment.

i wore mine on my last 2 cruises i didnt even know it was suggested you shouldnt, and i dont mean my nike or reef ones i mean my gap leather ones. I think i slipped and probably wore my nike a couple nights sometimes i dont realize whats on my feet til i get there, NO one will care wear what you wear and you will look fine, if i found old navy flips to be comfortable i would rock a pair to the MDR with a sundress. They would however be a new pair, not a pair i wore to the beach, or look dirty.

Flip-Flops are not allowed in the MDR:

top.gifWhat to wear?

Most evenings we have a Cruise Casual dress code, but there are those Cruise Elegant evenings one or two nights throughout your “Fun Ship” voyage, where you will have the opportunity to showcase your more elegant attire. For those who want casual attire for dinner time, the Lido Restaurant is open nightly, and has a more relaxed theme. However, shirts and shoes/footwear (flip-flops) must be worn at all times inside the Lido Restaurant.

Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Why is it so difficult to dress nicely?

Would you wear flip flops at a nice Restaurant in a nice Hotel.

At Orlando, yes. 99.9999% people do.

At all nice hotels on the beach around me = yes 99.9999% people do.

In the Caribbean, yes. 99.9999% do.

Like I said... I live on the water and there are a million tourists who visit my hometown each yr. They all wear sandals and flip flops.

If someone was dressed trashy, gross, etc... I would not like it.

But the OP asked about a nice sundress and flip flops. She didn't say Elegant night. She didn't say she wanted to wear her bathing suit and flip flops in there.

I have a ton of super cute and yes, dressy sandals and flip flops. Paired with a nice outfit, sundress, dressy capris, etc they do like nice.

However, if I rolled in wearing something trashy, that would stand out.

Archived