First Cruise on Conquest

Safeteeguy

I've been reading and hearing of so many things about cruises lately that my head is swimming... Our first cruise will be on the Conquest in June and we can hardly wait! We have two questions reguarding family activities and what to carry on-shore.

We're looking forward to the on-shore excersions: stingrays, snorkling, shopping, and hanging out at the beaches. There's a wide variety of things to do on-shore, but since we're taking our three year old and 17 year old, the activities for them on-board seem somewhat more limited. Does anyone have advice for things to do for the kids?

When we go on-shore, I envision carrying tons of stuff. Swimsuites, towels, beach toys, dry clothes, extra shoes, wads of cash for shopping, birth certificates, etc., etc. Tell me I'm wrong!

Thanks in advance,

Mike, welcome aboard. First, I would sign up on your "roll call" board and meet others who will probably have kids similar to yours in age. You can make up to meet them and chat prior to leaving. I have done this for our 3/27 cruise. From what I've heard the Camp Carnival programs are a lot of fun for kids young and old. We will be traveling with a large group and our kids 11-15 will just be playing and having fun while on board. They certainly will not be bored. There is so much to do. Personally, I would not bring your birth certificates on shore. You do not need them. All you need is your sail and sign cards issued by the ship. They will have your photo id on them. Do a lot of research on where you want to go and you should be able to narrow down your items.

Pop over to this thread and see who else is sialing on your date - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=87005&page=8&pp=25. Go to the last page to avoid having to read everything. There you will find 2 lists of cruises and their Roll Calls (RC). This will help you find those sailing with you quicker then the search feature. I will be updating it this afternoon - as I update every Sunday. So pop over and add yourself to the list and find your roll call. You amy also want to check out my homepage - there is a lot of information on the Conquest. I have sailed her before and will again in July.

The 3 year old will love Camp Carnival. The 17 year old will find lots of people their age to hang out with. They have their own dica and there is a nice game room. I'm not sure if we are talking male or female here - and it really doesn't matter - but they do have basketball onboard and volleyball. They will both have a great tiem - just different experiences.

Lock your birth certificates in the safe once onboard - as another poster said - you won't need them once on board. Get a wrist wallet or fanny pak for the small items you take ashore. Get a pre-paid VISA gift card instead of carry a bunch of cash (www.simon.com has some great ones). Worry more about the 3 year old - the 17 yo will be able to take care of theirself - as far as carrying. Backpacks are wonderful for carrying - and try some of the beach clubs (like Sunset in Montego Bay) that provide towels, snorkel gear and such - so you don't have to take them off. Personally I wouldn't let the 17 yo venture on their own off the ship - even with a group. On the ship - no problem - as long as you can trust them not to rain on anyone elses vacation parade.

Hope this helps - and welcome to the boards.

After you pack, turn around a take 75% of the stuff out! You won't need it. You won't use it. We told all the others that went with us on our last trip. They did not listen. Now they say "We did not use any of that stuff"

Do a search on the minimum that you need to take.

I would definitely let the 3 year old go to camp carnival one night. The 17 year old will probably have found plenty of friends to dine with one night at the buffet and you and the hubby should try The Point supper club. It's awesome. It's a 5-Star restaurant and costs about $25 a person. But it will give you a nice, romantic break from the kids. The food and service are both incredible. This is one not to be missed on the Conquest. My husband and I went twice on our Conquest cruise in August of 2003. Enjoy it if you choose to do this.

Archived