Non excursion things to do?

Scottifer

My wife and I will be stopping there on our cruise in November, we aren't going to be doing any excursions but we want to get off the ship and stretch our legs for a little bit.

Once we get to the dock from the transport boat is there stuff to do at the pier or a little walk into the city?

We'd love to sample some Belizeian food if there is any around.

any advice would be appreciated

There is the cookie-cutter secure pier area, and a nice flea market right outside the gates across the street. A few kids may try to hustle you to buy junk from them right outside the doors, but when I was there it was nowhere near as "scary" as some posters have let on. Just a few kids trying to make a buck.

Unless you have skin color issues, it's no better/worse than walking in/out of any major train station in the U.S.

Belize only has their "tourism village", which is gated. There are the typical shops you see in most ports. They all seem to sell the same things. There is one restaurant, Wet Lizard. Belize is the one port in the Caribean that I would either go on an excursion or stay on the ship. There really isn't anything to do at tourism village and it definitely doesn't have that "Caribean" feel to it. Also, at certain times of the day, it is very crowded as people line up for the tenders, make long lines and kind of blocking the way, especially if there are several ships in port. In my opinion, it would be a nicer day to stay on the ship and take advantage of the far less crowds onboard.

My wife and I were just in Belize a couple of weeks ago. We didn't do any excursions. We walked around the secure pier shops. There are several companies right inside this area trying to sell excursions. Most of the shops are the same old stuff at every port (jewelry, t-shirts, etc.). We walked outside the gates of the terminals and were immediately besieged with people wanting us to take a carriage ride or a taxi or braid our hair or sell us some trinkets. The people were not pushy, it startled us at first by the sheer number of people asking but when we said no, they didn't hound us...but there are a lot of people to say no to. There are a lot of small makeshift "shops" right outside the terminal, but we really didn't see anything that we wanted to look at. We did end up hiring a taxi to drive us around. There is not a lot to see in the town itself. I told the driver that we really wanted to see the "true" Belize City. He took us into some areas that are extremely poverty stricken.

Use your best judgement. I wouldn't venture too far from the terminal on foot...not necessarily because of safety, but because of the lack of things close by to see.

Thanks everyone for your help. I might just get off ship to say that I've been to Belize but sounds like it will be a good day to spend on the ship by the pool drinking.

Does it cost anything to take the tender to get from the ship to port?

Thanks everyone for your help. I might just get off ship to say that I've been to Belize but sounds like it will be a good day to spend on the ship by the pool drinking.

Does it cost anything to take the tender to get from the ship to port?

No, it is free.

We aren't doing an excursion. We are going to "old Belize". Google it. It's a local manmade beach with a museum, restaurant, and a few fun things for kids. We are going to sit on the beach and have some drinks and lunch. This is a "locals" place. Just grab a cab to go.

Archived