Dubrovnik Cable Car and Hike Down Srd Hill

Has anyone rode the Dubrovnik Cable Car up and walked down Srd Hill? How much time do I need to plan to return to the Old City of Dubrovnik? Does the trail return near the Old City of Dubrovnik? Thanks!

Not even close to the newer part of town. You must follow the foot path down the mountain, NEVER stray off it. Then you will cross our magistral highway and then another small hillside, which is a goat path down. It will take some time to get back to the old town and of course depends on the weather. Almost forgot, after the goat path you will have over 200 steps more, up to you.

Not even close to the newer part of town. You must follow the foot path down the mountain, NEVER stray off it. Then you will cross our magistral highway and then another small hillside, which is a goat path down. It will take some time to get back to the old town and of course depends on the weather. Almost forgot, after the goat path you will have over 200 steps more, up to you.

Thank you for the information. I guess I will ride the cable car round trip.

We're going to Dubrovnik on our fall cruise so I've been researching all over the internet. This might interest you. Pretty neat.

http://www.dubrovnikcablecar.com/?dubrovnik_excursion=contact

It's a good informational website for the cable car. I do however strongly disagree with the directions, especially for those who cannot walk many steps. If you do use the Buza gate, which is the 3 entrance into town but well hidden, you will CLIMB MANY STEPS before you reach the fire station. There is a much easier way with only a few steps and one does not have to walk on the the road on which cars are traveling.

Prices went up from last year and please understand no credit cards or Euros, only Croatian Kuna.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

It's a good informational website for the cable car. I do however strongly disagree with the directions, especially for those who cannot walk many steps. If you do use the Buza gate, which is the 3 entrance into town but well hidden, you will CLIMB MANY STEPS before you reach the fire station. There is a much easier way with only a few steps and one does not have to walk on the the road on which cars are traveling.

Prices went up from last year and please understand no credit cards or Euros, only Croatian Kuna.

Dubrovniktravelady, will you tell us then what the easier way is? What streets to we use to reach the fire station?

If the weather permits, my husband and I are going to walk down the hill. When we were in Ravello, Italy, we took the bus up to the town from Amalfi and walked the narrow paths down the mountain. It took us about 45 minutes or so but the views were wonderful. I read on the TripAdvisor website that it takes around 1/2 hour to hike down the hill in Dubrovnik and that a one-way ticket on the cable car costs 60% of the full fare.

Dubrovniktravelady, will you tell us then what the easier way is? What streets to we use to reach the fire station?

If the weather permits, my husband and I are going to walk down the hill. When we were in Ravello, Italy, we took the bus up to the town from Amalfi and walked the narrow paths down the mountain. It took us about 45 minutes or so but the views were wonderful. I read on the TripAdvisor website that it takes around 1/2 hour to hike down the hill in Dubrovnik and that a one-way ticket on the cable car costs 60% of the full fare.

Please read the post above about hiking down Srd. Once you reach the highway and cross it with all the traffic, you still need to find the old town which will take much more time than 1/2 hour. Do not be mislead by anyone who claims it's easy, it's not! Do you clearly understand why you cannot step one inch off the trail? I will post the directions on the easier way, but not tonight.

All shuttle buses arrive at the Pile (pil-lay) entrance into the old town, as well as the local buses. Follow the crowds over the small drawbridge, down the steps and through the arch and you are inside the city wall and the old town. The main promenade is called the Stradun and runs from west to east and you need to walk to the eastern entrance which we call Ploce (plo-cha). Through the arch and follow the road slightly uphill until you arrive at the Ploce gate, over the small drawbridge and your are now outside the city wall. There is a one way street and if you see a small cafe on the corner called Laura you are in the right place. Turn left on the sidewalk and you will be on the outside of the city wall with a small uphill walk. Just a short walk until you see a bus stop next to a parking lot, cross the road to the area between the last building and parking lot. There is a zebra painting crossing on the road at that point. Walk next to the building towards the mountain, as you reach some trees there will be some pizza type restaurants in front of you. Take the steps up, don't eat there, and follow the steps up and you will reach the entrance to the cable car.

Again I stress that last year they did not accept any credit cards nor Euros, only Croatian Kuna. Entrance fee this year is 80 Croatian Kuna. Enjoy the view, it is spectacular.

All shuttle buses arrive at the Pile (pil-lay) entrance into the old town, as well as the local buses. Follow the crowds over the small drawbridge, down the steps and through the arch and you are inside the city wall and the old town. The main promenade is called the Stradun and runs from west to east and you need to walk to the eastern entrance which we call Ploce (plo-cha). Through the arch and follow the road slightly uphill until you arrive at the Ploce gate, over the small drawbridge and your are now outside the city wall. There is a one way street and if you see a small cafe on the corner called Laura you are in the right place. Turn left on the sidewalk and you will be on the outside of the city wall with a small uphill walk. Just a short walk until you see a bus stop next to a parking lot, cross the road to the area between the last building and parking lot. There is a zebra painting crossing on the road at that point. Walk next to the building towards the mountain, as you reach some trees there will be some pizza type restaurants in front of you. Take the steps up, don't eat there, and follow the steps up and you will reach the entrance to the cable car.

Again I stress that last year they did not accept any credit cards nor Euros, only Croatian Kuna. Entrance fee this year is 80 Croatian Kuna. Enjoy the view, it is spectacular.

Thank you so much. You are very helpful and I can't wait to see your beautiful city!

I looked up the conversation rate and 80 Kuna is about $15. Not a bad price for the fantastic views.

• 2 weeks later...
The government has cleared all the mine fields from the war. However we all ask the same questions, did they miss one?

It is good of you to be concerned about our safety. I thank you for it. If we hike down the mountain, I am going to be mindful of your words of advice.

It is good of you to be concerned about our safety. I thank you for it. If we hike down the mountain, I am going to be mindful of your words of advice.

The hike down the mountain is not difficult, but the time it will take for you to find your way down into the old town is totally time consuming.

Once you've crossed the main highway, then you need to locate the main drag to find the small steps down to the next main drag, to find the 176 steps down to the old town.

The entire trip will take hours....

• 10 months later...
The hike down the mountain is not difficult, but the time it will take for you to find your way down into the old town is totally time consuming.

Once you've crossed the main highway, then you need to locate the main drag to find the small steps down to the next main drag, to find the 176 steps down to the old town.

The entire trip will take hours....

I'm reviving this old thread because I'm trying to learn more about how to ride the cable car in Dubrovnik. Your last sentence caught my attention. I'd like to use our very limited time to the best advantage. I've tried to visualize your directions but I'm not clear on where the boat docks and how to get from there to town. You mentioned shuttle buses. Are there shuttle buses at the pier? Then I gather that from the shuttle we walk to the cable car according to your directions on this thread. Then, we hike back down? Or can we ride the cable car back to where we began?

Is there a faster way to enjoy the cable car without devoting a great deal of time to getting there and then hiking back? I'd like to have some time left over to enjoy some of the other things the city has to offer.

Sorry if I'm being dense. I know you've probably explained this many times. I was beginning to browse through another thread of info on Dubrovnik trying to figure out the cable car situation, but there hundreds of posts. I admit I haven't sorted through all 900+ of them.

Thank you for your help.

Becky

I'm reviving this old thread because I'm trying to learn more about how to ride the cable car in Dubrovnik. Your last sentence caught my attention. I'd like to use our very limited time to the best advantage. I've tried to visualize your directions but I'm not clear on where the boat docks and how to get from there to town. You mentioned shuttle buses. Are there shuttle buses at the pier? Then I gather that from the shuttle we walk to the cable car according to your directions on this thread. Then, we hike back down? Or can we ride the cable car back to where we began?

Is there a faster way to enjoy the cable car without devoting a great deal of time to getting there and then hiking back? I'd like to have some time left over to enjoy some of the other things the city has to offer.

Sorry if I'm being dense. I know you've probably explained this many times. I was beginning to browse through another thread of info on Dubrovnik trying to figure out the cable car situation, but there hundreds of posts. I admit I haven't sorted through all 900+ of them.

Thank you for your help.

Becky

Carnival Breeze will be docked at our Gruz harbor, which means you will either need to take the ship shuttle service or private taxi to the old town. You need to contact Carnival and inquire if they provide transfers and the cost. The alternative is to take a private taxi to the entrance to the cable car, cost will be a bit more than the normal drop which is 75 Kuna or 10 Euros.

You can take the cable car round trip, it does not make sense to spend an few extra hours trying to hike down and finding your way to the old town again. Cost this past season was 80 Kuna for the round trip, it is possible they may increase the charge for this year.

Enjoy your time in Dubrovnik

Carnival Breeze will be docked at our Gruz harbor, which means you will either need to take the ship shuttle service or private taxi to the old town. You need to contact Carnival and inquire if they provide transfers and the cost. The alternative is to take a private taxi to the entrance to the cable car, cost will be a bit more than the normal drop which is 75 Kuna or 10 Euros.

You can take the cable car round trip, it does not make sense to spend an few extra hours trying to hike down and finding your way to the old town again. Cost this past season was 80 Kuna for the round trip, it is possible they may increase the charge for this year.

Enjoy your time in Dubrovnik

Thanks very much for the additional info. I was reading about Kormada restaurant on another thread and I believe you also mentioned it on your blog: we might be interested in eating there, plus we want to have time to explore the old town. We are going to try to see as much as we can in our one day there.

Becky

When looking at the cable car website they state that they take credit cards - Is the info incorrect? Thank you

Yes the cable car does accept credit cards as does the city wall, but the wall does not accept American Express for payment. Also the wall will not accept any foreign currency, so it is Kuna or credit card. Use your card, you will get the best exchange rate.

• 4 months later...
Thank you so much! I will use this info for my upcoming cruise. I can't wait to see Dubrovnik.

Remember folks, entrance fees have changed from last year to this season. City wall now accepts American Express, Cable car is 87 Kuna per person. And Rectors Palace, Rupe Museum, Maritime Museum and some other one is part of a 50 sites, one price of 70 Kuna. Do your research carefully.

Also note, there are many people who do walk down from the top of Srd. That being said, it is normally those who are spending several days here. It is a lovely hike, but time consuming.

• 1 year later...

I have read Dubroviklady's very helpful information on this subject and have a few additional questions.

My husband and I will be on the Seabourn Spirit which will make a port call (tendering) in Dubrovnik on June 22 ( a Sunday) from 10AM to 8PM. We are quite fit hikers ( we have hiked all over Switzerland, Norway, part of the Camino in Spain, etc) and very much want to hike up and down Mt. Srd. You gave some good advice on where to pick up the trail two years ago and I just want to make sure that information is up to date. I fully appreciate the comment about staying on the trail( don't want to land back on the ship in pieces) -- is the trail easy to follow or is it fairly easy to get off the trail? We thought it would be fun to pack a picnic lunch in our backpack and have lunch at the top before we hike back down. Are there places we will pass by on our way to pick up the trail that sell provisions for a picnic ( i.e.. cheese, bread, fruit) and will such places be open on Sunday?

I can't help with all your questions but just wanted to pipe in as someone who enjoyed this hike and would encourage others who like to hike to try it. I get very tired of those who say it takes too much time. For those of us who enjoy something more physical in port than shopping and looking at old buildings (if only to justify another crème brule at dinner) it is not a waste of time but pleasant diversion.

The trail was hard to find and I can't recall where I found the best directions - maybe trip advisor? Once on it, you cannot easily stray - it is in most places wide enough for a four wheeler. The trial has a consistent uphill grade for most of its length. I can't recall how long it took us to go up and down but even with the hike we managed to see a lot of the old town afterwards, including walking the walls, during our one day stop.

In the interest of full disclosure, there were a few issues with this hike. While the views are spectacular along the way, this is because you are on a treeless hillside with absolutely no shade and no shelter if it rains. If it is hot you will need to carry plenty of water and there were no good spots for a picnic along the way, although there would probably be someplace to enjoy a lunch on top. The path itself is a series of switchbacks and the trail surface is dirt and cobbles so a hazard if you are prone to twisting ankles. There was more litter than I am used to but maybe it was off season and not well tended.

We are in mid-fifties and in reasonable shape and did not have any trouble managing this hike.

Edited by badtwin