Our experience on the Epic (2-29-11)

We sailed the Epic during the very busy President's Week. DH and myself and two of our kids, 25 and 12. This was our fifth cruise on NCL. Our son booked himself a Studio cabin which he liked very much and the rest of us had a deluxe family balcony. Lots of people have written exhaustive reviews so I am going to hit just the high and low points.

Highs: We liked our cabins better than any we have had on other ships. The bed was comfirtable and for three people the tub-toilet-sink arrangement worked out really well. There is so much storage that we had lots of empty cabinets- a first. Our cabin steward was excellent. He kept everything spotless and worked around our schedule.

The food was the best we have had on NCL. We ate in The Manhattan Room four nights and loved listening to the band during dinner. We also enjoyed Le Bistro and the mussels I had there were fabulous. We also liked O'Sheehans a lot. The food was quick and tasty when we ate there (most lunches and one dinner.) Shanghai's was the exception- slow service and so-so food, although our son loved the curry. The breakfast buffet was ok- no variety but well-cooked. The one overall negative I would say about the food was that the fish was overcooked almost every time we ate.

The entertainment was the best we have had on any cruise. We loved the Slam Allen Blues Band in Fat Cats; Second City; and the Blue Man Group.

Lows: The ship is NOISY. One night we decided to eat dinner at O'Sheehans and watch a college basketball game, which was in the Freestyle Daily. The tvs were showing the game, but with no volume. The noise from the Atrium; the bowling; the air hockey table; the pool tables; and the arcade games drove us back to our cabin. Another time we sat on the pool deck and got the noise from the band as well as a couple of other musical sources.

We had two good shore excursions through the ship (Maya Key in Roatan and Kahunlich Mayan Ruins in Costa Maya) and one terrible one- Deep Sea Fishing in Costa Maya. I paid $129 each for my husband and daughter to go on that excursion, and no one on the boat were allowed to touch the fishing poles. No fishing at all was done! Additionally the skipper ran both hull and motor over the coral and fouled the propellor with a buoy line. My husband said the only time the crew showed any interest in them was when it was time for tipping (which, needless to say, did not happen.) We complained to the shore excursion desk and they gave us a credit of $50 per person but I am not really happy with that.

I did not like the Cruise Director at all (Paul Scally). I found him obnoxious and not at all funny.

In conclusion, we had a fun cruise and saw many families enjoying themselves. I wouldn't book the Epic again because we prefer smaller ships (especially the Dawn) but we certainly got our money's worth and as always, I am an NCL fan.

Barb

Thanks for your review. I am glad you had a good time in spite of a few issues. I also have been on the EPIC and had a great time, but I am interested in sailing on the Dawn since I keep hearing good things about it (in spite of recent mechanical problems.)

Thanks for your review. I am glad you had a good time in spite of a few issues. I also have been on the EPIC and had a great time, but I am interested in sailing on the Dawn since I keep hearing good things about it (in spite of recent mechanical problems.)

We found the Dawn to have good food and staterooms and while the Epic is a more impressive ship, the Dawn seemed a little more personal. My daughter felt that she never saw the same kids on the Epic, for example.

I read lots of ship reviews but since no two people are the same I think I have to experience the ship myself to determine whether it's the right fit.

LOL its pretty funny to hear the Dawn described as a smaller ship! Those of us who traveled on NCL's smaller ships(the crown, the sea, the majesty etc) which were in the less than 50,000 ton range can get a big laugh at the Dawn at 92,000 being described as small, although we were in the dock in Manhattan on the Dawn when the QM2 was there and boy were we small....

LOL its pretty funny to hear the Dawn described as a smaller ship! Those of us who traveled on NCL's smaller ships(the crown, the sea, the majesty etc) which were in the less than 50,000 ton range can get a big laugh at the Dawn at 92,000 being described as small, although we were in the dock in Manhattan on the Dawn when the QM2 was there and boy were we small....

I guess it's all relative. The Epic seems much bigger than the Dawn to us. I didn't care for the Majesty but the Dream seemed a good size.

Have to agree about the deep sea fishing in Costa Maya. Complete waste of time and money. No fish and no fun. :(

When my son and I got back after our Kahunlich excursion I went into our cabin expecting my husband and daughter to be full of great fishing stories (they are both avid fishermen and my father-in-law was a commercial fishing boat captain) all I heard was "IT WAS TERRIBLE!!" DH said if his dad had been on the boat he would have thrown the skipper off for lack of seamanship.

Since coming back I've read about a private excursion with a flyfisherman called Nick and everyone seems to love it. Maybe next time.

Archived