? for those booking sailing excursions

I've been wondering and have to ask. In all seriousness, as much as I like to sail, I can't imagine being on a boat (cruise ship) for the better part of a week and voluntarily spending any free time on another boat, especially considering the prices of the sailing-type excursions versus other excursions available. I was just honestly curious about what motivates people to do this and thought I'd put this up and see what people's responses would be. :o

Well some people like the "party boat" type excursions where many get so drunk they don't even know where they're at! It's always great fun to watch those come back and see everyone stagger off. :D

On St. Maarten there's an excursion where you can participate (or just sit back and do nothing) in a race between ex-America's Cup sail boats. That's a LOT of fun, and how often do most people get a chance to experience something like that?

Some of us just love the sea and want to spend as much time as possible on it, on any type of vessel we can.

Personally, it is a totally different experience.

When I go onto a small boat, it is for the experience in the water....snorkeling or fishing, etc... It's how to experience the island from the water view point.

When I look back on the cruises we have done...in the Caribbean and Alaska...it is the excursions that took us out onto the water that bring back the most special memories. :p

Personally I think the difference is like night and day. The cruise is like a floating hotel. But if you do say a catamaran snorkling tour it is completely different. They are often fun while being very relaxing. The catamarans usually have neting on the front of the boat. You can lay up there and just relax as you sail out to your snorkling destination. You get the breeze in your hair (yes you can get that on the cruise) but you also can get splashed by the waves (you can't really do that easily on the cruise.)

You are right up there close to the water. It also allows you to snorkle right off the boat. Another item that can't be done from the cruise unless you plan on jumping ship icon12.gif

I have often had jumping fish along side our catamaran. Also these tours often give you a wonderful tour of the island by water - something else you don't really get on the cruise ship.

These are just my personal observations. Everyone likes to do their own thing. I find that these excursions have some adventure but are much more relaxing than the bus and beach tours that are offered. But this is just my personal opinion.

Archived