Coral from Whittier 8/2011

GrandmaJan7

Have a couple of questions for those who have been on the Alaskan cruises.

Our ship doesn't sail until 8:30 - what will the dinner set up be for that night? Regular dining rooms or just buffet? I have read on other ships that there is a seafood buffet the night of sailing.. is this possible on the Coral also?

Another question is about the Ultimate Balcony Dining... is it too cold

to do this in Alaska? We will be celebrating my 50th birthday and really think this would be something special.

Finally dress... I have read that these cruises are a bit more 'casual' than some of the warmer climates... with that said, my hubby is a really big guy. He will be bringing a suit for formal nite but in order for him to not wear jeans to the dining room we will have to go buy him clothes. He wears jeans and tennis shoes to work daily and doesn't even own a pair of dockers or casual shoes etc. For those who have" been there done that" what do you suggest? Do we really need to invest in new clothes for him?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dinner will depend on when you are boarding. When we boarded after our cruise tour at around 5PM the MDR was on normal schedule for anytime dining (not sure about Trad). The buffet was the normal buffet, no special seafood that I noticed.

Nice jeans will be fine in the MDR for casual nights. No tears, stains, etc.

As to the UBD, depends on when you are going and where your balcony is. In midsummer it might be chilly but OK. Rain would be the bigger issue for me.

Our ship doesn't sail until 8:30 - what will the dinner set up be for that night? Regular dining rooms or just buffet? I have read on other ships that there is a seafood buffet the night of sailing.. is this possible on the Coral also?

to do this in Alaska? We will be celebrating my 50th birthday and really think this would be something special.

Finally dress... I have read that these cruises are a bit more 'casual' than some of the warmer climates... with that said, my hubby is a really big guy. He will be bringing a suit for formal nite but in order for him to not wear jeans to the dining room we will have to go buy him clothes. He wears jeans and tennis shoes to work daily and doesn't even own a pair of dockers or casual shoes etc. For those who have" been there done that" what do you suggest? Do we really need to invest in new clothes for him?

Thanks!! We will be in a mini suite on the Caribe deck so hopefully we can do the UBD.

His jeans are all nice so that is a relief..should we invest in a pair of nicer shoes or are tennis shoes okay?

As for dining rooms...just wasn't sure with the muster drill and sailaway at 8:30 I didn't know what they would do.

On the night of embarkation the MDR are open but there is no fixed seating.

I probably wouldn't chance a UBD, it tends to be cool in the evenings and their is the high risk of rain.

Jeans are permitted in the MDR so long as they are not torn or frayed.

On the Coral, the Horizon Cafe is where the buffet is. It is forward on the ship with wall to wall windows on 3 sides. We had our dinner there at sail away time and the view was perfect! In our experience, it was too cold to have a meal on the balcony. We did sit out there for short periods, but wrapped in blankets with gloves and hats on. We went mid-July. Have a blast!

As I recall, the first dinner was Open Seating, regardless as to your request.

Formal night, a blazer, or sport jacket, both with a tie tie is enough these days.:)

john

Thanks!! We will be in a mini suite on the Caribe deck so hopefully we can do the UBD.

His jeans are all nice so that is a relief..should we invest in a pair of nicer shoes or are tennis shoes okay?

As for dining rooms...just wasn't sure with the muster drill and sailaway at 8:30 I didn't know what they would do.

Just about any pair of shoes will be OK but you do have to wear something on your feet. I've seen anything from sandals, crocks, dress shoes, sneakers - you name it.

Coral is a wonderful ship, enjoy.

Hope you did a covered balcony it does rain there. Don't think I would bring the UBD inside even with a mini it will be crowded. You might want to consider the Chefs Table or do Bayou Cafe and or Sabatini's. Also you might look at the Alaska board lots of knowledge there.

Archived