Confused about cruise cards with P&O

Jo and Rob

No pressure then :)

There will be few negatives in my review, little to grumble about and generally impressed with Azura.

We did witness what we consider to be an early contender for 'Complaint of the Year'. A man and his wife went to reception as the flag at the aft of Azura was wrapped around the pole. They demanded that this was corrected and when told that no-one was available they said there must be someone on the bridge with authority. We were on the aft deck as they told this story and had their camera ready to record a properly flying flag.

As they say, you couldn't make it up!

A bit off topic but my nomination for "Complaint of the Year" would be one I read recently in a Ventura reveiw. Namely the complaint was that the captain had "sailed the ship under a rain cloud." !!!!!!!- even though it was only a small one, apparently!!!

How fantastic is that?

On our cruises with other lines we have always had one card which did everything (getting into our room, on and off the ship, paying for drinks/excursions). I read on another thread that you leave your cruise card in the cabin on the last day and there are two cards. Please can someone explain the system on P&O please?

Just back from Ventura..

You get a cruise card allocated when you register and get on the ship. This is used for all onboard spend.

There is also a cabin door card found in your cabin along with the litlle blue P&O wallet thing to hold both your cruise card and your cabin card.

The cabin door card is left in the cabin when you leave, and once you have scanned yourself off Ventura for the last time, your cruise card is taken off you.

I did ask to keep it but they said that it was not possibe.

Does leave you with a little blue wallet thing, to do what with, who knows !!

No pressure then :)

There will be few negatives in my review, little to grumble about and generally impressed with Azura.

We did witness what we consider to be an early contender for 'Complaint of the Year'. A man and his wife went to reception as the flag at the aft of Azura was wrapped around the pole. They demanded that this was corrected and when told that no-one was available they said there must be someone on the bridge with authority. We were on the aft deck as they told this story and had their camera ready to record a properly flying flag.

As they say, you couldn't make it up!

I'm looking forward to reading your review as I will be cruising transatlantic on the Azura in October.

Only post positive things please ;)

I agree when you se/hear what some people complain about you could write a book, a comedy of course. :D

• 3 months later...
Anyone who has recently been on Ventura know if it is one card or two?

Now just one card. No wallet. (No need for a wallet, perhaps? - I got the feeling on previous cruises that the wallet was to help you keep the two cards together.)

But because Ventura didn't have the 'cabin power control' stuff put in when she was built, she doesn't have it now. So the 'one card' is just for purchases, opening the cabin door, and of course passenger logging/monitoring when you leave the ship & return to it.

Oh - one other difference there. The security staff were mainly using a magnetic reader and not optically reading the bar code when you left/returned; except that if reading the magnetic strip didn't work they could switch to the former optical method.

Now just one card. No wallet. (No need for a wallet, perhaps? - I got the feeling on previous cruises that the wallet was to help you keep the two cards together.)

But because Ventura didn't have the 'cabin power control' stuff put in when she was built, she doesn't have it now. So the 'one card' is just for purchases, opening the cabin door, and of course passenger logging/monitoring when you leave the ship & return to it.

Oh - one other difference there. The security staff were mainly using a magnetic reader and not optically reading the bar code when you left/returned; except that if reading the magnetic strip didn't work they could switch to the former optical method.

Thanks. Also, I was wondering if you got to keep your cruise card when you left. I heard that this isn't the case, but things may have changed.

Thanks. Also, I was wondering if you got to keep your cruise card when you left. I heard that this isn't the case, but things may have changed.

Unfortunately they still take the card off you when you disembark (Ventura).

For some reason this really annoys me. I like to keep the card as a souvenir, can't see what their issue with this is. :(

On the penultimate day, pack your card in your case and pop to reception for a new one :-) I have a nice little collection.

Our 'one-card' cruise on Ventura was N114 which started on 27th of May. So it looks as if the change was made very recently.

I prefer one; having two confused my DH and he often tried to use the wrong card to open the cabin door - P&O was the only cruise company we have used that had separate cards for opening the door and for purchases:)

I still have my card from my only previous cruise onboard Costa Serena. It has my name and the dates of my cruise printed on the back of it. Assuming P & O cards are the same why not let you keep them. It's not as if they will be of any use to anyone else or on any other cruise and they can easily wipe the door access codes before you leave.

Archived