Cave Tubing ???????

maryland

Hi all - We have booked the cave tubing with Nacho & Cynthia and have a few questions:

1. What should we wear when we get off the ship? Is it better to wear shorts/t-shirt

and change there (are there changing facilities) or is it ok to just wear bathing suits

& a cover-up to hike thru the jungle?

2. What about taking pictures? I noticed that a lot of people have taken pictures - did you use a waterproof disposable camera, waterproof bags for your camera,or

nothing?

3. Was it safe to leave things in the van?

4. Is bug spray really needed?

5. Would crocs with a back strap work instead of water shoes? I need something with

more cushioning for walking.

Thanks - heading out in 2 weeks!!!

Hi there

We also booked our cave tubing tour with Nacho & Cynthia when we dock in Belize on March 24th.

I had asked Nacho a few questions via e-mail here's what he mentioned:

1. Bring bug spray

2. There are lockers for us to put our stuff in before we start the hike

3. He said to bring a water proof camera and if you want pictures in the cave make sure it has a flash. I couldn't find a disposable waterproof with a flash. :(

4. Mentioned to wear our swim wear under our clothes OR that we could change before we headed out for the caves.

5. He said the hike was about 30-35mins to the river

6. I asked if I could wear water shoes for the hike - Nacho said that would be fine or that some people wear tennis shoes or shoes that they don't mind getting wet.

Not sure if that helps or not. I hope that others post as well - I'm curious about what to wear as well. I really don't want to take alot with us.

We are looking forward to this excursion :)

Enjoy!!

Mandy

Hi all - We have booked the cave tubing with Nacho & Cynthia and have a few questions:

1. What should we wear when we get off the ship? Is it better to wear shorts/t-shirt

and change there (are there changing facilities) or is it ok to just wear bathing suits

& a cover-up to hike thru the jungle?

We went with Vitalino from .bz, two years ago... We just went with our bathing suits on... the whole trip does take quite some time, leaving maybe an hour or two for shopping, but Belize City isn't a great place to walk around, aside from the tour, we didn't really leave the port shops.

2. What about taking pictures? I noticed that a lot of people have taken pictures - did you use a waterproof disposable camera, waterproof bags for your camera,or

nothing?

I have a digital camera and bought the waterproof case for it... You do have to jump into the water and climb into your tube, so a regular camera will get wet.

3. Was it safe to leave things in the van?

The area they take you to is solely for the cave-tubing vendors. Everyone has their tubes around this general area, with few people "outside" the area... it's quite remote. We left our backpacks in Vitalino's van, which was locked... you should be fine as well... The tour vendors respect each other's stuff, I'm sure.

4. Is bug spray really needed?

You are walking through a rain forest. Gravel paths, giant plants I've never seen so big before... It's a good idea. Mosquito bites stink.

5. Would crocs with a back strap work instead of water shoes? I need something with

more cushioning for walking.

I used my water shoes... The hiking trails, like I mentioned, are gravel... a few slippery spots around some rocks, but I suppose the crocs would work. If a stone gets caught in there, you can shake it out quickly. Just be mindful not to lose your crocs during the tubing. We were linked up with our feet under the arms of the person in front of us... If the crocs will stay on, you should be fine.

Thanks - heading out in 2 weeks!!!

Mack2 - Thanks so much. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

There are changing rooms with a shower at the parking lot for the caves, so if you want to bring dry clothes for the return trip you can manage. The bug spray is a GOOD idea.

Archived