Meet and Greets

cdamion

I have set up several Meet-n-Greets for CC roll calls through Carnival. I have not opted for any “pay” or open bar options. I contact Carnival Groups Administration a few months prior and let them know that our Cruise Critic roll call (of “x” number of people) would like to have a venue set aside for an hour for a meeting place. They have ALWAYS been very accommodating, and have no problems knowing that it’s for a CC group. Most of the time I have asked for a place on embarkation day between 5 and 6 PM – that usually means that the safety briefing and sail-away has already occurred. Once or twice we set it up for late morning on the first sea day.

The easiest line to set up with is Celebrity, which provides a link to register through their website for CC meet and greets. On the Constellation there were perhaps 3 or 4 crew members who came, and a photographer showed up to take a group photo.

The most impressive meeting we have attended was on the NCL Epic just last week. I contacted the Group Event Planner for the Epic a few months prior and kept them updated on the expected headcount for the meeting. When we arrived at the meeting (first sea day) there were a couple of dozen people (CC’ers) there and they had a nice spread of coffee/juices/Danish/etc.. In addition to that there were EIGHT senior staff people in attendance who all spoke to the group. This included the Captain, Hotel Director, Chef, F&B manager, Cruise Director… They handed out cards to everyone with their contact numbers on it – suggesting we call them if we had ANY issues. They REALLY made a point to show that they care. This, from what I understand with my limited knowledge of NCL, is par for the course for them. Let’s put it this way: They ARE NOT #1, so THEY TRY HARDER! ;)

Tom

The price of $ 11.44 for open bar is for 1 hour. Drinks flow nicely so after an hour most peop;le are done.

I'm sailing in April with a large group that was quoted $9.78 per person for open bar private cocktail party. Not sure how many people committed or length of party though. We said yes though!

I'm sailing in April with a large group that was quoted $9.78 per person for open bar private cocktail party. Not sure how many people committed or length of party though. We said yes though!

I do know the $ 11.44 includes a tip to bartenders so wondering if someone made an error and forgot that part.

In any case they sure give you as much as you could want to drink. Also to answer the previous poster you can get pretty much any drink you could want.

I do know the $ 11.44 includes a tip to bartenders so wondering if someone made an error and forgot that part.

In any case they sure give you as much as you could want to drink. Also to answer the previous poster you can get pretty much any drink you could want.

Yeah the Carnival rep told me there is a 15% service charge added to the 9.95 regular charge. Whoever is having the open bar charged onto their sail and sign is gonna be surprised if they didn't charge the other roll call members the correct fee.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Keep in mind that it may take them several days to reply. Also, don't try to conceal that you are doing this for a CC group - in spite of reports to the contrary, I have not witnessed any "discrimination" towards our cult! :D

Tom

Keep in mind that it may take them several days to reply. Also, don't try to conceal that you are doing this for a CC group - in spite of reports to the contrary, I have not witnessed any "discrimination" towards our cult! :D

Tom

Appreciate the info!

I have set up several Meet-n-Greets for CC roll calls through Carnival. I have not opted for any “pay” or open bar options. I contact Carnival Groups Administration a few months prior and let them know that our Cruise Critic roll call (of “x” number of people) would like to have a venue set aside for an hour for a meeting place. They have ALWAYS been very accommodating, and have no problems knowing that it’s for a CC group. Most of the time I have asked for a place on embarkation day between 5 and 6 PM – that usually means that the safety briefing and sail-away has already occurred. Once or twice we set it up for late morning on the first sea day.

The easiest line to set up with is Celebrity, which provides a link to register through their website for CC meet and greets. On the Constellation there were perhaps 3 or 4 crew members who came, and a photographer showed up to take a group photo.

The most impressive meeting we have attended was on the NCL Epic just last week. I contacted the Group Event Planner for the Epic a few months prior and kept them updated on the expected headcount for the meeting. When we arrived at the meeting (first sea day) there were a couple of dozen people (CC’ers) there and they had a nice spread of coffee/juices/Danish/etc.. In addition to that there were EIGHT senior staff people in attendance who all spoke to the group. This included the Captain, Hotel Director, Chef, F&B manager, Cruise Director… They handed out cards to everyone with their contact numbers on it – suggesting we call them if we had ANY issues. They REALLY made a point to show that they care. This, from what I understand with my limited knowledge of NCL, is par for the course for them. Let’s put it this way: They ARE NOT #1, so THEY TRY HARDER! ;)

Tom

Wish Carnival did either one of those===myabe one day haha.

Tom

Do you have to say who your group is? I plan on leaving out the fact that we are a Cruise Critic group. Should we just make up a group name?:)

I have a phone number that I have found searching the threads that I plan on calling on Monday or will they only correspond the info through email.

Do you have to say who your group is? I plan on leaving out the fact that we are a Cruise Critic group. Should we just make up a group name?:)

I have a phone number that I have found searching the threads that I plan on calling on Monday or will they only correspond the info through email.

I have been able to deal with them directly via email.

As for leaving out the fact that yours would be a CC group - I honestly don't see why you would want to conceal that (it's not a scarlet letter). Perhaps you could ask some of the others on here how they went about their plans.

On most sailings there has been an entry in the Fun Times listing the time/place of the "Cruise Critic" Meeting. That did not occur on the Miracle, where apparently Malcolm (CD) has continuing problems getting the right stuff on the right day in the Fun Times! :rolleyes:

Tom

You need to use your booking number if you are going to be the one organizing it. The whole open bar party will be charged to your account if that is what you end up doing. Not sure what they do for an informal gathering spot.

I just told them it was a group of friends that wanted to do a meet and greet and what could they offer, they told me about the open bar so that is what they did.

They will only organize it through the e-mail I provided on page 1. I called and that is what they told me to use to book it.

Tom

This has always been our experience with NCL. Been to 3 and all went exactly as you described. Of course, the person who did the planning and organizing did a terrific job each time as I am sure you did also, Tom.:)

Mary

I have been able to deal with them directly via email.

As for leaving out the fact that yours would be a CC group - I honestly don't see why you would want to conceal that (it's not a scarlet letter). Perhaps you could ask some of the others on here how they went about their plans.

On most sailings there has been an entry in the Fun Times listing the time/place of the "Cruise Critic" Meeting. That did not occur on the Miracle, where apparently Malcolm (CD) has continuing problems getting the right stuff on the right day in the Fun Times! :rolleyes:

Tom

I have never seen a listing on the Funtimes for any of my roll calls. I never knew the Carnival would list it for us.

You need to use your booking number if you are going to be the one organizing it. The whole open bar party will be charged to your account if that is what you end up doing. Not sure what they do for an informal gathering spot.

I just told them it was a group of friends that wanted to do a meet and greet and what could they offer, they told me about the open bar so that is what they did.

They will only organize it through the e-mail I provided on page 1. I called and that is what they told me to use to book it.

Thank you for the information. I will email then and not wait until Monday to call the number I found if it isn't going to do any good. Thanks again!:)

I have never seen a listing on the Funtimes for any of my roll calls. I never knew the Carnival would list it for us.

The format is WAY off, but here is what they sent to me as an email confirmation:

Group NameBooking #Group TypeTotal Group Guests

# of Attendees Onboard Contact DiningEventor Requirement Date Time Location Event Details

Thomas

E Mail: gatrnol@hotmail.com

Group Leader Thomas

Cabin #4228

Early

Cruise Critic Meeting

01/22 - Sat

5:00-6:00 pm

Sam's Piano Bar

Food & Beverage

Cash Bar. All guests will purchase drinks using their individual Sal & Sign Account cards.

Equipment

One corded microphone and stand

Fun Times Announcement: Cruise Critic Meeting - Saturday 1/22/11- 5:00-6:00 PM

Thomas

Group LeaderThomas

Cabin #4228

Early

Cruise Critic Meeting

01/23 - Sun

10:00-10:30 am

Frankie & Johnnie's

No Food & Beverage or equipment requested

The second one mentioned above was set up as a staging area for our Slot Pull.

Tom

The format is WAY off, but here is what they sent to me as an email confirmation:

Group NameBooking #Group TypeTotal Group Guests

# of Attendees Onboard Contact DiningEventor Requirement Date Time Location Event Details

Thomas

Group Leader Thomas

Cabin #4228

Early

Cruise Critic Meeting

01/22 - Sat

5:00-6:00 pm

Sam's Piano Bar

Food & Beverage

Cash Bar. All guests will purchase drinks using their individual Sal & Sign Account cards.

Equipment

One corded microphone and stand

Fun Times Announcement: Cruise Critic Meeting - Saturday 1/22/11- 5:00-6:00 PM

Thomas

Group LeaderThomas

Cabin #4228

Early

Cruise Critic Meeting

01/23 - Sun

10:00-10:30 am

Frankie & Johnnie's

No Food & Beverage or equipment requested

The second one mentioned above was set up as a staging area for our Slot Pull.

Tom

Thanks for posting this! It will be a big help!:)

This is what happens when you sail a rag and tag cruiseline like Carnival - treat CC people like sh-t

While our Celebrity Constellation Meet-n-Greet (set up through the cruise line) went off without a hitch (Thanksgiving 2008) - ours on the Solstice last year was a FLOP. I received from Celebrity the location and time of the CC meeting. When we arrived there, it was at a bar (atrium level) and there was no signage, the bartender didn't know anything about it, and nobody (officer, etc) ever showed up. That was a real let down, as I was expecting something similar to our Constellation get-together!

... moral of that story -- Celebrity can DROP THE BALL too! ;)

783322187_w2MJH-L-1.jpg

Tom

Archived