rum point

beach lover 2001

We are also going to be in GC week of April 24th on Explorer. We've rented a jeep through Avis. I am very interested in your experience at Rum Point because we've been trying to figure out which direction to go in. Is there any snorkeling from the beach at Rum Point? We have a 5 and 8 year old who love to snorkel, but I'd like for them to be able to walk into the water.

Also, you mentioned that they prefer you do not bring your own food. Can you comment on whether the snack bar had light lunch items (ie: hot dog, hamburger, etc).

Thanks!

Rum Point would probably be the best bet for little ones snorkling. The water in generally shallower than 7 mile beach and, although there are no reefs directly off the point, the is plenty for them to look at in the water. Especially if they have the typical imaginations of kids that age! I believe they even sell snorkel gear at rum point in the little shop.

There is almost no surf at all because the beach faces in towards the bay rather than out to the sea. 7 mile beach has some moderate surf and they have what's called the "Cayman Drop Off" which may or may not be there any more after the Hurricane. About 5 feet (depending on the tide) into the water at 7 mile beach the floor drops off and goes from knee/thigh level to waist level.

The snack bar is pretty much as you suspect. You can get sodas and rum punch and things like that as well as burgers and hot dogs and a few more exotic things but it's a very casual atmosphere. There are picnic tables around in the shade and hammocks strung up between palms. The kids will love riding around the island in the jeep!

Thanks so much for the feedback Ann, I think you just helped me make the final decision on where to go for some beach time! The kids are perfectly happy with hot dogs, I'm perfectly happy with rum punch, and the beach sounds amazing!

I am sooooo looking forward to it!

Thanks again

Just back from NCL Spirit, we also rented a jeep from Avis in GC. When you tender in walk to the right about 4 blocks to the Blue Iguana, go inside and there is a courtesy phone to call Avis and they will send a bus for you. About a 15min wait and a 10 min ride to the airport to pickup the jeep.Process was quick if you already had reservations.

Now...if you are like me, and had never drove on the left side before, it can be a little tricky.Driving to Rum Point was a breeze ( all left turns) and once you get out of Georgetown the traffic is little to none. The scenic drive was great, but losts and losts of damage from the hurricane.Once at rum point I was amazed because the fact that there were 6 ships in dock that day, it wasn't very crowded. You can snorkle,rent canoes,jetskis,water peddle bikes or just sun in the lounge chairs that are provided. We didn't eat there but looked at a menu and there was a good selection and reasonable.

Stayed there for a couple of hrs and headed back.Driving back was easy until you get back into town and had to start making right hand turns at the confusing intersections :confused: ,that seemed like cars were coming at you from every direction and I got really nervous . But....I made it back to the airport without any mishaps.

There was a bus full waiting on us when we returned, only 2 seats left were in the front seat, so being still ,turned around I proceeded to the what is normally the passenger side to get in and The driver asked me did I want to drive? Of course I felt silly:o ....and went to the other side ( I'm sure the other passengers were relieved)

It was a fun and interesting day and great weather!

Hope you have a great time.:) :) :)

Thank you so much for the information on the Avis car rental! We were thinking about heading up toward's Cemetary Beach and Hell, but after reading such great things about Rum Point, we are heading there. I found a website that had a map of the Rum Point area and it mentioned an area where there is an abundance of starfish, and another area well known for shells, both of which fascinate my young daughters. It sounds like a nice relaxing day in one spot rather than trying to squeeze too much in.

Thanks again! I hope you had a wonderful trip, we are really looking forward to ours next week!

Hi Vale,

Check out this website:

http://caymanislandsdiscounts.com/OffshoreSnorkeling.htm

It is the website for Island Marketing, which is an excursion company (we actually are using them in Costa Maya, and booked the Avis car rental through them as well).

This page will bring you to an overview of the various snorkeling spots on the island, including an indication of the level of difficulty for each location. Scroll down to "Rum Point" and there is a map you can click on and print out.

The map will show you where the starfish and shelling areas are located a little further down the road from the public beach.

Enjoy! We are soo looking forward to visiting Rum Point, I am so glad that I stumbled upon this thread!

Just back from NCL Spirit, we also rented a jeep from Avis in GC. When you tender in walk to the right about 4 blocks to the Blue Iguana, go inside and there is a courtesy phone to call Avis and they will send a bus for you. About a 15min wait and a 10 min ride to the airport to pickup the jeep.Process was quick if you already had reservations.

Now...if you are like me, and had never drove on the left side before, it can be a little tricky.Driving to Rum Point was a breeze ( all left turns) and once you get out of Georgetown the traffic is little to none. The scenic drive was great, but losts and losts of damage from the hurricane.Once at rum point I was amazed because the fact that there were 6 ships in dock that day, it wasn't very crowded. You can snorkle,rent canoes,jetskis,water peddle bikes or just sun in the lounge chairs that are provided. We didn't eat there but looked at a menu and there was a good selection and reasonable.

Stayed there for a couple of hrs and headed back.Driving back was easy until you get back into town and had to start making right hand turns at the confusing intersections :confused: ,that seemed like cars were coming at you from every direction and I got really nervous . But....I made it back to the airport without any mishaps.

There was a bus full waiting on us when we returned, only 2 seats left were in the front seat, so being still ,turned around I proceeded to the what is normally the passenger side to get in and The driver asked me did I want to drive? Of course I felt silly:o ....and went to the other side ( I'm sure the other passengers were relieved)

It was a fun and interesting day and great weather!

Hope you have a great time.:) :) :)

On the Avis cruise ship site they say the Blue Iguana is right across the street from where the tender leaves you off and you say you have to walk 4 blocks????

It is not right across from where the tender drops you off...it might only be 3 blks but you do have to walk. It's right next door to the Hard rock Cafe.

But you get to window shop in some really nice stores along the way.

Archived