Children's program

My son is 6 and not too highly interested in doing activities with total strangers in a strange setting, etc. That said, he has agreed to at least check out the children's program. (It makes no difference to me, but I hate for him to miss out on something he might really enjoy.)

Now, is that actually an option? I've read lots of references to signing the kids up for the program... if I sign him up, that does not entail any sort of commitment to actually using the program, does it? I think he'd really just like to look around and maybe see if there's a schedule of what they'll be doing when. I had read somewhere that some of the activities are science-oriented, and since he's going to be a scientist/inventor/artist/President some day, he was pretty excited about that, lol.

My son is 6 and not too highly interested in doing activities with total strangers in a strange setting, etc. That said, he has agreed to at least check out the children's program. (It makes no difference to me, but I hate for him to miss out on something he might really enjoy.)

Now, is that actually an option? I've read lots of references to signing the kids up for the program... if I sign him up, that does not entail any sort of commitment to actually using the program, does it? I think he'd really just like to look around and maybe see if there's a schedule of what they'll be doing when. I had read somewhere that some of the activities are science-oriented, and since he's going to be a scientist/inventor/artist/President some day, he was pretty excited about that, lol.

I don't think there is any obligation once you sign up. Our 5 year old will be checking it out for the first time and if he is really unhappy there would be no way we would be making him attend. I hope both the boys like it though.

There is no commitment. You can choose to have him attend or not attend any session. And you can come to take him before the session is over.

My DD was eight during her first cruise. She is shy and introverted. She enjoyed Adventure Ocean from the very beginning and couldn't wait to return and participate. The staff are very experienced with children, and the activities are fun and age-appropriate -- your son will quickly make new friends.

Agree with everyone. My DD turned 3 yo on her 1st cruise. She was kinda shy and I didn't think she would be interested at all. We went to the 1st night orientation and she immediately fell in love. I just about had to drag her away from the program that evening. After that, I basically never saw her. In fact, we had to beg her to eat dinner with us.

With all that said, make sure you take your DS to the 1st night orientation; he may surprise you.

Absolutely no obligation to attend. Signing him up just makes him eligible to attend, and they'll put a bracelet on him indicating his muster station, so that they know exactly where to bring him, in the unlikely event there is a reason to call passengers to muster.

But he can attend every session, if he likes it, or none, if he's not interested. I think you are right to have him give it a try, though. He might end up liking it, and if he doesn't, then no harm done. :cool:

You make no commitment at all by filling out forms. It's just your basic kind of info about medical issues, who can sign him in/out, muster station bracelet. I would definitely make sure to bring him up for a bit sometime the first full day just so he can check it out and meet the kids and the staff. You may be surprised. All 3 of my kids are shy and introverted, and they never wanted to leave the place. Seriously, like the poster above, my sons don't want to go to the pool, get off the ship, see me and my DH, or do much of anything other than run right up to Adventure Ocean. My daughter likes to hang with us in the day and go up to AO in the evening. My oldest son used to hurry us to eat dinner faster so he wouldn't miss anything there. The staff are great. Besides the science stuff they do arts and crafts, games, parades, and something called "Gaga Ball" that my sons think is the best thing ever.

Your son may want to Visit our Young Adventurers page

When my son was 6 he came with us and said that he didn't want to go to the kid's club. We took him up anyway just to look around to be sure. After checking it out, he decided that "maybe it wouldn't be so bad" just to visit there one morning and then we should come get him at lunch.

We dragged the boy out. He did NOT want to leave.

After that, he couldn't wait to get rid of us and go to Adventure Ocean. He wanted to stay after midnight every night. He didn't even want to eat dinner with us!

When the cruise was over he actually cried about how much he was going to miss his new buddies and the staff!!

We hear he had a great time on his cruise LOL!:D

Archived